Options

huh?

cnortoncnorton Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
using "Get Certified Get Ahead" to study for Sec+. And I notice while studying, there are some errors in the book... While these seem to be minor errors, I'm a little concerned that now the book may not be accurate...I mean my dang job depends on this funky cert. So what gives...isn't the author on this board? whats up...?icon_exclaim.gificon_confused.gif:

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cnorton wrote: »
    using "Get Certified Get Ahead" to study for Sec+. And I notice while studying some errors in the book? While these seem to be minor errors, I'm a little concerned that now the book may not be accurate...I mean my dang job depends on this funky cert. So what gives...isn't the author on this board? whats up...?icon_exclaim.gificon_confused.gif:

Show a little respect for Darril here. Yes he does participate on this board, and yes there are some errors in the book. There are errors in EVERY book. At least Darril owns up to them and puts in quite a bit of effort to find them and maintain the list.

The book is the single best material for this "funky cert."
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Right, always have the errata handy for any tech book: CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead Errata

That is definitely a relatively low number of errors.

*shakes fist at Miller*
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    dynamik wrote: »
    Right, always have the errata handy for any tech book: CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead Errata

That is definitely a relatively low number of errors.

*shakes fist at Miller*

too slow.....icon_cheers.gif
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Show a little respect for Darril here. Yes he does participate on this board, and yes there are some errors in the book. There are errors in EVERY book. At least Darril owns up to them and puts in quite a bit of effort to find them and maintain the list.

The book is the single best material for this "funky cert."

dude...hit the brakes...just wanted Mr. Darryl to give me a blurb, like yeah, the published muffed up...something like that...this is the reason, why I posted...duh...

um..why do you think I have the book, dude, its not that serious..
  • Options
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you find any errors not listed in the erratra then you can shoot Darril a PM and he'll address the issue.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dude...hit the brakes...just wanted Mr. Darryl to give me a blurb, like yeah, the published muffed up...something like that...this is the reason, why I posted...duh...

Then ask politely. Darril doesn't owe you anything. Any help that he gives is purely out of the goodness in his heart.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is only important that when the errors are found that they are addressed. This has been done for this book.

This book is a very solid resource in preperation for the Sec+ exam. I used the book as my main reference to the day of my test last week.

Anyone who purchases the book will not be disappointed.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seriously, I don't know what the point of your rant was, but if you were trying to be cute/funny, it was neither.

As others have said, there is an errata and I like the fact that he added the Kindle locations (when I purchased the Kindle edition, this was not available and we're talking a few months ago).

If you happen to find an error, rather than trying to be a d-bag, you can email him personally. He would definitely address it.

Hands down, this is the best resources...before I was reading it, I was getting like 60-65% average....then after I got key concepts down, I'm getting 80-85%. I'm taking the test this Thursday (and I got the ok from my boss) and I'm bringing Darril and my Kindle with me. :D

But when I pass, that will confirm that this book is hands down the best resource to use!
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    using "Get Certified Get Ahead" to study for Sec+. And I notice while studying, there are some errors in the book... While these seem to be minor errors, I'm a little concerned that now the book may not be accurate...I mean my dang job depends on this funky cert. So what gives...isn't the author on this board? whats up...?icon_exclaim.gificon_confused.gif:

dude... you're the one that insinuated that this book was not accurate. If you took the time to read the multitude of posts you would have seen that this book has helped many pass this funky exam. Better yet, it helps you to understand the concepts, instead of just memorizing what you need to know to pass.

All we ask is that you think before you speak or post. I, like many here, used this book as my primary study tool and also found the errors. But some quick reading pointed me to the errata page. We are all here to help each other understand and progress in the IT field and that, to many of us, is very serious.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

WOW,

Little rocky start here, hey?

Listen, this is not my favorite text but with any exam (I prefer the Sybex deluxe text), it is recommended to use mulitple resources (and/or texts) to prepare to gain perspective on topics this book at least makes a great second text to prepare.

I'm not a fan of a few areas of the text. However if you'd take the time read through these forum, you'll notice...my opinion of this text will definately be in the minority (or those who dislike it don't post they don't like it). Nevertheless, this book does make a great second text and for many a first text.

As already commented, the amount of errors found in Darril's book are very low...very low compared to many texts. Darril is an active member here, and he is very accepting to comments of his book, as well as has gone out-of-his way to clarify areas of his books if a poster here doesn't understand something (He's posted video, noted corrections to typo's, etc..)

Purchase the Sybex text if you prefer...do note though, there is errata for Sybex as well (keep in mind, Sybex has a team of people to test texts before publishing...and they have published a previous version on this topic already as well as similar titles under the same topic):

CompTIA Certification Exam Security Plus, (Security+), Hardware/Software Study, More - Sybex

CompTIA Security+: CompTIA Security+ Deluxe Study Guide: SY0-201 - Book Information - Sybex

So, good luck. Invest in a second and third book to prepare if you need it.

And unless you only used Darril's text plus your own experience in this area and failed the Sec+...at this point, you indicated you are only in the preparing stage of this exam...the only reasonable comment would be that you don't like 'x' about the text. IMO
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I didn't even know about Darril's book before I took the exam as I found this forum the same week I took the test. I used Sybex and Labsim and found them to be adequate. The Labsim video would be an excellent second resource for the OP and it contains a huge practice test question bank.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.