Options

Prunning

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I am looking to clean up our network and I noticed VTP prunning. I can't think of any reason why we wouldn't have this turned on. Anyone know of a situation that would cause you NOT to turn this on?

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Shouldn't be a big deal. Do you have VLANs spanning multiple switches in your network? I'm just curious of the design of the network you're in.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Shouldn't be a big deal. Do you have VLANs spanning multiple switches in your network? I'm just curious of the design of the network you're in.

-Peanut

We do. I soon plan to have it such that all of our voice vlans come off a particular set of switches and all of our data vlans on particular switches.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well at the moment I've only got 2 VLAN's, one for my voice, and one for my data.

And well, I kinda need both to go everywhere :):D

As for a situation where you are needing to use VLAN Pruning

What about if you are using 802.1Q-in-Q tunneling, and you don't want particular VLAN traffic to flood to a different site?
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    What about if you are using 802.1Q-in-Q tunneling, and you don't want particular VLAN traffic to flood to a different site?

Yea, I have no idea what that is icon_redface.gif At any rate I think we should go ahead and prune on our network. Anything we can do to save some bandwidth should be good.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never actually seen anyone use auto pruning. Everything I have seen has used the manual method of VLAN allow lists on trunks.

Let us know how it goes if you make the change. I would wait until after hours to be safe though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    We prune manually and use VTP as little as possible for anything.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Yea, I have no idea what that is icon_redface.gif At any rate I think we should go ahead and prune on our network. Anything we can do to save some bandwidth should be good.

Then errr, ignore me:D
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Well at the moment I've only got 2 VLAN's, one for my voice, and one for my data.

And well, I kinda need both to go everywhere :):D

No management VLAN to separate your traffic from your user's traffic?

BTW... Good point Networker and ColbyG. Manually pruning is a much better option.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    No, not at the moment - I'm planning an overhaul of the network which will address this though.

Trouble is - I'm not sure if my position is secure - so I don't want to go running in all guns blazing changing everything, just yet.

Though, maybe I should :D