Options

Phone Interview for Senior Systems Administrator

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Overview:
The Senior Systems Administrator will be responsible for the design, maintenance, operation and support of the Wide Area Network, Storage Area Network and server infrastructures. This is a hands-on position with a wide range of duties supporting business critical systems running primarily on CISCO and Microsoft hardware and software. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years experience designing and supporting similar environment(s).

Responsibilities:

Administer all aspects of the Foundation's wired and wireless data network and infrastructure
Full Windows Server 2003/2008 administration life cycle duties including installation, configuration, upgrade, patching, optimization, performance monitoring, troubleshooting, capacity planning, virtual machine management, and documentation of the technical environment
Administer core systems including Microsoft Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint as well as patch and print management
Refine and document standards and procedures for the Cisco-based network including routers, switches, firewalls, VPN, DNS, servers and related services.
Develop and implement operational procedures to proactively monitor networking and telecommunications infrastructure
Develop and implement systems designs and configuration based on business requirements
Provide Level II and Level III technical support
Provide technical coaching and share best practices with IT staff including IT interns

Qualifications:

Thorough knowledge of common network protocols and operating systems and their associated security and vulnerabilities
Five years minimum real-world experience implementing and administering enterprise-level TCP/IP network and x86 server infrastructure
Must demonstrate Level III proficiency in the following technologies:
Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008, including clustering, Active Directory, WSUS, Group Policies, DNS, Wins, DHCP
Microsoft Exchange 2007/2010; ActiveSync and Blackberry Enterprise Server, Microsoft WSUS
TCP/IP and Cisco networking technologies including Cisco ASA Firewall setup, configuration and maintenance
Fiber Channel and iSCSI Storage Area Networks
Current Microsoft and Cisco certification. MCSA preferred. CCIE, CCNP or CCNA desired
Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills

Other Desired Skills & Experience

Experience with VPN, IPSEC, Certificate and PKI services
Experience with multi-forest design and implementation
Microsoft IIS and SQL servers
VMWare server experience
Experience with load balancing web technologies as well as intrusion prevention and detection systems
Cross platform support for Windows/OSX/Linux
WAMP or LAMP stacks
Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products
Highly self-motivated, self-directed, and attentive to detail
Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment

Work Conditions

Occasional Lifting Of Heavy (> 50 Lbs) Objects, Bending, Pulling, Collating/Filing, And Occasional Lifting, Carrying, And/Or Moving Boxes, Files, Etc., Some Of Which Could Be Heavy (>50 Lbs) Or Require The Use Of Carts.
> 90% Computer monitor, keyboard, mouse and other equipment use
Significant computer work, which may require repetitive motion, prolonged periods of sitting, and sustained visual and mental applications and demands
Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings. Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
< 5% Lifting heavy objects and crawling into small areas
On-call availability for emergencies on nights and weekends

Pretty simple stuff but have not work with exchange 2010 but not much different then 2007.
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It seems a bit odd to me. Obviously, there was someone there smart enough to know all of the related certifications to list on the job posting. However, want an MCSA, and say CCIE, CNNP, and CCNA would be desirable... something seems amiss there. So, this could be a very awesome opportunity, but I would suspect that the hiring manager has been in IT for years, but isn't very competent himself, nor has he been surrounded with people competent enough to handle a senior systems administrator role. This isn't always bad as it may give you more responsibility and perhaps the opportunity to go for the hiring manager's job if things don't pan out for him/her down the road. If you encounter the situation, just don't get frustrated... it would be very easy to let that happen. Keep yourself inserted into technical conversations and always make sure that you express that you are making the decisions for the business, else people may think that you want to work with technology because it is "cool."
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Powerfool. I had the same impression. I do believe the it director might be. I will get a better feel at 4:00. You always do things for company.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck with the interview. I'm sure you'll nail it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks.... I am going in it feeling pretty positive.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Thanks.... I am going in it feeling pretty positive.

Best of luck. I definitely look forward to reading the results.
  • Options
    I just got off the phone. Okay this might be a good oppt. The IT Director just came on board about a month ago. They need to get the one light up. They are going to need someone to oversee the entire process. They have some IBM sans that are not power on yet because they do not have A/C setup yet. Basically it is a new site in NY and they have three other sites that they need to bring up. Their main site is going to be in NY. The interview went well with him. I asked him alot of questions concerning the infrastructure they have in place now and what would be expected for this position. It is going to be a smaller environment then what I am use to now but it has potential to grow. They have primary Cisco network with Windows Infrastructure. All Windows 2008 / 2003 with Windows 7 Desktops.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I look forward to hearing your result. Just be positive, sell what you do know, and express what knowledge you have in weaker areas. They only mentioned ASA administration so it sounds like the networking should be pretty light.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Pretty simple stuff but have not work with exchange 2010 but not much different then 2007.

Actually it has quite a few differences. Retention policies, DAG, etc.

I suggest looking over some of that stuff, just to be aware of it. Good luck :)
  • Options
    Thanks. I am going to look over it tonight. I think it pretty well and he said he contact me by the end of the week for formal interview.
  • Options
    Whatever differences there are in Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2007 you should be able to pick up easily. It shouldn't be like going from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000, for example. :)
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Whatever differences there are in Exchange 2010 from Exchange 2007 you should be able to pick up easily. It shouldn't be like going from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000, for example. :)

Exactly :) How are you man?
  • Options
    Exactly :) How are you man?

Ehhhh.....between work and Security+ studying, I'm ok.....two more days and we'll know if I can get my life back. LMAO......

The unknown really gets me on edge....but I do have confidence.

How about you? I just did some looking on the boards....there really are a crapload of jobs in NYC.....man.....lmao. Hopefully it stays like that.
  • Options
    Cool glad to hear have life back together.
    Just a update. Heard back from the IT Director today. He sent me a email asking me to come in on Sept 2nd to meet him and the HR manager. I think it is looking good.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on that meeting next week. Hope you get it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    "Current Microsoft and Cisco certification. MCSA preferred. CCIE, CCNP or CCNA desired"

hahahaha
  • Options
    I agree the certifications people put is interesting.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck! I hope it works out for you :D
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on getting a callback.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck man!
  • Options
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    Went on my in person interview today. Met with HR and IT Director. Was there for about a good hour. I forgot what port ldap talks over but it is okay I do not remember port numbers all the time. I think it went really well and I am looking forward to hearing back from them. I am going to enjoy the labor day weekend and back to work on Monday. Every keep fingers crossed :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Went on my in person interview today. Met with HR and IT Director. Was there for about a good hour.
    Definitely a good sign, longer interviews generally mean they actually liked talking to you.
    I forgot what port ldap talks over but it is okay I do not remember port numbers all the time.
    Heh, it's always a little embarrassing when you forget something and they ask you about it. No sweat, though, as long as you're honest and show that you're not afraid to do a little research if needed.

All in all, it sounds like your interview went well. I've got my fingers crossed for you, here's to hoping they call you back with a nice, fat salary-offer. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I hoping too... I wish I could tell you guys all the rest but I will in due time especially if I get it.
  • Options
    You know you got this. :)

Good luck man!!