General Questions

rolyohhrolyohh Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am schedule to take the Security+ on Sept 1... I felt I was prepared but after seeing so many different pratice exams I feel a bit discouraged. I purchaed the CompTia Security+ Exam cram for my studying. I read the book, took notes, took all pratice exams and have reviewed all notes and have retaked the exams. Once I felt that I was prepared I started with taking the tests from the disk in cert mode (100 questions). I am passing the practice exams but how much does this book differ from the real exam?

I guess I feel like looking at all these test I need additional reading material. Any advice or am I just stressing myself out?

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't read that book, so I can't give specialized feedback. But I have heard good things from this book, and examcram books in general.

You are very likely just stressing yourself out. You still have a week to keep working, so you should use it. Ask questions on areas where you feel you need more clarification, read random articles on the web, and don't forget about the questions on CompTIA's website. (But don't get bent out of shape when you fail them. I scored 67% a few days before my exam but still went on to score 845 on the real thing.)

Good luck!

EDIT: And welcome to TE!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • rolyohhrolyohh Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I actually just failed the 30 questions on Comptias website... How many ways can you phrase a questions.. HA!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I even failed the practice test here on TE just days before scoring an 855 on the real test..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seriously, me too.....I started studying back in June when I figured I'd be going back to school. I was kinda on the fence before that whether or not I'd be taking this exam before the end of year. When I made up my mind to do it, I started studying. I was getting 50-65% on the Transcenders. I thought I was stupid or something. I then got a couple of study guides, plus the popular D. Gibson's book, and when I took the Transcenders again, I started getting above 80%. Seriously, my suggestion is to stop psyching yourself out. Once I followed that advice, I started passing practice exams.

You're taking this test on my birthday. :D Hopefully I'll hear that you passed. And for the first time in about 6 years, I'll be working on my birthday...(no escaping it, as it's the first day of school and management wants ALL hands on deck) so I hope to read about the pass.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'll be working on my birthday...(no escaping it, as it's the first day of school and management wants ALL hands on deck) so I hope to read about the pass.

Last year was the first year since I've had a job that I didn't work on my birthday, and that was purely conincidence. This year I'm supposed to work on it and have no intentions of taking it off. It is just another day.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say that if you are doing well on the practice questions that you should be fine on the actual exam.
    I would say that if you are doing well on the practice questions that you should be fine on the actual exam.

Thats just the thing, you don't do well on the practice questions. Transcender's I was scoring 70%'s 67% on the Comptia website, and I still came out with a good score.

Others have made the same complaints too, with the TE questions and with exam cram questions. For some reason they are all harder than the real test.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Thats just the thing, you don't do well on the practice questions. Transcender's I was scoring 70%'s 67% on the Comptia website, and I still came out with a good score.

Others have made the same complaints too, with the TE questions and with exam cram questions. For some reason they are all harder than the real test.

Right, but rolyohh is doing well on the practice exams which make me think he is probably ready for the exam. I'm saying practically the same thing you did:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/57418-general-questions.html#post442953
  • rolyohhrolyohh Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ha, yeah I felt pretty dumb too when I focused weeks in my studying and couldnt pass some of the online exams... I wonder what information I lacked but I think I am driving myself crazy. I did print out the study guide from this site, figured it would be a good review for this week. Well if I pass then Ill be getting hammered on your bday and if I dont pass I will still be getting hammered.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Last year was the first year since I've had a job that I didn't work on my birthday, and that was purely conincidence. This year I'm supposed to work on it and have no intentions of taking it off. It is just another day.

My whole thing is if there are a couple of dead dudes who get to shut things down on their birthdays, surely I can make my own a holiday.

But I'm not exactly crying about it. It was actually started by my very first boss back when I was a part-timer. She insisted I take the day off and sent me home...(paid, of course... :) ).

But I don't do anything special on it....just basically chill.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I was getting 50-65% on the Transcenders. I thought I was stupid or something.

That's the spirit icon_thumright.gif
    phoeneous wrote: »
    That's the spirit icon_thumright.gif

LMAO! Wow...I really did though...