To a person that already has a MCSA or MCSE, is Server+ worth it?

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Member ■■■■■■■■□□
I currently have the MCSA and I'm in the process of MCSE. 1) How easy will server+ be after those. And 2) Is it worth the time and money to get it?

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Posts: 438Member
    It's not worth doing IMO
  • rwmidlrwmidl CISSP, CISM, MCSE, MCSA, MCPxAlot Worldwide AvailabilityPosts: 807Member ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unless the job requirements specifically ask for it I don't think it's worth it.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • brewdbrewd Posts: 56Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the time to take it. It's a minimal investment of time and an easy certificate. However, considering I have a limited training budget, I would have rather put these training $'s into the CCNA:Security (I already have the CCNA budgeted for).
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's Server+?
  • apena7apena7 Posts: 351Member
    Agreed. It's not worth the price tag. Unless it's a job requirement, your employers are paying for it, or you have an invite to the beta exam, I would say skip it.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds good. Thats what I had heard in the past but I wanted to confirm those sources.

    Thanks for all of the replies!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Posts: 2,059Banned
    I did it in beta.

    If you have an MCSE, chances are you can walk in and pass it without study. I'd wait for a beta, though. No point in blowing that kind of cash on an entry cert.
    I got a fortune cookie that said "Outlook not so good" and I thought to myself "Yeah...but Microsoft sells it anyway."
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I did it in beta.

    If you have an MCSE, chances are you can walk in and pass it without study. I'd wait for a beta, though. No point in blowing that kind of cash on an entry cert.

    I'll probably do this. If nothing else I can plump up the resume a little.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Posts: 4,165Member
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I'll probably do this. If nothing else I can plump up the resume a little.


    I don't have an MCSE but I do have over a decade of server experience. If you find out when Server+ is in beta, let me know and I'll take it too on a lark. I'll just read the objectives and just show up.

    I won't spend the loot on it, but I'll do it for free. :)
  • krauserkrauser Posts: 95Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Question. It refreshed my memory when I was planning to do the Server+ instead of the MCSA.
  • wd40wd40 CISA, eJPT, MCP, MCTS, CompTIA x 6 Posts: 989Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I don't have an MCSE but I do have over a decade of server experience. If you find out when Server+ is in beta, let me know and I'll take it too on a lark. I'll just read the objectives and just show up.

    I won't spend the loot on it, but I'll do it for free. :)

    The last Server+ Beta was in July 2009, so I think the next one will be at least after 2 years from now.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Posts: 968Member
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I currently have the MCSA and I'm in the process of MCSE. 1) How easy will server+ be after those. And 2) Is it worth the time and money to get it?

    Thanks

    1. It'll be easier, however it does depend on the knowledge of the person and not just because they have the MCSE. I've meet MCSE's who couldn't join a PC to a domain - they will struggle. Another thing that I would point out is that the Server+ also covers hardware, which the MCSE doesn't.

    2. It depends, I took the beta. Would I have paid to do the released exam? Probably not, however I would have asked work to pay for it. Mainly because we're a Comptia ASC in Servers and Networks and we don't only work with Windows Servers.

    Am I glad that I got the Server+? Yes I am :)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Posts: 699Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Really? Security+ is not worth it even if you're going after MCSE: Security (once I get MCSE)?? I was going to go after this exam as an elective for the MCSE: Security....if Sec+ is not worth it, what do I take in it's place?
  • earweedearweed Posts: 5,192Member ■■■■■■■■■□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Really? Security+ is not worth it even if you're going after MCSE: Security (once I get MCSE)?? I was going to go after this exam as an elective for the MCSE: Security....if Sec+ is not worth it, what do I take in it's place?
    I think you misread Server+ as Security+
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Posts: 699Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I think you misread Server+ as Security+

    Whoops wow....my bad..
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Posts: 4,212Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    RomBUS wrote: »
    Whoops wow....my bad..

    Security+ is worth it. Server+ I think I want, but maybe I can do a beta or something. I don't want to pay for it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Posts: 661Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    If someone already has MCSA or MCSE, I think their money and time would be better spent on other certs vs Server +. I have yet to actually know or meet someone who is Server + certified in my career. Not that that is a bad thing, I just don't see it as a popular cert.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Posts: 504Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    If someone already has MCSA or MCSE, I think their money and time would be better spent on other certs vs Server +. I have yet to actually know or meet someone who is Server + certified in my career. Not that that is a bad thing, I just don't see it as a popular cert.

    I have both. I woud not go and get if if you already have MCSA. I got it because my job at the time was paying for certs. Since I already dealth with servers, I picked up a exam cram and tool the test. Look at security+, CCNA or finish your MCSE.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
Sign In or Register to comment.