Hacking Exposed book?

jpkennedy79jpkennedy79 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is this book good? Can anyone recommend a similar but better book? Thanks.

Comments

• /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Although I haven't read any similar books, it would be hard to beat Hacking Exposed 4th edition. It really is an excellent book and it achieves it's purpose. It compares to the CEH material. You can't go wrong with it.
  • jpkennedy79jpkennedy79 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:
    Although I haven't read any similar books, it would be hard to beat Hacking Exposed 4th edition. It really is an excellent book and it achieves it's purpose. It compares to the CEH material. You can't go wrong with it.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

How would you rate the toughness of the CEH exam compared to the Sec+ exam? Thanks.
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    /usr wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback.

How would you rate the toughness of the CEH exam compared to the Sec+ exam? Thanks.

I would have to say...compared to the Security+ exam..The CEH is much harder...it gets more into how the attacks are done, unlike the theory of the Security+ exam.
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
    Ten9t6 is right. Security+ also tests you over a lot of material, but the CEH exam tests you over even more. It is quite a bit harder than Security+.
  • hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    do most people do self study or attend e-coucil course for CEH?

any specific book good to study for CEH? heard the e-coucil text book get pretty bad review.
    Whoever told you that was probably mad because they failed the exam. icon_wink.gif

The EC-Council material is the official course material. It contains everything that will be on the exam. It really isn't lacking in any way. As for what most people do, I'm not sure. They would rather you shell out the $2000 or whatever to go to the training, I'm sure. However, if you're motivated enough, you can do the self-study just fine. EC-Council sells the kit on their webpage.

http://www.eccouncil.org
  • maxifoxmaxifox Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I noticed 5th edition of "Hacking Exposed" while only 4th edition is referenced here. To which edition to stick when preparing for the exam - 5th or 4th?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The EC Council Kit is pretty much exactly what you will get when attending courses. If you're a dedicated candidate, then you should be fine doing the self study. However the advantage of taking a class is that you can get more real world examples (assuming you do your homework on the instructor and demand one with real world experience).
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I noticed 5th edition of "Hacking Exposed" while only 4th edition is referenced here. To which edition to stick when preparing for the exam - 5th or 4th?

The "Hacking Exposed" series updates their material with each revision. I was at the RSA convention in 2005 when the authors were releasing the new edition. (They gave us free copies of the fourth edition for simply attending a presenation on MacAfee's new anti-spyware tool.) The Fifth edition was about a month from release at that time, I believe. In any case, I read through the 4th, but I may just buy the fifth, as well, or possibly the sixth, whenever it's released. It's basically the same book, just with updated material and methods for newer known vurnerabilities.

This book series is a great start for anyone who wants to get into or learn more about secrity and white hat hacking. You'll hear some people saying it's not worth your time, or "it sucks", but check it out for yourself. I say, go to a bookstore, get yourself a cup of coffee, and sit down to read a couple of pages. You'll find out if it's worth buying, or if you should find something else.

This is one of those weird catches in this industry: if you're good at something, of course an introductory course or book is going to seem like a waste of time for you. I've heard far too many people say "Oh, Linux+ sucks, it's too simple to for you to really learn anything," or "Security+ is a waste of time, go for a real certification, like CISSP." Most of the time, this comes from people who are very good at what they do, and they may not realize that entry-level certifications and "Introduction to. . ." books are perfect for people who are just starting out.

Either way, go check it out for yourself. Read a few pages at the bookstore, find out if the book is for you, and which edition is best for your situation.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • mehta_harshalmehta_harshal Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do Agree Hacking Exposed 4 is terrific

Ec Council material is good but only from an exam perspective , to know about it indept i think hackin exposed fully deserves the credit

C|EH is not tough go crack it.
    Harshal Mehta
    Information Security Analyst
    ISO 27001 IA C|EH cVa ITIL
    NII Consulting
    Mobile: +91 9819066601
  • milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    I am up in the air on this certification, I would not be able to list it on a resume, but I was thinking of getting it anway. (I got interested in computers through comp-sec)

I went to the E-Council site to price the study materials and they have a nice big warning about an out of print book (from 2002) that is still being sold on Amazon and other book stores.

This may have something to do with the criticism of the materials being dated.