Route exam Vs BSCI

foy78foy78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,
Please can anyone who has aquired the ROUTE exam enlighten me on what the main differences are Vs the old BSCI exam. I've compared both exam topics and can identify the exam has excluded ISIS & Multicasting. New topics are Broadband technologies, VPN's, IPsec/GRE which is pretty clear cut.
The confusing or concern for me is there seems to be a lot of "planning, determining & documenting". Would anyone be kind enough to clarify these topics and also state whether you have attempted the new exam or not. I had attempted the old BSCI and failed quite miserably but not disheartened as I now know my preparation should've been more thorough. I am looking to crack the ROUTE by the end of the year (delay due to work/holidays) and will hopefully be able to provide a comparison to help others in the same situation.
Finally, the materials I will be using are Sybex ROUTE, GNS3 (for lab)& CBT Nuggets. Should this be enough, especially for the new topics.
Thanks all for your time & goodluck!:D

Comments

• jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    bad luck on the fail, unfortunately your not allowed to disclose on what exactly was on the test but the exam blueprint (cisco website) is usually the best way to go.
    my advice is just study the things on the blueprint your not 100% comfortable with and keep on labbing until your ready to pass.

That being said I haven't sat the ROUTE, but I'm looking at the blueprint and you're right - no multicast.. wtf? I put so much work into getting a solid understanding of multicast during the BSCI and now they took it out? wow
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I agree removing multicast from the curriculum seems like a bad idea. Though I wouldn't shed a tear about the removal of ISIS.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    I agree removing multicast from the curriculum seems like a bad idea. Though I wouldn't shed a tear about the removal of ISIS.

I'm glad I studied ISIS for the BSCI, we use it where I am, and its a very interesting, and easy technology. I'm actually a little sad that its gone, especially as there doesn't seem to be anything at the professional level which teaches it now.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • IgorGothIgorGoth Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just got bounced on the ROUTE exam. Pretty darned close to a pass, but if it ain't a pass its a FAIL - LOL! Thanks to the joyous confidentiality clauses I can't talk about anything lol, but I found the exam matched the blueprint - even the stuff I didn't know were not beyond the blueprint.

I relied on the Odom certificate guide and found it was good, and it got me close to the goal in just three weeks, but I think it wasn't quite enough for a total newbie like me.

If I had a longer background with Cisco systems I'd probably get over the line with just the book and a sim. This, with the CBT and your own emulator would probably be enough.

icon_study.gif Being a bookie person rather than a viddy person I'm going to invest in the 950 page uber-brick:
    Implementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam (Self-Study Guide)
    -- only 45 bucks from Amazon and hopefully that will fill in the blanks for my next attempt.

That's my devalued 2 cents worth anyway.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Better luck next time IgorGoth, if ROUTE is anything like the BSCI it must be one tough cookie
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I loved BSCI.

As others have said, not sure why they've dropped multicasting out.

Not like we have anything in my particular enterprise that uses it.

IS-IS is an interesting one also - As a technology that lends itself so well to IPv6 and this is going to be a MASSIVE emerging technology for the rest of us.. just doesn't make sense?
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I loved BSCI.

As others have said, not sure why they've dropped multicasting out.

Not like we have anything in my particular enterprise that uses it.

IS-IS is an interesting one also - As a technology that lends itself so well to IPv6 and this is going to be a MASSIVE emerging technology for the rest of us.. just doesn't make sense?

I plan to read both these topics from BSCI even though I will be taking the route exam. Makes little sense to drop multicast (we do use it in our work place).
  • foy78foy78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx all for your responses & the reminder of the disclosure lol....Like many others I can't understand why multicasting has been withdrawn along with ISIS as working through various organisations believe me there is a demand in the current networks. I feel the exam seems to be a little easier as theres less to learn.
    IgorGoth, better luck next time, unlike you im a viddy person :).
    Eventhough i done very well on IPV6, i dont feel comfortable with it, can anyone suggest any good reading ? people have recommended TCP/IP volII (Jeff Doyle) but for me it doesn't seem to cover it that thoroughly...

On another note, quick question on Eigrp..
    What is the maximum number of routes that can be load balanced via Feasible Successor ? (i think max 6 can be kept on top table)
    What's the max number of routes equally load balanced on successor ? is it 4? (sh ip prot...max path 4?)
  • NoChanceNoChance Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ISIS is now part of the CCNP Service Provider Test.

642-775 MSPRP
    Maintaining Cisco Service Provider Routing Protocols

From what I remember reading, Cisco said it made more sense to move ISIS to the Service Provider test as it was a protocol geared more towards Service Providers.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnpspops/msprp?tab=overview
  • foy78foy78 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NoChance wrote: »
    ISIS is now part of the CCNP Service Provider Test.

642-775 MSPRP
    Maintaining Cisco Service Provider Routing Protocols

From what I remember reading, Cisco said it made more sense to move ISIS to the Service Provider test as it was a protocol geared more towards Service Providers.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnpspops/msprp?tab=overview

Yes you are right, from my experiences, ISIS was mainly used by large ISP's or Telcos. Thanks for the link too :)
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    foy78 wrote: »
    Eventhough i done very well on IPV6, i dont feel comfortable with it, can anyone suggest any good reading ? people have recommended TCP/IP volII (Jeff Doyle) but for me it doesn't seem to cover it that thoroughly...

Yeh IPv6 is not really covered that well in Doyles book, but then it is five years old. The new ROUTE foundation learning guide is supposed to cover it really well (200 pages or so). I would get that book anyway if you are serious about passing the ROUTE exam.