Seven safe?

charliemongcharliemong Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

My first post and a bit of a strange one. I have been working in IT for some 14 years now doing various roles and am wanting to progress my career. I would like to get into Pen testing. I have read lots of posts on here regarding the CEH and how its just a "tool monkey" course.

I have seen a company call seven safe who seem to be ok and do Quals that count towards a Masters in Computer Security & Forensics degree. Now the 2 qualifications that i am looking at to get me started down this path are the CSTA and CSTP. I am wondering if any of you here have heard/ done these quals as I have searched for some time and not been able to find any info in this or any other forum. I am aware that these are more application testing quals and i would like to start here and then move on to the Network pen side of life as well.

Penetration testing training course IT security training CSTP ethical hacking

I look forward to your replies

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    These guys advertise on Ethical Hacker all the time, but I don't know of anyone that's ever taken a course. I can vouch for the eLearnSecurity : Penetration testing and IT Security courses course, which you may want to look into if you haven't seen it yet.

To my knowledge, no one here has done any of those. You might have better luck asking on EH.
  • charliemongcharliemong Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi dynamik,

(Edit) have looked at the link. Looks good Are there any other sites i should look at?
    docrice wrote: »

icon_thumright.gif

I'd start with eLearn and/or the lower-level Heorot courses and then move on to the OSCP. All the SANS stuff is great, but it's expensive. You'd want to look at GPEN, GAWN, and/or GWAPT, depending on your pen testing interests.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Also take a look at:

Heorot.net:
    Heorot.net

These courses look pretty good. I want to do C|EH next year I am looking for a good (but not $2k) self study course, even if it is not aimed at the C|EH
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm taking the first Heorot.net (1DCPT) next week. I don't plan on becoming a pentester, but the intro course at that price can't be beat, although that particular one seems to emphasize process more than tools or specific attacks. As a firewall admin, this kind of information is useful nonetheless.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
    I'm taking the first Heorot.net (1DCPT) next week. I don't plan on becoming a pentester, but the intro course at that price can't be beat, although that particular one seems to emphasize process more than tools or specific attacks. As a firewall admin, this kind of information is useful nonetheless.

Right. This is important information for anyone who does any time of intrusion analysis or incident handling. I haven't taken the course personally, but Tom's a great guy. Keep us posted on your thoughts and progress. I'd probably get through the first two levels fairly quickly, but the third one seems pretty intense. Regardless, I'm planning on doing all three in early 2011. I can't wait for the fourth and fifth ones to become available.