Options

fake wireless connection

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
The laptops are running windows 7 on a dell vostro laptop. Sometimes the laptops try to connect to a wireless router (wireless2) that isn't there. This happens when the laptop is already connected to wireless1. When I went to check the connections, there wasn't anything for a wireless 2 connection but only wireless1. Yet the laptops still try to connect to wireless2. I end up having to disconnect and then reconnect to wireless1. Does anyone know whats going on??
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    Interesting... I am curious if this is related to Windows 7 soft ap feature, or simply just a bug needed to be fixed
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out your network connections (formerly found in control panel, now one of the options in the networking screen). See if there is a connection named wireless2. If so, disable it and see what happens.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree with DevilsBane. Wireless connections can end up with duplicate names if you add a wireless profile. Normally the device driver software if it is installed has a add a profile option which you can point to the same wireless adapter. Now if you have a drop out on your connection, it rolls over to the next profile and reconnects. If you also have bluetooth then you can end up with user confusion when they take them off site and the laptop starts looking for connections.

Generally there is a check box to always use a given profile.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I checked to see if there was any other wireless network connections and there weren't any. I'll to see about the profiles. Thanks everyone.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****