Options

Cert Path and Suggestion

simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
I'm working on net+ now, after that should I work toward CCENT and CCNA, since I'm still fresh with networking subjects?
or go to MCSA? My concern with Cisco, it does have expiration of 3 years, while MS is not, of course unless the product is obsolete.

I need to hear your suggestion, pros and cons.. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mattmrob99mattmrob99 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say go with the Microsoft track. I would suggest to go towards the MCITP:SA.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Rather than worry about expirations, what do you want to do? What will benefit you and your career the most?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Rather than worry about expirations, what do you want to do? What will benefit you and your career the most?

Exactly. If you can afford to do both, it doesn't hurt to do both but if you never see yourself doing one over the other, the ROI might not be there for you at the moment.

MS has expirations on the full MCITP status. MCTS certs stay good as long as the software you tested under is not at end of life (EOL). MCITP SA/EA/EDST etc, I believe have a three year expiration, but don't quote me on it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MS has expirations on the full MCITP status. MCTS certs stay good as long as the software you tested under is not at end of life (EOL). MCITP SA/EA/EDST etc, I believe have a three year expiration

You have been quoted.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    MS has expirations on the full MCITP status. MCTS certs stay good as long as the software you tested under is not at end of life (EOL). MCITP SA/EA/EDST etc, I believe have a three year expiration, but don't quote me on it.

That was the initial plan, but Microsoft changed their minds and decided to make both MCTS and MCITP certifications good for the lifetime of the product tested on without renewal. The only real change from the MCSA/MCSE is that the cert expires after the product has gone End-of-Life, and the certification will be listed as "Retired" on your transcript.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    Well, I want to do both cisco n ms. Maybe the question is which one i should do first after net+ from the study point of view
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    That was the initial plan, but Microsoft changed their minds and decided to make both MCTS and MCITP certifications good for the lifetime of the product tested on without renewal. The only real change from the MCSA/MCSE is that the cert expires after the product has gone End-of-Life, and the certification will be listed as "Retired" on your transcript.

Whoa. This changes everything for me.

EDIT: Actually, I think I'm still staying away from MS lol.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    simtech wrote: »
    Well, I want to do both cisco n ms. Maybe the question is which one i should do first after net+ from the study point of view
    If networking interests you after doing the Net+ then you could always just go the 2 exam route for the CCNA and get the CCENT and then decide if you want to get the Cisco or MS first. It all depends on what you want to do later on down the road.
    Personally I'm doing the MS now and plan to take the CCNA later. I feel that the Cisco will help me later on down the road no matter what I'm doing just as the MS may help you later on no matter what path you may take.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.