Upgrading Cisco IOS

william_yeowilliam_yeo Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
i trying to upgrading my cisco IOS, but i facing one problem......

my switch got 7932928 bytes total (4928512 bytes free) and the version i going to upgrade is more than the available space...... so wat can i do now?

i'm using TFTP to upgrade......

thankss in advance for ur reply ! icon_cool.gif

Comments

• netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will need to delete the existing flash image before copying the new image across. Or on some switches/configurations you are prompted to erase the flash first as part of the tftp copy process.

Be careful if erasing the existing image that the new image is successfully copied and not corrupted before reloading the switch to prevent problems with booting the switch.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    You need to verify the requirements of the new IOS image you are uploading. If you have an image that is 12 MB large and the router you are upgrading only has 8 MB total, then you will need to get more memory for the router.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    true what kind of switch are u upgrading? you may be able to use the archive command which will do all the work for u

archive download-sw /overwrite tftp://address/IOS name
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • xetrevxetrev Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    anyone have the last ios upgrade for a cisco 1900 switch before they stopped supporting it?
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes its about 900k
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just make sure you copy your existing flash to tftp before trying to upgrade. That way, you'll have a back-up.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine