N+ working

JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello

Recently I just passed the A+ exams for 2009. I am now going for the Network + for October. I am using many resources like CBT Nuggets with Michael Shannon, Tech exam tech-notes, N10-004 2009 practice exams, and CompTIA Network+ 2009 Certification Study Guide, Fourth Edition. I am currently only getting around 55% in the practice exams. I still have over one month to go. I can not wait to pass.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Is it easy?
Jinverar, TSS

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are a few things I can say about it,
    Know (as in really well) your poirts, the media (lengths/speed), and the OSI model. These are all really important for that test.
    I don't know how good the CBT nuggets are for this but I do know that the labsim/testout videos were really good for this.
    If you're scoring 55%now then you'll be ready in a month. Easy? Not really as some people have failed it. It's easy compared to MS exams but is definitely doable in the timeframe you have and you may even be ready sooner.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • some guysome guy Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Network+, depending on how much you study and learn, will probably be slightly more difficult than the A+. It's not hard though, as long as you study well and prepare yourself physically(sleep, good breakfast, maybe mint to open your mind) for the exam. As earweed mentioned, know your ports and the protocols associated with them, cable lengths/speeds, and OSI. I would also get familiar with routing protocols.

As far as resources, Professor Messer's Network+ videos are good. I'd also check out this study guide --> https://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/network/N10004_study_guide.shtml

Btw, I even printed out that study guide, to skim over it along the way to the test. Good luck. icon_cool.gif
    A+ ~ Feb 2010
    Network+ ~ Jun 2010
    Security+ ~ April 2011

Up next: ???
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd like to second the shoutout for the study guides provided by mcmcse.com as they have a lot of really good study guides there.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mcmcse.com and several other web based study guides are great, I used Sibex study guide and CD which I believe to be good material (not the best but good nonetheless) A lot of people frown upon braindumps and I agree to that if used to **** (although I haven't found a single braindump you can use for that exact purpose) I like to use them as another form of study, their scenario questions are similar to the exam and helpful to get an idea of what to expect. My technique was to read the question and possible answers while dragging the pdf reader enough to cover the actual answer, then pick my choice of answer and see if I got it right. If the answer was something not too convincing or unknown to me I then turn to my book, google or other source to find and compare the actual answer that way you don't just learn the answer but you actually comprehend the question and this is what study guides are about. Though I work in a network environment without studying I would have failed, and using these study methods worked for me. I passed my first time only studying for about a month straight about 1hr 5days a week.

Key is to actually study, the exam could be hard if you don't know, but you can pass if you do. OSI model, topologies and scenarios of, media types, basic network infrastructure and protocols are a good part of the exam...

Best of lucks to you.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Adam Prefers Stephanie To Not Date People.
    7 6 5 4 3 2 1

7) Application
    6) Presentation
    5) Session
    4) Transport
    3) Network
    2) Data Link
    1) Physical

That sweet mnemonic device has been with me from A+ to the recent Security+...every one of them requires some knowledge of what the OSI Model is and in what order. It definitely served me in Network+. Some people like to know it from 1 to 7....ok I got that one too but I prefer the former:

People Do Need To Stop Playing Around!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Over 9 years and counting...still know it by heart. :D
  • Atorres19Atorres19 Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Network+ is a great intro to basic networking concepts. Do not stress about this test. I well over studied for this exam. Reading multiple texts and watching multiple video series. I suggest you know your ports,OSI model and what devices and protocols work at the various layers. Know the functions of your applications layer protocols. Its also important to learn the basic network commands and the switches that are available for them. This was a common question I came across. I took the test about a year ago so the exact questions are a little fuzzy. Understand binary conversions. watch professor Messer and read one good text and all will be well. Also be sure you know the troubleshooting process as I also think that was a regular question I came across

Professor Messer's Free CompTIA Network+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, Certification Training
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In studying for my Network+ I needed something to help me remember the problem solving steps. You can count on several questions about it on the exam! Below is what I came up with. Maybe it will help someone else. I tried to use the core concepts in some of the words and the same first letter in others. Here it is and it's explanation:

Information Always Changes Causing Escalating Problems Testing Everyone's Determination

1. Information: Gather Information on the problem

2. Always: Determine the Affected Area

3. Changes: Determine if anything has Changed

4. Causing: Establish the most probable Cause

5. Escalating: Determine if Escalation is necessary

6. Problems: Create an action Plan and solution

7. Testing: Implement and Test the solution

8. Everyone's: Identity the results and Effects of the solution

9. Determination: Document the process and solution

I hope this helps. :)
  • JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the tips.

I am studying the CBT nuggets and I downloaded the Professor messors videos which are really great,. I have the Sybex and a few other tools. I am now getting more into the OSI model, ports, and protocols. I am up to 60% on the practice tests now with only one more month to go.

Thank you for the tips. I am having a harder time with the binary and the subnets 16/24/ and correctly creating a smaller network with the math. Any tips?
    Jinverar, TSS
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Adam Prefers Stephanie To Not Date People.
    7 6 5 4 3 2 1

7) Application
    6) Presentation
    5) Session
    4) Transport
    3) Network
    2) Data Link
    1) Physical

That sweet mnemonic device has been with me from A+ to the recent Security+...every one of them requires some knowledge of what the OSI Model is and in what order. It definitely served me in Network+. Some people like to know it from 1 to 7....ok I got that one too but I prefer the former:

People Do Need To Stop Playing Around!
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Over 9 years and counting...still know it by heart. :D

I learned the OSI model by:

All People Seem To Need Data Processing!
  • security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I learned the OSI model by:

All People Seem To Need Data Processing!

I learned by using

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away
    Physical, Data Link, Network, Transport, Session Presentation Application:D
  • JinverarJinverar Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone.

I passed my my Network plus. Thank you for the tips. I learned the subnetting however did not focus on it exactly. I stayed more towards the OSI model and exactly what everyone mentioned.

Now on to the Security + in December

Thank you
    Jinverar, TSS
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Jinverar wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

I passed my my Network plus. Thank you for the tips. I learned the subnetting however did not focus on it exactly. I stayed more towards the OSI model and exactly what everyone mentioned.

Now on to the Security + in December

Thank you

Congratz! I will be taking N+ next month and Sec+ in December. Goodluck
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)