Options

Do you guys think there would be any value in me getting the Net+/A+?

Since I've made it to the level for Sr Sys Admin without them I'm not sure if there would be or not, but I figured I would see what you guys thought.

As we all know, after Dec 31, the A+/Net+/Sec+ will no longer be lifetime certs. I already have my Sec+ and am considering getting the other two before they become 3-year certs.

Do you guys think there is any value in me doing so or should I not even bother?
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    SrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Since I've made it to the level for Sr Sys Admin without them I'm not sure if there would be or not, but I figured I would see what you guys thought.

As we all know, after Dec 31, the A+/Net+/Sec+ will no longer be lifetime certs. I already have my Sec+ and am considering getting the other two before they become 3-year certs.

Do you guys think there is any value in me doing so or should I not even bother?

IMO if your going after/doing senior sys ad work then it's not worth it for the A+ you should have the N+ knowledge base by now anyhow. I think the Sec+ would be worth it though. Many might disagree with me here but the A+ is a poor mans MCP, the N+ is a poor mans CCENT, but the Sec+ IMO has some wicked value for anyone, so I would do that and that alone.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With what you have, you don't need them at all.

Having said that though, if can pick up a copy of Mike Meyers Passport book just to go over the objectives for A+ and Network+ quickly and sit in for the exams, then you can do that too.

Like you, I didn't need A+/Net+ when I got them. I thought I'd be going for the MCSA and figured it would be a quick elective (and it was). But then life happened, and I ended up not getting the MCSA (which was going to turn into an MCSE at some point....).

I would dare say you could probably look over the objectives and pass them....you'll have the "trinity" at least. At this point, for you, it's just vanity. (And really, nothing wrong with that...as long as it's not done in a d-bag manner).

I know what's that like too...I was actually considering upgrading Network+ after I passed Sec+....I really did think better of it...
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    IMO if your going after/doing senior sys ad work then it's not worth it for the A+ you should have the N+ knowledge base by now anyhow. I think the Sec+ would be worth it though. Many might disagree with me here but the A+ is a poor mans MCP, the N+ is a poor mans CCENT, but the Sec+ IMO has some wicked value for anyone, so I would do that and that alone.

I got the Sec+ at my last job as it is required to work on any DoD contracts.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Where you're at in your career there is probably no benefit in getting the A+ and Net+ unless to just pad your resume. Your experience speaks a lot more than entry level certs and these would probably just be a waste of time and money.
    just my 2 cents
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options

Then focus on your current plans as per your sig, get your mcsa/mcitp you have IMO done enough to prove that you have entry level skills so there is no point in getting any more.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Where you're at in your career there is probably no benefit in getting the A+ and Net+ unless to just pad your resume. Your experience speaks a lot more than entry level certs and these would probably just be a waste of time and money.
    just my 2 cents

Yeah, sort of what I was thinking...thanks for the affirmation icon_cheers.gif
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • Options
    Then focus on your current plans as per your sig, get your mcsa/mcitp you have IMO done enough to prove that you have entry level skills so there is no point in getting any more.

I actually just finished my MCSA...need to go update my sig, thanks for reminding me!

Thanks for your input man.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your on the right path! Finish the MCSE and MCITP:EA icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    the N+ is a poor mans CCENT

Last time I checked lol the N+ was more expensive then the CCENT icon_lol.gif

To the OP I'll say a CCNA may do you some good, I know the Sr SysAdmin/Team Lead for AD/DNS/WINS/DHCP has been studying for his. He decided to move to a new role where he will become the Lead Voice Architect just from showing interest and saying he'd take over the role to let an expensive consultant go. If you have any interest in branching out get a CCNA IMO.

joe
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Ding. That was the first thing my new employer said to me, "Do you plan on getting your Security+?" To which I answered "Yes". It'll be done in the next month, right after my new furniture arrives next weekend I'll have a comfy recliner to read Darril's book in.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With what you have, probably not. Most people start omitting stuff like that when they get to your level. Security+ would be a good one to get though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    Ding. That was the first thing my new employer said to me, "Do you plan on getting your Security+?" To which I answered "Yes". It'll be done in the next month, right after my new furniture arrives next weekend I'll have a comfy recliner to read Darril's book in.

LOL, thanks for the humor icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    Last time I checked lol the N+ was more expensive then the CCENT icon_lol.gif

To the OP I'll say a CCNA may do you some good, I know the Sr SysAdmin/Team Lead for AD/DNS/WINS/DHCP has been studying for his. He decided to move to a new role where he will become the Lead Voice Architect just from showing interest and saying he'd take over the role to let an expensive consultant go. If you have any interest in branching out get a CCNA IMO.

joe

Yeah all the comptia stuff seem to be somewhat more expensive than "Real" certs for the cost of an exam.....but even with ccent you need a lab, nuggets and 2 books. I am sure I saw someone say you could get N+ off 1 book purchase? :) so umm yeah about cost, we talking exam fee's or real cost?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    LOL, thanks for the humor icon_lol.gif

You're welcome. I bought my wife the couch she wanted so she added the chair I liked to the ticket without telling me until it came time to pay and the bill was a few hundred more than the running tab in my head. lol.
    Yeah all the comptia stuff seem to be somewhat more expensive than "Real" certs for the cost of an exam.....but even with ccent you need a lab, nuggets and 2 books. I am sure I saw someone say you could get N+ off 1 book purchase? :) so umm yeah about cost, we talking emxam fee's or real cost?

I did the CCENT on 1 book and no lab... granted I had a lab but I didn't use it.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah all the comptia stuff seem to be somewhat more expensive than "Real" certs for the cost of an exam.....but even with ccent you need a lab, nuggets and 2 books. I am sure I saw someone say you could get N+ off 1 book purchase? :) so umm yeah about cost, we talking exam fee's or real cost?
    I got the Net+ just using Labsim and no book basically (the book provided by WGU was crap)
    The CCENT, from what I've heard, doesn't really require a lab as that's the basic theory part of the CCNA. The lab part comes with the ICND2 or if going the 1 exam route. I'm personally putting the CCNA in my long term cert plan even though I'll probably never really do a lot of networking.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's interesting this came up. I've toyed around with the idea of maybe getting my Net + after I get my GCIH. My original plan was to do the MCITP: EA this year but with getting accepted into two GIAC courses through work I didn't want my brain to explode this year!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    It's interesting this came up. I've toyed around with the idea of maybe getting my Net + after I get my GCIH. My original plan was to do the MCITP: EA this year but with getting accepted into two GIAC courses through work I didn't want my brain to explode this year!

I would recommend the CCENT or CCNA over the Network+, when you have more time. I'm more than certain the GIAC certs will keep you plenty busy icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would recommend the CCENT or CCNA over the Network+, when you have more time. I'm more than certain the GIAC certs will keep you plenty busy icon_wink.gif

Yeah, the GSEC bootcamp was about 10 hours a day for 6 days straight. Then I tested right after that (the company I work for, who paid for SANS to come in and teach the course arranged for us to test right after the exam). Luckily my wife was really cool during that week and understood my brain was complete mush. And now in 2 weeks I get to do it all again!!

I actually had the CCNA many moons ago. Since I wasn't doing anything Cisco related at the time I never re-upped when it expired. Since then I've actually had some hands on - mostly switch configuration, with a couple of IOS upgrades thrown in. I will say since my road seems to be "security" oriented CCNA: Security might be an option....
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    The CCENT, from what I've heard, doesn't really require a lab as that's the basic theory part of the CCNA. The lab part comes with the ICND2 or if going the 1 exam route.

You'll definitely want to lab up the CCENT. The exam has some intense sims and you'll be stuffed if you don't know basic commands.

Anyway, how can you hold a Cisco cert without ever touching the IOS? That's just paper-certed.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    With what you have, probably not. Most people start omitting stuff like that when they get to your level. Security+ would be a good one to get though.

sup devil? That's what I am planning on doing..going for security + before the EOY especially if my company is going to pay for it. Gotta take the opportunities that are given to you.