Options

Completed Security + today

miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
Took the exam today after finally locating a discount voucher. Passed with an 850. icon_cheers.gif I decided to take this exam, because of the change taking place in January converting the exam to a renew every three years.

Had access to CBT, Train Signal, and Darrils Book (primary source). spent approx 7 weeks in preparation ( several weeks waiting for a discount voucher before the final sprint to completion)
Still after all of the studying and review there was still a 1/2 dozen questions that made me go hmmmmmm... they were not touched on with any of the resources I used. Do not under estimate the exam.icon_redface.gif

Good luck to all who follow the quest for security +. Now it is back to Ciscoville to complete my CCDP.
I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
Page Count total to date - 1283

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    rolyohhrolyohh Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I take my exam on wednesday... I have developed anxiety over this exam. Not sure what to expect. I used the CompTia Exam Cram and some study guides I found online. Overall I feel comfortable but I havent talked to anyone using the same materials as me so I am not sure if what I have is ideal for preperation. Anyone here use the CompTia Exam Cram?
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    congrats on the new cert!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats, brother! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not surprised you killed it, congrats!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's a solid score, nice work!
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats and nice score. I take mine in 14 days :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    netBoogernetBooger Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Congratulations! Some of those questions were a head-scratcher; I guessed on more than a few.

I will play more in the Cisco cert arena after MCSE.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    ironman682ironman682 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are there SIMS in security + or just multiple choice questions
  • Options
    ironman682 wrote: »
    Are there SIMS in security + or just multiple choice questions

all multiple choice.

• Options
    TrainSignalEricTrainSignalEric Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Would love to know what areas you think should be added to the course that were lacking.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. I know you can't go into great detail about the test due to the NDA, but I'm Eric on wanting to know what you think.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Congrats Miller!!!!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Those half a dozen questions MIGHT have been those questions that don't count. I had a couple of questions that made me ask "what the ----"...in truth I don't even remember what those questions were but I thought to myself this has to be one of those "they don't count" questions and just answered them anyway.

To those taking the exam: Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about them. Just answer to the best of your ability and press forward. Do not try to guess which ones are the real questions....you won't know for sure, and I could have been completely wrong. LOL.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Would love to know what areas you think should be added to the course that were lacking.

I only watched/listened to about half the videos. I found them to be too dry and too slow paced. The content was good though.

As far as the video part goes, these are videos and not powerpoint presentations. Even watching someone speak would be more enjoyable then staring at the same "slide" for 5 minutes.

I wouldn't recommend the Security+ videos to anyone looking to take the test. They aren't bad, they just aren't worth the price tag. Darril's book has all of the same information plus practice questions for 10% of the price. At some point, I will probably try your products for a different test in the future for the simple fact that they are user friendly. I can watch/listen on my phone, ipod, computer, I could probably even stick them on a audio CD with minimal effort. I can also watch them via the internet. Very convenient.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options

hind sight is 20 20.... but I could/would not make notes in the exam to attempt to take with me out of the exam room. That would break the NDA

I have a very broad knowledge range, I have worked in the field for over 20 years, just never felt the needs to get any certification previously...So on the questions I used the process of elimination and did not really read the beginning section to see if there were any ungraded quiestions,,,,But there were still several that in my opinion came out of left field.

At the time I had a flashback to my Network + exam when I studied the recommended material and swore at the time I was taking the wrong test.icon_redface.gif