DCE s0 interface

nanoagenanoage Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Okay i have been looking around and I see that there is clockrate 64000 and 56000 for the serial dce itnerface. Which one do i choose on the cisco exam. ????

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depends on what they ask 56000 is used for 56k typically and 64000 is used on 64k. T1 lines use the same as i remember depending on channel speeds ( its been a while since i 've done a production line so i may be wrong)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • nanoagenanoage Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    that is interesting because it didnt specify which one in the ccna exam
    it was a lab question and it was from router to router
  • netheadnethead Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm..the information regarding circuit speeds for serial to serial connections should be specified somewhere in the question - maybe on a diagram if there was one. The clockrate is entirely dependent on the circuit speed.
    "The time for talking is over. Now call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard, and we hit it fast, with a major, and I mean major, leaflet campaign. "
    - Rimmer, Polymorph
  • DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    If it's not specified, pick one. The important thing is that one of them has to provide the clocking or you've got no line protocol. I tend to go towards 56000 because that's what the academy curriculum threw at us for a long time (they changed it up to 64000 later on) and it just became habit to type 'clock rate 56000 <cr>' when configuring serial interfaces.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    basically the clock rate on DCE is set by the provider, range from 0 - T1 speed ( 1,544 ). because you only have the DTE so the one what you have to consider is only the bandwidth in kbps like 56 / 64 etc.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    yeah but would it make a diff in a lab question on a ccna exam? Im thinking i should have used 56000 instead of 64000 because later on on my second lab question in the router config it said 56000. Im thinking this could have kept me from passing. Since my score was 830.
  • tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think that kept you from passing, unless it was written somewhere that you were supposed to use 56K. If anything you should have used "show controller serial" to see what end was DCE. If you would have looked you may have noticed that both ends are DTE and you would have gotten timing from the provider, so no clock was necessary. Then it would have just been a matter of configuring the bandwidth statement, if that was required.
    it told me what interface was dce and i loked everywhere on that question for the speed it wanted me to use but i couldnt find it so i just used 64000. Myabe i just did something else wrong in the question.
  • NocturnalNocturnal Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe you missed a detail...I just tried four different clock rates, 56000, 64000, 125000, and 148000. Here are the extended ping results going through my 2501A router, which performs the clocking, with the respective clock rate configurations:

2501B#ping
    Protocol [ip]:
    Target IP address: 10.1.1.4
    Repeat count [5]: 100
    Datagram size [100]: 500
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]:
    Sweep range of sizes [n]:
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 100, 500-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.1.4, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 292/293/296 ms
    2501B#

2501B#ping
    Protocol [ip]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]:
    Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 256/259/340 ms

2501B#ping
    Protocol [ip]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]:
    Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 132/133/136 ms
    2501B#

2501B#ping
    Protocol [ip]:
    Timeout in seconds [2]:
    Extended commands [n]:
    Success rate is 100 percent (100/100), round-trip min/avg/max = 112/115/188 ms

The question is, how fast do you want it to go??? This is serial to serial, and for comparative purposes only.
    "...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right,..."
    --Tom Paine