Options

10 days to go!!!!

security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
Study plans....

I am reviewing study notes from Darril's book, exam cram notes,taking practice exams, reviewing the objective to make sure I have a clear understanding of each topic. I already read Darril's book twice and took practice exam and scored well.

Comments

• Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same here. I'll be getting my voucher, and scheduling my test on Wednesday. Good luck.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darril's book is the way to go, you should do just fine.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You got this. I would put $50.00 on you to pass...I am that sure. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    You got this. I would put $50.00 on you to pass...I am that sure. icon_cool.gif

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Darril's book is the way to go, you should do just fine.

Good luck

I sure hope so, I am so nervous! I can't even sleep. I have a lot riding on this exam.
  • Options
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Same here. I'll be getting my voucher, and scheduling my test on Wednesday. Good luck.

I wish you the best. You will nail it!!!
  • Options
    I sure hope so, I am so nervous! I can't even sleep. I have a lot riding on this exam.

Take a break from thinking about it. 2 days at the most. Then review after that. Then do nothing involving the test the day before the exam. On the day of the exam, just do some cramming on what you think the weakest stuff is before you sit for it, and when they give you that paper and marker to write with, spend the time to write stuff down. THEN start your exam.

You seriously don't need to worry if you read and understood Darril's book.
  • Options
    and when they give you that paper and marker to write with, spend the time to write stuff down. THEN start your exam.

Do you start writing during the instructions or after the test actually begins. I always wait until the test actually begins, feeling that starting before would be cheating. But I don't even know that it would be cheating. Isn't that why there is a time limit on instructions? To keep you from spending 45 minutes writing a novel?
  • Options
    Do you start writing during the instructions or after the test actually begins. I always wait until the test actually begins, feeling that starting before would be cheating. But I don't even know that it would be cheating. Isn't that why there is a time limit on instructions? To keep you from spending 45 minutes writing a novel?

I went to the actual Prometric Test Center to take my exam in Manhattan, NYC. It's seriously reminiscent of those movies about jail/visiting people in jail (because I really haven't done that, personally...lol). You go through emptying out your pockets twice. You go through getting your picture taken, and all of that before you are even handed the writing materials. When you sit down at your test, you are watched, proctored by Prometric already, so they/you know that if you're writing stuff down, it's ALL coming from your head. They made an effort to make sure I didn't ****, and I made an effort to show that I wasn't cheating! I hope I made myself clear on that.

If you go to the "Well Known Ports" section of your Darril Gibson study guide, you will see that he even advises doing this. Me personally, I wrote down two ports that I never use and they weren't even on the exam. (But they've tripped me up on my practice exams.)

You are given 90 minutes....if you are going to write a novel, better make sure you do it in 10-20 minutes....
  • Options
    For Security+, my "brain ****" was some port numbers (the ones from Darril's book) and I made a table for symmetric/assymetric encryption types and I tried to list the length of the encryption key if I could.

I've taken tests where I write down a bunch of information, and then use none of it (someimtes its not on the test, sometimes I don't need it). But at least its there. You never known when you are going to have a brain fart.
  • Options
    Take a break from thinking about it. 2 days at the most. Then review after that. Then do nothing involving the test the day before the exam. On the day of the exam, just do some cramming on what you think the weakest stuff is before you sit for it, and when they give you that paper and marker to write with, spend the time to write stuff down. THEN start your exam.

I will take the weekend off. My manager mentioned that i shouldn't do any studying the day before the exam. I think i will take the advice from you both. Thanks again for the encouragement
  • Options
    For Security+, my "brain ****" was some port numbers (the ones from Darril's book) and I made a table for symmetric/assymetric encryption types and I tried to list the length of the encryption key if I could.

Darril, for me, made the cryptography very relatable for what I do. Once I saw what symmetric/assymmetric encryption was, as well as stuff like PGP, I was no longer freaking out at the length of information. I was able to remember thanks to the Transcenders, which I used for the flash cards on the cryptography section.

BTW, I suppose you are technically right about writing stuff down from memory being called a "brain ****." Given the negative connotation, however, I would call it something else. (Though you are technically correct.)
    I've taken tests where I write down a bunch of information, and then use none of it (someimtes its not on the test, sometimes I don't need it). But at least its there. You never known when you are going to have a brain fart.
    (sic)

Exactly. The way this test was described to me long before I took it, I really thought I would have a tough time with it. I was even shocked when I was reading stuff here prior to taking the exam about how the practice exams were harder than the real thing. I really was surprised these folks were right. But I'm glad it's like that, because it really forces you to learn the objectives instead of learning what's on the test and then forgetting them.