Options

EIGRP Metrics

chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
Does EIGRP's Metrics update? Meaning, if I have a L3 switch that knows of two routes, one to 1.1.1.1 and one to 2.2.2.2, if the link to 1.1.1.1 is currently the selected route but the link degrades to the point of being almost useless but is still technically up/up, will it switch to 2.2.2.2?

I know it is part of EIGRP's compost metric, but I'm trying to figure out a way to resolve the issue. Presently we just have a default route out to 1.1.1.1 but that is obviously not the way to go if the link is shaky.
Currently Pursuing
WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
mikej412 wrote:
Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not by default it won't. By default it only takes cumulative delay (which does not change dynamically) and smallest bandwidth along the path. Degradation won't cause a routing change.

What you could do is something with IP SLA to monitor the link and withdraw the route.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Not by default it won't. By default it only takes cumulative delay (which does not change dynamically) and smallest bandwidth along the path. Degradation won't cause a routing change.

What you could do is something with IP SLA to monitor the link and withdraw the route.

I'm looking into IP SLA right now. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the suggestion!

EDIT:

So I see how I can get IP SLA to monitor the link and send an SNMP trap if it violates a credential, but I have no idea how to take that and turn it into a changed route. =/
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.