Not able to access G-mail

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
A coworker of mine who does the same job in the cube next to me can't get to gmail, but I can. He clicks on the gmail page and gets a "page cannot be displayed"

I (and another coworker) can get to the page and login with no issues. Any ideas?

He said he deleted his cookies and temp files. I had him clear his dns cache, with no luck.

I'm going to check it out when we get off work tonight and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions going in?
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I had a similar problem with anything microsoft. I had to uninstall IE and reinstall.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Can he resolve the IP? Can he ping get to the IP? Proxy settings? Start at the bottom and work your way up.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can he resolve the IP? Can he ping get to the IP? Proxy settings? Start at the bottom and work your way up.

    I pinged gmail.google.com and sent him the ip address. It just brought him to the google page.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I pinged gmail.google.com and sent him the ip address. It just brought him to the google page.

    Yeah, the IP only is going to bring him to the front page. When he navigates to the page is he getting an answer? Is there a proxy set? Fire up wireshark and see whats going on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, the IP only is going to bring him to the front page. When he navigates to the page is he getting an answer? Is there a proxy set? Fire up wireshark and see whats going on.

    Don't have wireshark here at work. I also don't think management would be very happy if I installed it with the intent to troubleshoot gmail.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would start off simple and check to see if you're both pointing to the same dns server. Run nslookup and see what it pulls for gmail.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    I would start off simple and check to see if you're both pointing to the same dns server. Run nslookup and see what it pulls for gmail.

    +1

    Also, try it in Firefox or some other browser to make sure it isn't an IE issue. You could also sign into his laptop and see what results you come up with.

    DNS would be my first guess.
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513
    RTmarc wrote: »
    +1

    Also, try it in Firefox or some other browser to make sure it isn't an IE issue. You could also sign into his laptop and see what results you come up with.

    DNS would be my first guess.

    Yea, the browser could be an issue...IE was a problem for accessing a site at my job before. I wonder if it could be something with his user credentials, but I'm sure that wouldn't have changed for a while
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

    "TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Proxy Setting in the browser - check if the settings are right if any

    I once had a issue with a user who was unable to log - in to yahoo mail - on checking we found a malware and removed it . so worth checking that as well if it helps
    Venturing in to the Unknown

    Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

    The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr IT wrote: »
    Proxy Setting in the browser - check if the settings are right if any

    I once had a issue with a user who was unable to log - in to yahoo mail - on checking we found a malware and removed it . so worth checking that as well if it helps

    Thats a good idea. I've seen some odd proxy settings set up before.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,212 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And the winner is...

    For some reason he had an automatic configuration script set up. Disabling that and restarting the brower was the fix.

    Thanks for all of the replies.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
Sign In or Register to comment.