Command line test question

BaaaruuuceBaaaruuuce Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I take my test in 2 weeks, and I was wondering how pin point they were on there CLI. See Below for an example.

Instead of typing;

Router1>enable
Router1#configure terminal

Can you type the following;

Router1>en
Router1#config t

I have been busting my back with CLI, and I have been short-cutting via not entering the full command. Does Cisco allow this on there simulation questions, or must you type it in full?

Thanks in advance,

Bruceicon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
Excuses are not excuses, unless it's me that needs one:bow:

Comments

  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Baaaruuuce wrote: »
    Does Cisco allow this on there simulation questions, or must you type it in full?
    It only cares about the result of the commands and not how you precisely type them in. In short, yes you can use abbreviated commands. If it doesn't want you to then it will say and will complain when you try to do so. You should know what the full command is still though.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't recall any problems using the shortened commands.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't recall any problems using the shortened commands.

    Same. However someone once said that a test is your opportunity to show knowledge, and it is never bad practice to type out the whole command.

    Just us IT guys like shortcuts that make work faster ;)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can use the shortcuts. You can even use the ? commands.

    I suggest using the shortcuts as it will help you get the test done in the time allotted.

    Good luck!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Same. However someone once said that a test is your opportunity to show knowledge, and it is never bad practice to type out the whole command.

    I don't see how typing out "show ip interface brief" shows more knowledge than "sh ip int br".

    In fact, I'd say it's the opposite.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't see how typing out "show ip interface brief" shows more knowledge than "sh ip int br".

    A little trivia

    I always used to type out "sh ip int brief" because "sh ip int br" wouldn't work on any router with a ISDN BRI port. You'd get

    Router#sh ip int br
    % Incomplete command.

    Router#sh ip int br?
    BRI brief


    You don't see many of those ports around anymore, so nowadays the command can be shortened in most cases.

    :)
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    A little trivia

    I always used to type out "sh ip int brief" because "sh ip int br" wouldn't work on any router with a ISDN BRI port. You'd get

    Router#sh ip int br
    % Incomplete command.

    Router#sh ip int br?
    BRI brief


    You don't see many of those ports around anymore, so nowadays the command can be shortened in most cases.

    :)
    I am humbled.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
Sign In or Register to comment.