Options

Passed Security+ last night

MrGamingGodMrGamingGod Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed Security+ last night with a score of 850. I'd say that most of the questions were straightforward with a few obscure questions that threw me off.

I used Darril Gibson's book as my primary source of study and supplemented it with the CBT Nuggets video training series. There was actually one specific question that I found was covered only in the CBT videos and not in Darril's book, but most of the content was covered very well by Darril (thank you Mr. Gibson!).

Now on to Server 2008 Administrator! :)

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats on the pass.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    TechnitoTechnito Member Posts: 152
    Congratz on the pass :)

I don't think I want to pay $200 bucks for the CBT Nuggets video training. But I've been on search for a good book. So is Darril Gibson's book a good way to go for Security+?
    Knowledge is being an Architect, no matter what field.....
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Technito wrote: »

I don't think I want to pay $200 bucks for the CBT Nuggets video training. But I've been on search for a good book. So is Darril Gibson's book a good way to go for Security+?

Yes, his book is the way to go....

MrGamingGod - congrats on the pass
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well done mate, how you find it?
    Technito wrote: »

I went with Sybex deluxe study guide and CBT nuggets. For me this was perfect combo, passed on second attempt (admittedly I rushed first attempt).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, don't forget to update your profile with the new cert. icon_thumright.gif

Good luck on the MCITP path.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed Security+ last night with a score of 850. I'd say that most of the questions were straightforward with a few obscure questions that threw me off.

I used Darril Gibson's book as my primary source of study and supplemented it with the CBT Nuggets video training series. There was actually one specific question that I found was covered only in the CBT videos and not in Darril's book, but most of the content was covered very well by Darril (thank you Mr. Gibson!).

Now on to Server 2008 Administrator! :)

What was in the CBT Nuggets video?
    I have both CBT Nuggets and Trainsignal as well as VTC for videos. Security+ Cram for the text.
    I find the presenters on those videos poor with good information.
  • Options
    kenny831kenny831 Member Posts: 266
  • Options
    MrGamingGodMrGamingGod Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I'm very excited about the pass and anxious to get started on MCITP. If any of you have good book recommendations for the 70-640 then I'm all ears. :)

I'd say that CBT Nuggets is not really required for a pass but it is good supplemental study material. People aren't joking when they say that Darril's book is all that is really required for a pass. CBT Nuggets might help improve your exam score though and help solidify the information. It did for me.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks guys! I'm very excited about the pass and anxious to get started on MCITP. If any of you have good book recommendations for the 70-640 then I'm all ears. :)

I'd say that CBT Nuggets is not really required for a pass but it is good supplemental study material. People aren't joking when they say that Darril's book is all that is really required for a pass. CBT Nuggets might help improve your exam score though and help solidify the information. It did for me.

I had access to both LabSim and LearnKey for Security+....I found Learnkey to be a waste of my time and terribly corny. The LabSim was good, but he was putting me to sleep (a lot of it I pretty much knew), but it did help others, that much I know. I don't know if CBT Nuggets will do the same for Security+.

I'm gonna see how I do with the reading for MCITP. I will supplement my reading with what I find on the web (Microsoft site, plus the the Claymoore stickies). Good luck in your studies as well and congrats once again.
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I'm using Darril's book to study from too. I hope it helps :)