Desktop Support Salary???

passcert23passcert23 Member Posts: 42 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am working on a gov't contract and I am starting to think my coworkers are getting paid more than I do. We do the same type of the work and most of the time they be asking me for help. Is a frustrating feeling... and is really starting to bother me.

Base on these qualifications how much do you think I am worth? This is my first I.T gig as I skip helpdesk and went straight to desktop support.

-I work for an Air Force Base in Washington D.C
-Secret Clearance
-B.S in MIS
-A+, Net+, Sec+, ITIL v3, MCP
-1 year of work experience in related field

Comments

• SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    My wild guess would be about 55-60k.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In DC, that sounds about right for someone with experience. Someone who's been doing it for 1 year...I'd say $45k-55k. Wouldn't surprise me if it's low $40s though...I know DC and NYC is quite similar in the desktop support game when it comes to money. Cost of living is pretty up there. (NYC would be more COLwise...but salaries are about the same)
  • it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    If you work for a contractor on (I am assuming) Andrews Air Force Base, I would be surprised if you were paid very much coming out of the gate. I am voting for low 40s. Unless you are working around Senior Airmen and Staff Sergeants I doubt your fellow contractors are making much more money than you are. Contracting jobs (unless you are the contract holder) are normally not very lucrative.
  • newguy45newguy45 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends..

If you are a subcontractor and going to be the actual contractor, ask for $$$, put 60 or 65k , the employer will try to match it. The same stuff happened at my place of work. Many people do not ask when they are converting becuase they are afarid...

But in DC and your skills should be 60-63K
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You and coworkers are between 40-50k not a dime more. I work in NJ area and I am at 80k almost and I was doing desktop support it was the same back then. My desktop support makes that where i work.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • CyanicCyanic Member Posts: 289
    Your short experience will really be the deciding factor in your situation. I guess 43-45K. With time will come experience and opportunity to move up esp. as you get to be known around the site. Personal networking will be critical, so keep your chin up and stay positive and this will pay off as much as your experience. In a year or two you should try for a entry level network, security or system administration position as staying with desktop will keep your salary low.

I worked on a Fed Govt site as a contractor for 9 years. Most Desktop support that moved up went into system admin first and then into security or network. Good luck!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know security engineers that are worth twice what they make and they're at 45-50K so don't feel bad. 45-50k for desktop support is very generous compared to many of the places I've been. I've seen desktop support at large enterprises as low as 25k.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will definitely make more than the average if you get a job that requires security clearance. I live in the DC/Baltimore area, and there are many relatively high paying desktop support/help desk jobs which require clearance. I've been searching for a help desk job for awhile, and it's frustrating to see just how many jobs in this area require clearance. I'm about to auction up my soul for some gov't clearance haha.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you work for a contractor on (I am assuming) Andrews Air Force Base, I would be surprised if you were paid very much coming out of the gate. I am voting for low 40s. Unless you are working around Senior Airmen and Staff Sergeants I doubt your fellow contractors are making much more money than you are. Contracting jobs (unless you are the contract holder) are normally not very lucrative.

I'm kind of in agreeance with this. I'm a MD/DC native and thats what I've seen support postings offer around here. The clearance will push you up at max 5-8k of the minimum with a position like this. At the end, it comes down to the employer you run into.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I vote $16 to $20 an hour. When I was working contract work for the Navy in Philly that was the going rate.