Options

Passed XP on second attempt!

davidkgbdavidkgb Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Finally got my XP exam completed last week and passed with flying colours! Failed it the first time round as i had completely underestimated it not taking into account the broad range of networking, partitions and other random scenario questions that it seems Microsoft likes to throw in for good measure (or not!)
I used the MCSA / MCSE microsoft self paced training kit (install, config and admin XP), testout videos and a XP work book that i obtained from a course last year, it was the practice questions though that i felt really made a difference. Even if i had an official guide to XP with me in the exam i still dont think i would have been able to answer some of the questions, my advice would be to do as many practice questions / exams as possible! However saying that your knowledge will carry you further than anything else!
Next up is Server 2008,70-642!

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Many people underestimate it and meet it 2 or even 3 times. Congrats on the pass.

What certification are you going for?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Congratulations davidkgb, good luck on your next exam!icon_cheers.gif
    Which book/video/exam simulation title(s) would in your opinion prepare a candidate for those practice questions that you said made the difference?
    I am currently reading through the 270 self- paced training kit and am waiting for the MOC workbook to (eventually) be delivered.
    My expirience with the XP exam is similar, failed the first time but it was 271 (for MCDST) totally underestimated it and failed...
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am with both of you.. Congrats on the pass brother. I passed mine on the first try, but I will say this.. It wasn't easy. I crammed ALOT, and when I got into the booth, the questions were still difficult. I passed, but it was not with as high of a score as I would have liked.... Congrats again on the pass.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    0Day0Day Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also underestimated that exam, and ended up taking it twice. It was tough.

Congrats on the pass.
    WIP: CISSP/ CCNP
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass and good luck on the 642!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If there is any advice I can give to people (which I may not be qualified for... ) it's to use the Microsoft Press books and CD's, along with Testout material. I used both of those to take my 70-270 test, along with some testout and measureup quizzes, and I feel like it REALLY helped prep me for the test.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    poriggity wrote: »
    If there is any advice I can give to people (which I may not be qualified for... ) it's to use the Microsoft Press books and CD's, along with Testout material. I used both of those to take my 70-270 test, along with some testout and measureup quizzes, and I feel like it REALLY helped prep me for the test.
    Scott
    Which chapter/topic would you say was the most demanding?