Anyone Running Linux as Their Primary OS?

124»

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

I've seen similar charts from AV vendors but I can't find any right now. The difference between 2000 and 2010 is simply money. Back then you had viruses that were pranks and worms that did nothing more than propagate. Occasionally there were some destructive ones, deleting files or launching DDOS attacks, but most were not created for monetary reasons. Now there is a thriving black market with people building and selling commercial virus toolkits, people maintaining and renting botnets, and "bulletproof" datacenters that support criminal activity. Malware is now a full-fledged industry where people can make a living.

I understand what you have included here, it's security 101, my question was specific about the number of attacks reducing. The data I have read all seem to indicate the opposite is true from what Dynamik said (your article for example seems to contradict). I'm not sure if it was said in sarcasm or if I am just not understanding what he was getting at.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I understand what you have included here, it's security 101, my question was specific about the number of attacks reducing. The data I have read all seem to indicate the opposite is true from what Dynamik said (your article for example seems to contradict). I'm not sure if it was said in sarcasm or if I am just not understanding what he was getting at.

He meant it as sarcasm, after taking my post entirely out of context.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    He meant it as sarcasm, after taking my post entirely out of context.

I thought the rolling eyes after he said it kind of gave away that it was a sarcastic comment.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Ship it to me, I'll figure something out! icon_lol.gif Seriously though, that would make a decent virtual lab host. You could for example use VMware Workstation to setup a few virtual ESX machines and study for the VCP. Or install other VMs and study for whatever cert you want. Of course you can use Linux or Windows for that purpose, though.

Agreed, I'm building a box at the end of the year solely for ESXi and Dynamips. I'll use it for other tasks, but that'll be the bulk of its use. An insanely powerful box just gives me more routers/VMs to run :)
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    Man there are some die hard windows guys here. I guess that's a good thing. It will help keep us future linux admins in short supply lol.

Linux has been around since the early 90s, as far as I remember. DOS Based Unix Shell...was supposed to be the Microsoft Killer..........

I'm still waiting, and if it ever does win, I'll pretty much be retired by then..........

Most of the big boys will use HP-UX or Solaris....Linux is pretty much a joke compared to regular Unix, and I'm paraphrasing Unix Admins who make well into six figures.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Most of the big boys will use HP-UX or Solaris....Linux is pretty much a joke compared to regular Unix, and I'm paraphrasing Unix Admins who make well into six figures.
    EC2 is one of the biggest cloud infrastructures in the world and runs on Xen, on Linux of course. What about Google? You can rest assured they aren't paying Oracle billions of dollars a year for a half million Solaris licenses. You can buy a Google Mini and see for yourself that it's running Linux, or research Google Web server (to summarize, it runs on Linux and Google's web sites use it). facebook? Also Linux, and they even host a mirror of popular Linux distributions: Facebook Mirror

What about the 500 fastest super computers in the world?
    Operating System share for 06/2010 | TOP500 Supercomputing Sites

I'll spare you the click, over 90% are running Linux. TWO are running Open Solaris, ZERO run regular Solaris or HP-UX.

The point is that each *nix variant has it's place. To imply that "big boys" don't run Linux is ludicrous.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    EC2 is one of the biggest cloud infrastructures in the world and runs on Xen, on Linux of course. What about Google? You can rest assured they aren't paying Oracle billions of dollars a year for a half million Solaris licenses. You can buy a Google Mini and see for yourself that it's running Linux, or research Google Web server (to summarize, it runs on Linux and Google's web sites use it). facebook? Also Linux, and they even host a mirror of popular Linux distributions: Facebook Mirror

What about the 500 fastest super computers in the world?
    Operating System share for 06/2010 | TOP500 Supercomputing Sites

I'll spare you the click, over 90% are running Linux. TWO are running Open Solaris, ZERO run regular Solaris or HP-UX.

The point is that each *nix variant has it's place. To imply that "big boys" don't run Linux is ludicrous.

That's fine for tech companies, I'm not even on Facebook....but many banks, financial institutions still run HP-UX and Solaris. Big Wall Street firms aren't going to trust trillions of dollars in transactions on the penguin......I will always be a Windows admin. If the demand for Linux was even half (and I promise you, it's not) of what it is for Windows, I'd have "distros" up the ying-yang. But it's not, so whatever to that.

Seriously though, I'll even concede to your point just so that I'm not a part of flame thread. This nonsense really needs to stop. It's like I'm insulting people's (apparently other than dynamik's) mom or something....
    I apologize if my love for the what has paid my bills my entire adult life (Microsoft) has inflamed those looking to make their fad into a reality.
    That's fine for tech companies, I'm not even on Facebook....but many banks, financial institutions still run HP-UX and Solaris. Big Wall Street firms aren't going to trust trillions of dollars in transactions on the penguin......I will always be a Windows admin. If the demand for Linux was even half (and I promise you, it's not) of what it is for Windows, I'd have "distros" up the ying-yang. But it's not, so whatever to that.

Seriously though, I'll even concede to your point just so that I'm not a part of flame thread. This nonsense really needs to stop. It's like I'm insulting people's (apparently other than dynamik's) mom or something....
    I apologize if my love for the what has paid my bills my entire adult life (Microsoft) has inflamed those looking to make their fad into a reality.
    I'm also a Windows admin, however I can get annoyed when complete nonsense gets posted so I had to call you on it. Oh and Linux is alive and well in the financial industry. Spend 5 seconds researching on Google before posting next time. Here's an older article I found:
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/ETrade-VP-Talks-OpenSource/
    MentholMoose
    I'm also a Windows admin, however I can get annoyed when complete nonsense gets posted so I had to call you on it.

I'm not going to say it was complete nonsense...but to each his own.

Problem with threads like these is that I should have had some hard facts to back up what I said. But I neither have the time nor the inclination to do that for a thread I wasn't even reading in the first place. Only for that reason do I apologize and I have to take the "L".
    I'm not going to say it was complete nonsense...but to each his own.

Problem with threads like these is that I should have had some hard facts to back up what I said. But I neither have the time nor the inclination to do that for a thread I wasn't even reading in the first place. Only for that reason do I apologize and I have to take the "L".
    Fair enough. icon_thumright.gif
    MentholMoose
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using linux at home as the only O.S. since 2001, when I dropped win2k pro. and winxp disappointed me; my oldest survival COMPAQ Pentium-2 desktop is still running Slackware (Flickr: marco7l's Photostream) and my newest LENOVO IdeaPad U350 13.3" notebook runs OpenSUSE 11.2... had also a MSI 17" notebook with Debian Sid (Sidux), but I gave it to my wife two years ago, for financial and accounting purposes (and she bought a winxp home license for it to be able to run her business software).
    Most probable, all my computers at home will run (only) LINUX O.S. for the next 10 years (perhaps other O.S. as VM-guest)
This discussion has been closed.