Options

Failed Security+

rolyohhrolyohh Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got a 740 on the Security+ yesterday... frustrating. I cant say I was too upset with my performance I realized the material I had was not enough for me to feel comfortable. I just ordered CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide so I hope to be ready by the end of the month. Any advice?? The Exam Cram by CompTia is all I used and passed the N+ so I figured I could do the same with this exam.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rolyohh wrote: »
    I got a 740 on the Security+ yesterday... frustrating. I cant say I was too upset with my performance I realized the material I had was not enough for me to feel comfortable. I just ordered CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide so I hope to be ready by the end of the month. Any advice?? The Exam Cram by CompTia is all I used and passed the N+ so I figured I could do the same with this exam.

First of all, failing sometimes happens. Don't beat yourself up too much. I failed Network+ (99 objectives...I then passed the N10-003 [more TCP/IP and Cat 5, less IPX/SPX and coaxial [you will have to know something about coaxial for Security+ though, but Darril Gibson will explain everything to you about that and it isn't even much! :D]!).

In any event, when you read Darril's book start at the very beginning. You'll seriously be amazed at how pleasant the reading style is for you. He did a great job of keeping me engaged from beginning to end. I took his practice exam the second to last day before exam day.

Seriously, chuck your Exam Crap (which you pretty much reviewed as such based on your Sec+ experience) and focus on Darril's guide. When you take the exam again, you'll definitely be ready.
  • Options
    security techsecurity tech Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rolyohh wrote: »

Make sure you go over and understand the areas you missed on the exam. They should have given you a print out. But Darril's book will explain everything clearly. I take my exam in a few days. I am sure you will pass next time around.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    An alternative I used was the 11th hour sec+ study guide by Ido Dubrawsky, it was fairly straight forward, followed by reviewing the exam objectives and trying to cover anything new or that I wasn't confident about.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Read Darril's book front to back (it's an easy read). Do all the chapter summary tests and the test at the end of the book a few times. Also spend a little extra time focusing on the areas you missed this time around. I'm sure you'll do find when you test again!
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's pretty close to a passing score. You probably missed it by like a couple questions.

I noticed too that there were a few questions that weren't covered by the book I had (All-In-One Security+). Wondered if it might've been covered in another book but I had a small time-frame within which to study and sit the exam.

If you don't mind, you could always go to Borders and sit there for a few hours and go through the practice questions in other books. I did the 2 100-125 question ones in the ExamCram book at Borders, but the questions on the Security+ exam itself were a lot different (and more poorly worded) than the ones in the books I used to study.
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the pass mark is 760 right?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats nearly a pass, Darril's book will easily put you over that mark. Pass is 750 on a scale of 100-900
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I was in the same boat after I took my Security+ exam in 2005. I read the examcram book and barely failed it. I took it a week later and passed. It's not a big deal, you can just read up on your weaknesses and you should be fine. Darryl's book is awesome and would be a good help as well. I wish they had it in '05 and that I knew of it then.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll get it next time especially if you use Darrils book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll do fine next time. After reading Darril's book, please let us know the differences in this book over the Exam Cram material you used before.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Don't worry my friend..it happens to all of us at some point, but I know you will be better prepared the next time you take it and will look forward to you posting that you passed!
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry about being SO CLOSE! You probably just need a little more sharpening. I'm using Darril's book right now (about 1/3 through) and hope it does the trick icon_razz.gif . Actually I always supplement the reference books with at least two practice exams. For S+ I'm using PrepLogic, uCertify, (and other stuff). I'm not reading straight through. I read the chapters in the book on one of the domains, take the chapter tests, then filter the practice tests to only show those topics. That kind of drills it right in.
    Good Luck on the next round!