Options

cover letter help??

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I'm having the hardest time trying to write this cover letter. I went online to try to get some ideas but it was a little different for me. Could anyone help me out? The position requires that I have a car, 2.8 GPA, able to work the hours, and that I'm going to school for computers. The position will be assisting computer technicians on site and in the office. I tried to add any details of experience that I've had but I found it a little difficult.
The cover letter is an example of what I have.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I would leave GPA off the letter.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    Writing cover letters is by no means my forte, but you need to make it be about what you can do for them. What they can do for you is hunkydory, but it's not why they will hire you.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Just a few changes I would make if I were cleaning it up myself:

I am writing you concerning the part-time position for Technician Assistant, which I learned about through Grand Rapids Community College. I believe that my knowledge and experience would make me a valuable addition to your company's IT department. I am an A+, Network+, and CCENT certified technician and this position would afford me the opportunity to put that knowledge to use. I have excellent customer service skills and would welcome the opportunity to further develop those with your company.

I graduated with an AAS degree in Network Administration in May of 2XXX and am currently pursuing a BS degree in Network Administration and Security. I am also continuing to expand my knowledge and skillset with further self study and certification. I am currently pursuing the CompTIA Security+ and CCNA.

Again, I feel that my knowledge and skillset would make me a valuable asset to your company and I would welcome the opportunity to better present my qualifications in a personal interview. I will call to confirm that both my cover letter and resume have been received next week. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Should you have any questions about my resume or qualifications in the meantime, my number is 1-800-OUR-BADD.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    Hey, xenodamus and everyone else thanks for the input. The GPA was a requirement so would that be in the resume instead?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    I am hiring xenodamus to write my cover letters! icon_cheers.gif
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options

Yea I know. I almost asked if he/she had a pocket sized version of him/herself.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Me too.
    Hey can I use that as a template and just insert my info?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Me too.
    Hey can I use that as a template and just insert my info?

Lol...Sure. My dad and brother were both English majors. Ironically, I'm a talented writer but hate the act of writing. :) Glad to be of help, though.

(I'm a he, by the way. The name is kind of ambiguous. icon_wink.gif)
  • Options
    PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Lol...Sure. My dad and brother were both English majors. Ironically, I'm a talented writer but hate the act of writing. :) Glad to be of help, though.

(I'm a he, by the way. The name is kind of ambiguous. icon_wink.gif)

You are good
  • Options
    krusty83ukkrusty83uk Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□

Amazing letter am not looking for a new job but am going to save this as a template for when I am.

Great work!
  • Options
    Well I just sent in the information, I hope I get an interview. Thanks again xenodamus.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    No problem, man. Good luck!
  • Options
    sainthsainth Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a really neat cover letter, you're my idol nowicon_smile.gif
  • Options
    I used Xenodamus cover letter as my template to create my own and have gotten rave reviews from several people on it. I created a generic cover letter and then add a sentence in the first and last paragraph for the specific position.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    earweed wrote: »
    I used Xenodamus cover letter as my template to create my own and have gotten rave reviews from several people on it. I created a generic cover letter and then add a sentence in the first and last paragraph for the specific position.

:D me too...

I just applied for another position within my company and used Xenodamus' cover letter as a template and made some changes to mine as well.
  • Options
    Glad to be of help. I actually just took some phrases and wording from the last cover letter I wrote (for my current job). I'll post the original up when I get home. When I wrote that letter I looked at alot of examples online and took bits of ideas from all the ones I liked.
  • Options
    I've given you +2 rep points for that letter. It was really good and easy to adjust. I just created a template from your example and then add references to the job posting in the first and third paragraphs. My new cover letter makes the old ones look amateurish and disorganized.
    Hopefully a well crafted cover letter will help me in my job search.
  • Options
    dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Very nice Cover Letter template. I will also be using it after making minor changes as per the job title and requirements.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    This is a letter I put together using ideas I got from various examples online. I always try to tailor my cover letters to the particular company and job I'm targeting. You've got to tell them why you are the best choice and what you can do to benefit THEM. If you have any past experiences that would be of specific interest to a company, point it out. If I were a hiring manager, I would like to see that someone put forth the effort to write a letter just for ME and MY COMPANY.

Happy job hunting!
  • Options
    PPforLifePPforLife Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    xenodamus: Do you have a sample resume also, would love to see one of your resume. thanks again for this post. If you prefer, you can send it threw my PM-AIM or email.
  • Options
    PPforLife wrote: »
    Do you have a sample resume also

Sorry, never revisited the thread to see this. Here's a sample of my last resume. I like to google IT resumes and pull formatting/wording from examples that I like.

HTH