Passed my first cert!

HDI Support Center Analyst

now gotta keep studying for my ITIL V3 Foundation exam on 9/22
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congratulations.

Boy did you mess up. No choice but to keep going now.

The only way out is through!!!
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert! When are you gonna jump over to the dark (MS) side?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • triotrio Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great ,keep them going .icon_arrow.gif
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on your HDI! icon_thumright.gif
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the pass, and good luck with those ITIL studies.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    thanks guys!

Well, I finish my ITIL class this week, and then we take the cert on 9/22. The following week I will start an A+ class for 7 weeks I think and then 5 weeks on Net+

I ordered Daril's book and will be trying to do studying on my own to pass Sec+ before the end of the year.

At that point, depending on my financial situation, I will either try to find a job or I will go to one more quarter of school. That would have me finishing up my Associates and I believe working towards a MCSE. After Net+ you can sort of choose your own adventure, going towards VMware, Cisco, or Microsoft.

It's a small school though, so I think it also depends on how many people sign up for what, the teacher seems to think it's going to be Microsoft in Jan 2011

I also joined my local chapter of HDI to try to get a jump on networking to find a job once I get some more certs locked down. $75 for a student membership for 1 year, and $145 for the test. My pocket took quite a hit this week, but the rest of the certs should be covered by the tuition I already paid. And if I meet a good contact at the monthly HDI meetings, that 75 I dropped will be well worth it.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
  • cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    HDI Support Center Analyst

now gotta keep studying for my ITIL V3 Foundation exam on 9/22

Congrats on the pass! I'm from Louisville too! What school are you attending?
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
    Congrats on the pass! I'm from Louisville too! What school are you attending?

hey sweet, I thought I was all alone on these boards!

I'm at Sullivan University. I went to UofL 10 years ago but never finished, same with IUS. But last year I went online and finished up an Associates online with Phoenix. I was just looking to get certs and Sullivan had a program that combined certs with a degree. So in March I will have another Associate and then move on to my Bachelor's.

you know anything about these places?

Home

http://www.ksfhdi.org/

I am going to check them both out this month
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101

Congrats on the pass! I think there are a few from KY here on the boards...I'm down in Elizabethtown. I'd be curious what you find out about those two orgs. you posted links to..It's a bit of a drive for me, but if it meant learning some stuff and networking with people in the field, I'd be interested too...
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on the pass Mike!

I am looking at the HDI supervisor or manager one. What did you think of the course you took?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats, hopefully it has made you hungry for more.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□

I'm at Sullivan University. I went to UofL 10 years ago but never finished, same with IUS. But last year I went online and finished up an Associates online with Phoenix. I was just looking to get certs and Sullivan had a program that combined certs with a degree. So in March I will have another Associate and then move on to my Bachelor's.

you know anything about these places?

Home

Kentuckiana Support Forum

I am going to check them both out this month

lol, small world. I go to Sullivan College Of Technology & Design; It's owned by Sullivan University. My last day is September 8th & I graduate on October 9th. Then, I plan to continue my Bachelors Degree at WGU because Sullivan is hella expensive.

I do not know anything about those groups but they have certainly piqued my interest.
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Mike! Sounds awesome.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz!

What are you aiming to do with your IT career? HDI and ITIL make me think Help Desk, and IT management. I'm curious because I know of people doing well in the service desk side of things.
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
    Geetar28 wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! I think there are a few from KY here on the boards...I'm down in Elizabethtown. I'd be curious what you find out about those two orgs. you posted links to..It's a bit of a drive for me, but if it meant learning some stuff and networking with people in the field, I'd be interested too...

on September 17th I am going to the HDI one, so I will let you know how it is
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    N2IT wrote: »
    Congratz on the pass Mike!

I am looking at the HDI supervisor or manager one. What did you think of the course you took?

the course I took was from a local University, but I think it's pretty well respected around here... the course was fine, I have worked in a call center for BellSouth and I found most of it common sense customer service stuff or similar to stuff that BellSouth tried to cram into my brain...

we also used this book:

Amazon.com: A Guide to Service Desk Concepts: Service Desk and the IT Infrastructure Library (9780324785067): Donna Knapp: Books

decent book, but some of it was too basic... I would have prefered some type of practice tests to go over, but I didn't want to pay for anything else...

and we used those awful skillports
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    lol, small world. I go to Sullivan College Of Technology & Design; It's owned by Sullivan University. My last day is September 8th & I graduate on October 9th. Then, I plan to continue my Bachelors Degree at WGU because Sullivan is hella expensive.

I do not know anything about those groups but they have certainly piqued my interest.

I think I originally was looking at the SCTD like you, but ended up going to the wrong place, and then I just liked the program I talked about with the admission guy...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Congratz!

What are you aiming to do with your IT career? HDI and ITIL make me think Help Desk, and IT management. I'm curious because I know of people doing well in the service desk side of things.

the school I am at, Sullivan University makes you start out in HDI & ITIL, and then A+/Net+, after that you can branch off...

to me security or being an "ethical hacker" sounds cool, but I think it's all still too new to me to decide my path
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark