Options

How early do you get up to go to work?

Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok, so I just got my schedule for my new job that I start on the 13th of September and I noticed that it has me working Monday-Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM. I've had enough trouble as it is getting up by 8:00 AM to get to my current job by 8:30 AM. But now I get to look forward to getting up by 6:15 AM so I can have time to shower before leaving for work around 6:40 AM (it's about a 15 mile commute).

So I'm curious, how early do you guys get up to get to work?
-Michael Palmer
WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get up at 6 AM and get to work by 7 leaving at around 3:30. They are pretty flexible with hours so I could have worked anytime from 6-6 as long as I get my 8 hours in. I don't trust myself to get up at 5 everyday to get in by 6. I wish I did though I would love to get off work at 2:30. Sounds like you need to go to bed earlier ;) The key to getting up is not using the snooze button.
  • Options
    My problem isn't getting to bed earlier, it's having a 16 month old, and 2 month old, icon_razz.gif.
    -Michael Palmer
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hereby retract my previous statement. God bless you and good luck getting up everyday :D
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I rarely sleep the whole 8 hours straight as something always wakes me so I'm up at all hours of the evening (work nights and a little on some days) but I usually wake at 6 PM if I have to work that night.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I haven't had 8 hours of sleep before work (if I work that day) since I lived with my parents.....lol.

Lately I've been going to bed between midnight and 1:30 (2 the latest!). I get up around 7:30-8 to be out by a quarter to 8-9. I start work at 9:30 and I have a 20 minute commute. On occasion, I have to be at work earlier, but I'm always given a heads up. Then I sleep accordingly and get up 2 hours before I have to show up. Coffee has become my new best friend. :D
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually get up somewhere between 6 and 6:30 and get to work for 7:30. That gives me about 35-40 minutes of alone time in the office to make coffee, do some internets and just get into a groove before all the slackers like dynamik start rolling in.

In his defense though, I'd probably be late too if I had to deal with Paul's mom every morning.
    :study:
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shaqazoolu wrote: »
    In his defense though, I'd probably be late too if I had to deal with Paul's mom every morning.

I'm actually with her the night before. I just have to waste a bunch of time in the morning applying the topical creams to keep the outbreaks at bay...
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hmm, depends on the day. Over the last few months it has been anywhere from 2:30AM to 8:30AM. With needing to be to work being 3:30AM - 10:00AM.
  • Options
    I'm probably gonna have to make friends with coffee like some of you guys have. I'm normally a soda fan, but even Mountain Dew can't get me passed the 6 AM hump, icon_razz.gif. At least I'm not alone on the early mornings... could be worse, I could be working nights like earweed.
    -Michael Palmer
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am usually up at 6:00 am and off to work by 6:45am and in work around 8:00 am. I work till 5:00. I am in bed anywhere from 10:00 pm and 12:00 pm. Depends on the kids, wife, and study time.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Old job, I was complaining about getting up at 8am to be at the office by 9am. Now I'm up at 6:30am to be in the office by 8am.

I broke it down today... To get breakfast and be at work by 8am, I need to be up 6am to be work by 8am. To get the 8 hours of sleep I need to function at my best, I need to be in bed by 10pm. To comply with the recommendation of not eating four hours before bed, I need to eat when I get home, which is usually around 5:30pm to 6pm, if I'm working in town and not at a client. That leaves me four hours of free time a day. That's ridiculous. I imagine this is what a lot of people's schedules look like, too.

If I'm working at a client, it's even worse, because of the hour to 1.5 hour commute back, which has me back home around 7pm, sometimes 730pm.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wake up at 5pm to eat breakfast and get ready for day then try to leave for work at 6pm to get there at 7pm about 30 miles away.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Old job, I was complaining about getting up at 8am to be at the office by 9am. Now I'm up at 6:30am to be in the office by 8am.

I broke it down today... To get breakfast and be at work by 8am, I need to be up 6am to be work by 8am. To get the 8 hours of sleep I need to function at my best, I need to be in bed by 10pm. To comply with the recommendation of not eating four hours before bed, I need to eat when I get home, which is usually around 5:30pm to 6pm, if I'm working in town and not at a client. That leaves me four hours of free time a day. That's ridiculous. I imagine this is what a lot of people's schedules look like, too.

If I'm working at a client, it's even worse, because of the hour to 1.5 hour commute back, which has me back home around 7pm, sometimes 730pm.

Be grateful you do have time. Remember one thing you always have time for yourself. Go lock yourself in the data closet for a few minutes and just relax to quiet time :) There are ways to get away and schedule time accordly.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    forkvoid wrote: »

Pretty much. It's gotten to the point where I either skip breakfeast or much on a cereal bar in the car on the way to the office. I have to be in by 8 and work til 5. I don't get home til 5:30-5:45 due to traffic, by the time I eat its 6:30 and i have 3-4 hours before I get in bed. Those days suck.

Typically 2-3 days a week I am going to a client's first so i dont roll in til 9 (gives them time to open up and get situated). And if am at a clients and get done and its already 3pm, i just head for the house. So many days end up very shot and relaxing and other days are long and drawn out.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Alarm goes off at 6:00am I am in the shower by 6:45 and out the door at 7:00
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Alarm at 5:50am
    Get up between 5:50am and 6:20
    Down the gym for 6:30am
    There for an hour
    Home
    Shower
    Leave for work at 8:00am
    Home about 5:45PM
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    4:00 am :/

Start dealing with the outages nice and early.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    When I'm home: 7am alarm goes off. Out the door by 7:30-7:40AM
    When at the girlfriend's (3-4 times a week) Up at 6:30AM out the door by 7:00-7:15AM.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    6 AM, and out the door by 7.
  • Options
    CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my body refuses to get up before 7am...no matter how much sleep i get if i have to get up before 7 its going to be a bad day....not really a morning person at all
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wake up at 6am every day to study for an hour and 45 minutes to leave for my 5 min commute to be at work by 8. I work till 5, and get to bed at 9. Rinse, repeat.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Alarm is set for 7, I usually play the snooze game for awhile and crawl out of bed around 7:30. Grab a shower and dress and I'm out the door by 8.

There have been times that I have tried to get up earlier and get some studying in or to go for a morning jog, but I'm just not much of a morning person and can't pry my butt out any earlier.

The trade-off is that I am usually up until 11-12 studying.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Alarm set 6am
    Actually get up 645-700
    Shower/Shave/Breakfast
    Out the door on the road by 8am
    Work by 9am
    Home around 630pm

Times vary depending on traffic
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Up at 5am and out the door by 6:50am to go around the corner for 7am. I like my morning time and can't stand being rushed. Used to have to get up at 2am for a 2 1/2 hour commute. The job sucked, the pay sucked but the experience was good and it kept me busy until I got another job.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    eansdad wrote: »
    Up at 5am and out the door by 6:50am to go around the corner for 7am. I like my morning time and can't stand being rushed. Used to have to get up at 2am for a 2 1/2 hour commute. The job sucked, the pay sucked but the experience was good and it kept me busy until I got another job.

I used to work early mornings at Target. Shift started at 4:00, I got out of bed at 3:45.

One day my alarm died and I didn't show up until 8:30 lol. I held the record for about a year until a coworker did they same thing but he didn't show up until 9:30
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm up at5:30am to be at work by 7:15. Work till 6 pm, then school/studying till 10pm. Then I get up and do it all over again.. At a job I hate (because it's not in the IT field.) Resume is currently floating around, and has been given to 4 different companies in the local area that need IT people.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    _SyPhoN_SyPhoN Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wake up at 4:30am
    out the door at 5am
    start at 6am get off work at 6pm....
    Daytime Noc rotation is sweet compared to the night swing imo.
    Certified: A+, HP2-Q01 | In Progress: CCENT | On Deck: CCNA, Security+
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alarm at 8:00 AM
    Coffee
    Coffee Again
    Shower
    Quick Breakfast
    Out by 8:45
    @ work by 9:00
    Finish at 5:00 PM
    @ Home by 5:15
    Gym at 7:00 PM three times a week.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I get up at 0500 to be to work by 0745. My new schedule, if I get days will start at 0700 which means I'll be up at 0430 to be to work on time.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    Up anywhere from 4pm to 7pm, depending on how noisy the kids and dogs are. Off to work about 915-930pm, for a 25 mile drive.