Options

Minor in Business?

iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just wondering if any people here are Business Minors on top of their Bachelor's in IT/CS etc.

At my university, we're given 15 elective credits. 2 required courses for the BS in IT overlap with 5 courses required for a Business Minor meaning I'd have to take 3 more.

Not sure if there's much value in this in the marketplace though. I can take the 3 courses or just take more fun/interesting electives and probably get easy A's.

Any opinions, preferably actual experiences, with having a Minor in Business would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Is your B.S. already in a business major (e.g. most of your classes are at the business building)? If so I don't see the need for a business minor. However, I think a CS major (lots of math and programming) with a business minor is a great combination.

Myself I have an unrelated B.S. with a minor in Information Systems and Technology. At my university the IS&T is a mixture of business and tech classes like networking, programing, and desktop (A+). So far most IT postings seems to be pretty specific requesting a B.S. in CS, Info Sys, Engineering, Math, or Physical Sciences. I haven't seen a Sys Admin posting that requested a major or minor in business.

I am sure, though, that a business background would help you in the interview since accounting, et al, is the language of business.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.