Options

CCNA Newbie Lab

brobertsbroberts Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, currently I'm a student and a little strapped for cash. Been looking to get a CCNA lab set-up, and I've had a box of old Cisco gear hanging around that my father left for me. So far, I've got 2x 2520 routers, 2x 2514 routers, think I have another 2500 series router hanging around here somewhere too. Also have a C2924M-XL switch and a PIX-506 firewall. I'm sure I won't need the 506 for anything yet, but outside of that would this be a viable set-up for a CCNA lab? I see a lot of people going to the 2600 and 2900 series, would that be a better option? Suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    From what I have gathered if you plan on going past the CCNA or wanting to cover all of the material the 2600XM series routers are prefered as well as at least 2950 series for the switches and a 3550 for layer 3 switching :) I am sure there are more seasoned guys that will chime in and correct me if I am wrong but I believe this is the basis for a great learning lab.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    broberts wrote: »
    Hey guys, currently I'm a student and a little strapped for cash. Been looking to get a CCNA lab set-up, and I've had a box of old Cisco gear hanging around that my father left for me. So far, I've got 2x 2520 routers, 2x 2514 routers, think I have another 2500 series router hanging around here somewhere too. Also have a C2924M-XL switch and a PIX-506 firewall. I'm sure I won't need the 506 for anything yet, but outside of that would this be a viable set-up for a CCNA lab? I see a lot of people going to the 2600 and 2900 series, would that be a better option? Suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Use GNS3 for routing, I use GNS3 for my CCNP.

2 or 3 2950's for switching.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Use GNS3 for routing, I use GNS3 for my CCNP.

2 or 3 2950's for switching.

Might want to toss a layer 3 switch or two. Personally I'm going to buy 2 2950's and 2 3550's, and use GNS3. That should set you up well for the TSHOOT topology.

EDIT: Oops, I thought I was in the CCNP forum XD. 2 or 3 2950's and GNS3 will serve most of your purposes for CCNA.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    broberts wrote: »

The routers you have are sufficient for the CCNA as long as they have enough memory and you have enough cables. The 2924XL is a little limited, but can still be useful as a 3rd switch. I would grab a pair of 2950 switches (one if its all you can afford, two if you can) and you'll be fine.

As others have mentioned, you can do a lot of the routing work with GNS3, but its still good to get some hands on with real gear if you haven't had much experience with routers.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!
  • Options
    brobertsbroberts Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Alan2308:Thanks for the welcome and good wishes!

So, pretty much the concensus is get 2 2950 switches, a layer 3 switch, possibly a 2600 series router, and use GNS3. Sounds great! Thanks for all the help guys.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're studying for just the CCNA, you don't really need an L3 switch or any other routers right now. There will be plenty of opportunity to spend money as you progress through the certs, but you don't need to bankrupt yourself now. :)