Options

Test Route dilemma

ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
I have a dilemma I need to figure out and wanted the pros of Tech Exams to submit their advice.

I am a student at WGU in the security track where two of the classes is the CCNA and then the CCNA:S. They do not do the two test route for the CCNA only the 640-802 exam.

I am still learning and do not work with Cisco equipment daily so I am limited in exposure. I have taken the Cisco Net Academy classes but that was 4 years ago :)

They waived the CCNA requirement for my CompTIA Network+ cert so I could skip it and go directly into the CCNA Security but for me that is a big gap.

Now to my question. As far as learning would it be better to take the CCENT first and then the CCNA (ICND2) on my own (I would have to pay for both tests) or ask for the Net+ to be waived and then I would have to take the full CCNA exam at once (Single exam not the 2 exam route) and have them pay for it.

I am not worried about the costs of the test I just want the direction that will help me learn and earn the best.

Thanks for your guys input, I look forward to what you have to say :)
Working on currently:
Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1

Comments

• Options
    0Day0Day Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was in a similar situation. I had the Net+ cert and also went through the Cisco Network Academy, but never sat for the test. Until two years later. I think it was easy to do the single test, because with the experience gained from the Net+ and Academy all I really did was read the Odom books and bought some gear from ebay and studied and it all came back to me. It also helped that I support networks daily. I think you would be ok if you just brush up on labs and subnetting.
    WIP: CISSP/ CCNP
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    ajmatson wrote: »
    I have a dilemma I need to figure out and wanted the pros of Tech Exams to submit their advice.

I am a student at WGU in the security track where two of the classes is the CCNA and then the CCNA:S. They do not do the two test route for the CCNA only the 640-802 exam.

I am still learning and do not work with Cisco equipment daily so I am limited in exposure. I have taken the Cisco Net Academy classes but that was 4 years ago :)

They waived the CCNA requirement for my CompTIA Network+ cert so I could skip it and go directly into the CCNA Security but for me that is a big gap.

Now to my question. As far as learning would it be better to take the CCENT first and then the CCNA (ICND2) on my own (I would have to pay for both tests) or ask for the Net+ to be waived and then I would have to take the full CCNA exam at once (Single exam not the 2 exam route) and have them pay for it.

I am not worried about the costs of the test I just want the direction that will help me learn and earn the best.

Thanks for your guys input, I look forward to what you have to say :)

ajmatson,

Do you have alumni access to the Cisco Networking Academy site at http://cisco.netacad.net ?
  • Options
    ajmatson,

Do you have alumni access to the Cisco Networking Academy site at http://cisco.netacad.net ?

I have the first three for CCNA Exploration, yes. My school did not offer the fourth section unfortunately.

The courses open under CCNA Exploration are:
    • Networking Fundamentals
    • Routing Concepts and Protocols
    • LAN Switching and Wireless
    Is this what you are referring to?
    Working on currently:
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since you have access to those course you should probably get your CCNA on your own. It may be easier for you to do it the one test route as that's half the questions of the 2 test route. Price is the same for either route.
    Just my two cents.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Since you have access to those course you should probably get your CCNA on your own. It may be easier for you to do it the one test route as that's half the questions of the 2 test route. Price is the same for either route.
    Just my two cents.

That's what I was thinking as well, just wanted to make sure it was a good decision. That way it is a single test and WGU will pay for it :)

Thx guys.
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    I have the first three for CCNA Exploration, yes. My school did not offer the fourth section unfortunately.

The courses open under CCNA Exploration are:
    • Networking Fundamentals
    • Routing Concepts and Protocols
    • LAN Switching and Wireless
    Is this what you are referring to?

ajmatson,

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Now, are you able to access the "CCNA Discovery" curriculum material?
  • Options
    ajmatson,

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Now, are you able to access the "CCNA Discovery" curriculum material?

Yea I just noticed that one is there too :)
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    Yea I just noticed that one is there too :)

ajmatson,

The first two courses in the CCNA Discovery curriculum are geared towards the 640-822 ICND1 certification exam that leads to Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) certification.
  • Options
    ajmatson,

The first two courses in the CCNA Discovery curriculum are geared towards the 640-822 ICND1 certification exam that leads to Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) certification.

So between the Academy material, Odom's CCNA book, and my home lab I should have enough to just study all out and take the one CCNA exam?

:)
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So between the Academy material, Odom's CCNA book, and my home lab I should have enough to just study all out and take the one CCNA exam?

:)

I think you should be fine but "enough" is relative to the person lol. The last section you can definitely study yourself; its just ACLs, DHCP, NAT, FR, and PPP basically the WAN section of everything. Packet Tracer will be pretty much all you need but a live lab is nice too. I ended up taking the two exam approach but the professor was teaching full courses so for some reason the other two unlocked. :)
  • Options
    I think you should be fine but "enough" is relative to the person lol. The last section you can definitely study yourself; its just ACLs, DHCP, NAT, FR, and PPP basically the WAN section of everything. Packet Tracer will be pretty much all you need but a live lab is nice too. I ended up taking the two exam approach but the professor was teaching full courses so for some reason the other two unlocked. :)

Sweet. Yea I took a year and a half (3 of the 4) net academy classes. My lab consists of an 1841 and 2 2610XM routers with two 2950's and a 2924 switch.

I will just put all of my effort into it and it should pay off. I have 6 months to study before I have to take the exam.
    Working on currently: