How do you take notes, when studying for a certification?

2»

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mattrgee wrote: »
    Watch the CBT Nuggets Series from beginning to end without taking any notes. I use this as an oppotunity to sit and listen about the technology.

I've tried this method before but I find that I often don't make it back for the second viewing. Test day starts to close in and I run out of time and only go back to review the more difficult videos. Which is probably just as well since if the material is easy I shouldn't need to waste my time watching it again.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only watch videos once usually. I tend to read (at least some sections and chapters) twice. I sometimes use one-note but have gotten away from that as I found I was doing a lot of copy paste when readinf technet articles or ebooks on 24x7. If I take notes it is by hand and after I've gone through the whole chapter and re-reading it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Generally, my studying goes like this:

-Check the exam objectives. Judge any areas I think I'm weak at.
    -Take an initial practice exam. This will let me know my strengths and weaknesses.
    -Read through a chapter, end of chapter practice exam, labs. (I'm in MS Press books). Generally, this is enough for me.
    -After all the chapters are knocked out, I do test prep. As many practice exams as possible. Restudy any questionable areas. Use another source if needed. Once I feel comfortable with all the topics, I'll schedule the exam for a week or 2 out, giving myself time to polish up on anything.

I don't take notes. They usually slow me down. The end of chapter review will keep the main points fresh in my mind. I'm a hands on guy. If I can't do it in practice, I don't know it.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan