Options

Resume: NEED Advice/Help

EZ21EZ21 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
[FONT=&quot]Hello all, I am new here and just graduated from Cal State Fullerton 2 months ago after finishing up summer school. My degree is Management Information Systems with only academic projects as my experience. Been applying like crazy for any open positions in and around my area but have had little luck. Went on an interview last week for Help desk/ Support desk but didn't get the job. Here is my resume and please give me your honest opinion cuz i need HELP!!!

[FONT=&quot]2005-2010[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Bachelors Of Arts in Management Information Systems (MIS)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]School [/FONT][FONT=&quot] California State University Fullerton, Fullerton, CA[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Information Systems Skills:[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Microsoft (Office, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Java J2EE (Java syntax and structure,[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Object-Oriented Programming)[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Local Area Networking & WAN (telecommunications protocol, network architectures and configurations)[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]ASP.NET (development of Web sites and dynamic Web pages)[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summary of Qualifications:[/FONT]

· [FONT=&quot]Excellent interpersonal skills [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Excellent team member[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Great Communication skills[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Work Experience:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2006-2008 Childcare Attendant I[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Walnut Valley Unified School District[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Duties:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Created outdoor Activities for students and tutored students on Math and Science[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Started a computer club where students worked on computers. Students learned about basic software such as Internet explorer, word and how to print documents. Students also learned basic hardware information such as the processor, memory and hard drive.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2008-2010 Childcare Attendant I Substitute [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Walnut Valley Unified School District[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Duties:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Created outdoor Activities for students and tutored students on Math and Science[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ACADEMIC PROJECTS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Web Development Project: (8/21/09-12/17/09) [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Created a website using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Applied database techniques inside of Visual Studios to connect a website to the database[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Presented and explained in detail the website to 35 individuals [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Main duty involved creating a website using object oriented design.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Database Project: (1/27/10 -5/20/10) [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Designed a basic website through ASP.NET[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Using Microsoft Access to create a Database[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Linked the website to the Database in order to match inputs from the website[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Main duties involved creating the website and linking the database [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Local Area Network (LAN) Project: (1/27/10 -5/20/10) [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Created a local area network from the ground up for a large home [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Calculated the cost of all of the products required to complete the task[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Itemized each component and explained in detail why each item was used [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Created a floor plan which showed placement of all the items [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Calculated going rates for the install of all of the wires, hubs, router and cables[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Main duties of this project included itemizing each product required and calculated total cost of the entire project
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off, what type of job are you looking for? What do you want to start out doing?

It actually looks pretty good to me. I would probably move the projects closer to the education section and put work experience at the end since it is non-IT related and the projects are IT related.
    In the projects section some of the bulleted points seem to be redundant and you could probably combine several of the calculating cost points into 1 bullet point.
    If there is any one thing you really enjoyed while doing the projects and are good at include that in the skills summary. That section seems kind of generic and almost not worthy of being that high up on the page. You may even want to tailor that section to go with the type of job you are looking for.
    Just my 2 cents and I'm sure there will be others who will also offer you some good advice.

Edit: You may want to check out position 1 here http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/57857-couple-employment-opportunities-los-angeles-san-fernando-valley-area.html
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, just updated resume...
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @earweed thanks for the thread referral!

Fullerton to the San Fernando Valley is a bit of a trek especially with LA traffic!

@EZ21 I don't know if you are still in the Fullerton area or somewhere else but if you are near the LA area shoot me a pm if you are interested.

Regards,

~CP
  • Options
    contentpros = I would have been very interested in this entry level position but I live in Chino, which is even further from Fullerton. A little too far away for me....