Options

Job offer

MrpcsorianoMrpcsoriano Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would you accept a job offer of $12/hr no benefits. I feel like choking the guy for the insult.
PCS

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
  • Options
    Free RangeFree Range Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How much do you get in your current position?
  • Options
    hc2abhc2ab Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    what kind of experience, degree, certificate do you have.

I'll take the job but I don't live in US. different country you can't compare
  • Options
    Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if it gets you in the IT door.
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    Provide more information. What type of job, where is it located, etc. If there is no demand for your given profession the pay is probably right. $12 an hour isn't bad for entry level, you could buy a nice refrig box if it's in New York or a palace in India.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thats tru... what kinda job is it and what skills do u have.... that will make all the diff.. if u got 3 years of IT experience i would ask them " do u think i smoke crack?".. i have told many recruiters and HR ppl.. plz never contact me again b/c u have insulted me approaching me in that maner.. honestly i tell ppl whats exactly on my mind .. recently i told an recruiter for company i won't name (RHI) never call me for less than 20 hr.. which is minimum if i'm bored and want something low level to do...
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon, do you have 10 years of experience or something?
  • Options
    GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    I took a job of $10.67/hr (CDN) Part-Time. But Ive never worked in the field before, and Im still going to school. So Im doing it for the experience and possable advancement at this company.

Gawd
  • Options
    /usr wrote:
    no but i have worked my way up in the field from computer operator to IT director and now all i do is networking (wired/wireless) cisco related work...and if u let someone pay u low and not fairly (which i did to get experience) they will try to screw u every time.. and currently i'm jus going back to collect certs i should have long ago
  • Options
    fonduefondue Member Posts: 104
    keenon wrote:
    recently i told an recruiter for company i won't name (RHI) never call me for less than 20 hr

I won't name the company either (Robert Half International) bills clients around 2x - 3x what they pay. I was insulted by them once too.
  • Options
    see , i knew someone else knows the game.. if they selling your skills to someone, sell your skills to them( if u making 5 dollars off of me best believe i'm getting 3.50 ) icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    MrpcsorianoMrpcsoriano Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have 4 years experience as a tech/help desk preceded by 8 years as a data processor. As for my education, I have an Associate's Degree in Computer Info Systems. A+, Net + certs from CompTIA. VB.Net and Web Developer certs from college.
    The job is 10 minutes away from home which is the only good thing I can think of and the position is Help Desk.
    We're under the negotiation process now and I have countered his proposal to 32,000/yr. He stated that there will be an increase in 90 days based on performance. Would you guys actually believe that? Furthermore, how much increase can they actually give in 90 days? Any ideas?
    PCS
  • Options
    icon_mad.gif tell them hell no.. take it if u need something to do b/c u bored or need the cash.. but as for me u already know icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    He stated that there will be an increase in 90 days based on performance. Would you guys actually believe that? Furthermore, how much increase can they actually give in 90 days? Any ideas?

This is a common thing from what I have experienced. It's kinda a trial run period to see if you really know your stuff are worth the extra cash. If you come in and the 90 days turns into more of a training period for you then the pay raise may be non-existant.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    fondue wrote:
    keenon wrote:
    I won't name the company either (Robert Half International) bills clients around 2x - 3x what they pay. I was insulted by them once too.

The going split is about 3:1 (bill vs pay). My pimp splits equally what he bills for. I know this because he's told me and I've seen the invoices. Listening to what he has to go thru to get the $$ from the company, I don't mind. :)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    telll them no.. that sounds like the bait and switch.. i had that happen once before and they never came through with the money after 90 days ... after 6 months or a year .. it was a little over a year after threating to quit( by the way i knew all the systems and noone else did) i got a a barely noticable raise... and i was the director by then... do it if u need the cash but if your not hurting look elsewhere
  • Options
    rentaghostrentaghost Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    He stated that there will be an increase in 90 days based on performance.
    Would it be possible for him to quantify the performance goals he speaks of and also state what the pay increase would be?
    If there are measurable goals that you can aim for then that is black and white but if its one of the usual performance measures based on a general feeling of if you fit in and are not a troublemaker etc. then you are less likely to see anything extra after 90 days.

But, In my experience its difficult to force yourself to ask these types of questions, especially if you are possibly out of work and could do with the job right now just for the money (any money).
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always hold out for an offer you are comfortable with.

This will help force the rip off guys into paying what you are really worth and if they do get someone at that rate they'll either leave at the first sign of a decent offer or they'll be so useless they'll never hire at that rate again.

Not sure if its the same in the States but I could leave high school and get a job paying more than that with no education and/or skills.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Negotiate. People get paid $12.00 to manage drug addicts at McDonalds. Your worth more. Getting jobs in IT almost makes me sick, I don't think anything really good is said in the "IT Job Forum", in a few years I do not even want to be doing this. get enough money to bank roll something better than configuring routers & VPNs for someone else.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    /usr wrote:

I do!!! 10 years in the field. Been around when Windows 3.1 and DOS were the talk of town. icon_rolleyes.gif You were the man if you had a 10MB HD and a 128MB SIMM chip was close to $1,000. Anyone remember that???
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    rentaghostrentaghost Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You were the man if you had a 10MB HD Anyone remember that???

Sure do, "what would anyone possibly need a 10Mb hard disk for?"
  • Options
    All of this depends on where you're located as well. Around here, you're lucky to get $5.50 an hour at a fast food place. Travel two hours from here, at $10 an hour is common to start.

Not sure if its the same in the States but I could leave high school and get a job paying more than that with no education and/or skills.

Yes, but that is expected. There are tradeoffs though. You can make quite a bit of money in construction. However, you travel constantly and have to work in all types of weather. Here, we get to sit in an office and barely have to leave our desk.

I worked construction my first year out of high school and was actually making more than I am now due to the money I was paid to travel and the hours I could work. I was offered a job that paid $30 an hour doing some similar work, which I could have gotten, no questions asked, but I declined so I could finish school and do what I love to do. I don't expect to make $30 an hour in this field for quite a few years, but it has it's benefits.

Then again, it depends on what type of person you are. I would MUCH rather be happy with my job and make half the money.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Well, in the Atlanta area, 12/hr is pretty standard for a help desk job. Like these guys have said, it all depends on the area you live in.

Personally, with the outsourcing trend, I'd be very leery of taking *any* help desk jobs.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Then again, it depends on what type of person you are. I would MUCH rather be happy with my job and make half the money.

I totally agree with that but I have friends that drive trucks, work security on trains, loading trucks with forklifts and they are the laziest people I know. They start work dead on time, take every break and lunch break they are given and walk out the door at finishing time on the dot. And if they work overtime they get paid time and a half. They usually make about the same as me, even more with their overtime.

Now I never get breaks, work through almost every lunch break and spend countless hours working from home not to mention all the study I do to keep up with it all and end up with the same money. It just gets frustrating even though I am doing something I love.

I guess all the hard work will pay off someday.

Funny how we all thought that computers would run the world and that people running the computers would be have the highest honours. Social change is amazing!
  • Options
    tschnabel99tschnabel99 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm a career changer and laid off from a 2 year stint as sys/admin. Had a job offer for $25,000 a year and no benefits. Maybe a bonus at christmast. Was one of 4 finalist out of 40 apps. Well, I told them that would be a step down for me. I mean after taxes and child support I'm practically working for nothing. This job was for a "computer engineer". I don't regret not getting the job. Even tho I have been laid off for over a year now and don't have anything but part-time contract work going I don't regret not giving my services away. Also had a recruiter want to pay me $14 an hour fulltime perm. She agreed and told the client they would not find anybody for that for what they wanted. Nope not giving it away girls. I don't regret it. But I am in poor shape to say the least.
    Hain't no thang like a chicken wang!!
  • Options
    Keep your head up, something good will come up eventually.
  • Options
    tschnabel99tschnabel99 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow! Your reply was only 13 minutes after my post. Gawd I must be a geek for noticing stuff like that. Details in the numbers.
    Hain't no thang like a chicken wang!!
  • Options