Options

Shodown taking a bite out of the CCIE pie

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Completed console server installation this morning. Its up and working great. Had a bunch of console cables from site installations, cut off the back and put RJ45's on them. Now All i need is some sort of remote power cycling device and I can start labbing away from home. All the gear is kinda loud in my apartment. I will post pics on my blog soon

vid below

http://urbanengineercisco.blogspot.com/2010/10/where-have-i-been.html
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    So got a offer today as a Sr UC support Engineer at a partner. This will quickly Derail my CCIE studies as I would have to get Knee deep back in VOIP. As many of you know that have read my blog me and my manager don't see eye to eye and today somebody made a comment to me about how they put my current salary situation on blast(they didn't say my salary, but made a comment about a raise in front of everyone). So me and the GF will discuss this weekend and see what the best option is for us.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shodown wrote: »
    So got a offer today as a Sr UC support Engineer at a partner. This will quickly Derail my CCIE studies as I would have to get Knee deep back in VOIP. As many of you know that have read my blog me and my manager don't see eye to eye and today somebody made a comment to me about how they put my current salary situation on blast(they didn't say my salary, but made a comment about a raise in front of everyone). So me and the GF will discuss this weekend and see what the best option is for us.

Sounds like a good opportunity good luck with that. How are your CCIE studies going generally? Do you have study plans this weekend?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Sounds like a good opportunity good luck with that. How are your CCIE studies going generally? Do you have study plans this weekend?

I usually watch CBT's and then follow it up with some reading. Take light notes on small things to remember. If I take on the new job I will have to finish my CCVP before I take on IE again, not to sure how that whole situation will play out.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Had a job at a Partner the initial offer was too low. I countered and they denied. I really wanted this job, but for the work I put in I couldn't take a pay cut. No studying for the rest of the week. Taking time off to gather what direction I want to go in
    Currently Reading

• Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Completed console server installation this morning. Its up and working great. Had a bunch of console cables from site installations, cut off the back and put RJ45's on them. Now All i need is some sort of remote power cycling device and I can start labbing away from home. All the gear is kinda loud in my apartment. I will post pics on my blog soon

vid below

Urban Cisco Engineer: Where have I been???

If you are still looking for a remote power device, check this one out:

amazon

highly recommended!
  • Options
    New week new start.

Possible job interviews coming up with a pretty large WAN 800+ sites and a another large service provider wan. I will be hitting BGP/MPLS very heavy this week. I have already looked at the ISCW training materials I already had on BGP and will take a look at CCNP level BGP Training this week. Its a part of the written so I'm still on track I will just be digging a little deeper into the topics as I prep for the interviews.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Possible job offer coming for a large Campus Area Network. They run BGP/MPLS on the network so it looks like it will be some good technology to implement as they aren't finished building it out yet. All the brushing up over the weekend paid off as this interview came out of nowhere.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Job Offer fell though. Still chugging along. A internal Recruiter contacted me about a internal Job. There is another contract with a 1000+ node WAN that has a opening. Interview tomorrow. I will just be reviewing what I already have on my resume and making sure I can pass a CCNP level interview.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Did the interview today. Not really that much interested. I'm actually at the point of burn out. I don't think CCIE R&S is for me. My passion is VOIP. I may have to take a step down for a lower paying VOIP position. Will take some time to think about things.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Did the interview today. Not really that much interested. I'm actually at the point of burn out. I don't think CCIE R&S is for me. My passion is VOIP. I may have to take a step down for a lower paying VOIP position. Will take some time to think about things.

Come to the dark side...
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I may have to take a step down for a lower paying VOIP position.
    We pay our experienced CCVPs more than we'd pay a noob CCIE R&S.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    We pay our experienced CCVPs more than we'd pay a noob CCIE R&S.

Interesting. Obviously when you say noob CCIE you mean CCIE's that haven't had much work experience at the CCIE level right? Like if you had a CCIE who had been doing mostly CCNP level work, you would pay them less than a person who was a CCVP but had more work experience doing CCVP level work than the CCNP (lets say 2-3 more years of experience)?

To Shodown:

So does this mean that you will updating the lab some more? Maybe you first move will be to get the books out of the kitchen lol :)
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting. Obviously when you say noob CCIE you mean CCIE's that haven't had much work experience at the CCIE level right? Like if you had a CCIE who had been doing mostly CCNP level work, you would pay them less than a person who was a CCVP but had more work experience doing CCVP level work than the CCNP (lets say 2-3 more years of experience)?

Wait- that was obvious!?

I think(hope) what he means is high end CCVP level work is worth more than a high end CCNP or low end CCIE R&S.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Obviously when you say noob CCIE ...
    Correct.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Wait- that was obvious!?

I think(hope) what he means is high end CCVP level work is worth more than a high end CCNP or low end CCIE R&S.

I kind of thought so. I just find that very interesting because I guess what I didn't think about was that your experience level sort of resets as your cert level increases. Having spent alot of time doing monitor type work doesn't count as CCNP level work (depending on where you work and what exactly you do). So you aren't really at CCNP level until you have the work experience and the cert.The same thing goes when you go from CCNP to CCIE That's why I haven't (and will not) go for the CCNP (yet) because it wouldn't really benefit me. If anything all it would do is give people a false sense of my experience level and I could end up in a bad spot lol.
  • Options
    My work experience with Voip is that I worked as a Support Engineer at a Partner supporting 30-35 call manager installations around the globe. Some where just 2 server setup. Others were Multicluster ICM environments. I did that for a little over a year. Then at my current job I did a call manger installation for 2 around 2500 users with unified messaging. Every job interview that I did for voip I have passed, but the offers have been less than I get now. When I have went for regular network Engineer positions I get what i feel my market value is. Im not even suppose to be on this site now, I said I was taking some time off.:D
    Currently Reading

• Options
    My work experience with Voip is that I worked as a Support Engineer at a Partner supporting 30-35 call manager installations around the globe. Some where just 2 server setup. Others were Multicluster ICM environments. I did that for a little over a year. Then at my current job I did a call manger installation for 2 around 2500 users with unified messaging. Every job interview that I did for voip I have passed, but the offers have been less than I get now. When I have went for regular network Engineer positions I get what i feel my market value is. Im not even suppose to be on this site now, I said I was taking some time off.:D

Ouch! :) I know the feeling. But at any rate, If you have the chops and the desire and you can afford it, take a slight paycut. Don't mentioned that to the hiring folks of course, but I would do it.
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Im not even suppose to be on this site now, I said I was taking some time off.:D

I got burnt out a couple of week ago too man. Take a week or so off, away from the books and just do whatever. After about a week a had a desire to jump back in...
  • Options
    New Job!!!!

The Senior UC engineer job that I was offered a few weeks ago has come back around. I guess my thoughts were answered as I said I would take a pay cut for a new job. It wasn't as low as I expected either. I have to decide if I"m going to continue down the R&S track or if I'm going to go after the VOICE. We will see as the days continue.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    New Job!!!!

The Senior UC engineer job that I was offered a few weeks ago has come back around. I guess my thoughts were answered as I said I would take a pay cut for a new job. It wasn't as low as I expected either. I have to decide if I"m going to continue down the R&S track or if I'm going to go after the VOICE. We will see as the days continue.

If you are changing jobs my advice is to disconnect completely for at least two months from any studies on works time or personal time. You need to be 100% focussed on learning and bedding into the new position. Accomplish that first then pick up on the studies in March/April 2011.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    If you are changing jobs my advice is to disconnect completely for at least two months from any studies on works time or personal time. You need to be 100% focussed on learning and bedding into the new position. Accomplish that first then pick up on the studies in March/April 2011.

Good luck.

Would you give that advice to someone moving into any level of job or just more senior roles?
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Would you give that advice to someone moving into any level of job or just more senior roles?

imo I'd apply it to any level. Reason being it tends to take 2-3 months to get a grip on most roles in a new company.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    imo I'd apply it to any level. Reason being it tends to take 2-3 months to get a grip on most roles in a new company.

That's correct. It's a vital time and by 6 months most impressions that will be important to you will have been made. Certs are one vehicle to a better job but once you start a new one concentrate on the work for a while.
  • Options
    That's correct. It's a vital time and by 6 months most impressions that will be important to you will have been made. Certs are one vehicle to a better job but once you start a new one concentrate on the work for a while.

I wish this would work out for me, but I have a contracted time to obtain my VP by. It looks as if that time is right in with there renewal for there partner status.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    I wish this would work out for me, but I have a contracted time to obtain my VP by. It looks as if that time is right in with there renewal for there partner status.

In that case park the CCIE studies until next year and crank out the CCVP. From the sounds of things passing that will assure you of a job there for sometime. They may cut you some slack to study for R&S on works time once you tick the CCVP box for them.
  • Options
    I just got the CCbootcamp CCIE Voice written study guide in the mail. Its 500+ pages, I will read it over the next few months and give feedback on what I think.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    I just got the CCbootcamp CCIE Voice written study guide in the mail. Its 500+ pages, I will read it over the next few months and give feedback on what I think.

That's fine but dont let it distract you from real work. Knuckle down on that new job.
  • Options
    Thanks

I think I'm in a good groove at where I'm at according to my 90 day review. Still trying to push forward and get good base knowledge for the written. I hope to make a strong attempt at it by summer
    Currently Reading

• Options
    Thanks

I think I'm in a good groove at where I'm at according to my 90 day review. Still trying to push forward and get good base knowledge for the written. I hope to make a strong attempt at it by summer

There is no rush. Pace yourself. Job first. That's what pays the bills not your career plans.