Options

Newbie here..intro & some needed advice.

arejayarejay Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I’ll let it serve as both an introduction, and my first question(s).

I’ve been here “lurking” for quite some time and have to say that this forum/site is definitely one of the best, if not THE best. The group of people here are extremely helpful and don’t seem to be solely interested in flaunting their own personal knowledge, but rather are using what they know to help others…to me that is a rarity in the IT field.

That said, I’ll give a brief overview of what I’ve done and what I would like to accomplish in hopes that I can obtain some guidance and help from some of the veterans here.

I’ve been in the “industry” for a little over 10 years. Got my MCSE (4.0) back in ’99 and took the ’00 upgrade exam a year later. I’ve always worked in a network environment in some capacity and just recently moved into the Cisco VIOP field. One of the requirements for promotion is to get my CCNA. Not being a stranger to certification exams I have learned that it is best to link up with fellow exam takers and share knowledge.

My goal here is to find out what the best methods of study are and what has worked for most, and pursue that avenue. I cant tell you how many different opinions I have run across regarding which book to read, which sim to use, etc. etc…. So after coming across this forum, I feel the group of people here would be best to advise.

So, if you don’t mind, like I’ve said, I’m looking for study materials; sims, books, etc. that will get me though. Also, given the fact that I have worked in the field (sys admin, Cisco Telco tech, help desk supervisor, etc.) how obtainable do you all think this exam is? I know that is a very broad question and has more than 1,000 variables, so I guess I’m more so looking for an idea of how involved and intense the exam actually is.

If you’ve read this far, thank you very much. I can only promise that I will return the favor in any way possible as I take on this exam. And any advice and guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!! -Ryan

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There are a bunch of options for Cisco Study depending on your goals -- but if you plan to earn your CCNA and set a good foundation for working in the Cisco networking field then you need to read the Odom books and spend lots of time doing lab work.

The two books we'll usually recommend are the Odom Certification Library AND Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition)

While the Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802), 3rd Edition is probably more than enough to read to pass the exam, Todd Lammle's CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802, 6th Edition is great for noobs to learn subnetting and has lots of exercises to perform in your lab (or sim).

We'll usually suggest both books for someone new to Cisco (and definitely when they are new to IT). Someone already experienced in IT with hands on Cisco Experience may opt to try Todd's book first (and alone). Todd's book is a "fun read" compared to Wendell's books and since it just hits the highlights, it may be a good introduction for a noob before they move on to Wendell's book -- or a good review for someone experienced with Cisco who's feeling lucky.

Someone who just "needs the CCNA" but may not be working with Cisco as their primary job role may opt to keep it easy and fast. Then something like Todd's book and the CBT Nuggets (and their work experience) may be enough to earn the CCNA -- but it may not be enough if they later decide to move on the the CCNP. In that case, they'd have to do some make-up studies to be fully prepared for their CCNP studies.

There are videos available for CCNA study from CBT Nuggets and/or TrainSignal. If you're a "video learner" then they are a good option -- but they are an additional resource and do not replace reading the Odom books (unless you've been working for a Cisco Business Partner and already have a hugh amount of varied Cisco hands on experience).

For the CCNA the Boson Lab Simulator is enough to get past the CCNA -- but you may run into software bugs when to try things that aren't in the included labs -- like trying to do Todd's book exercises. If you already have hands on Cisco experience and/or access to a Work Lab then it would be fine.

Dynamips is an emulator that will run Cisco IOS images and emulate some old models of Cisco Routers. There is an issue with the software licensing since you'd need a real IOS image (which are not legally available for free). If you have access to one of the supported IOS images, then you'd actually get either Dynagen -- the character based front end to Dynamips -- or GNS3 which is the Graphical front end to the Dynagen/Dynamips combo and comes with everything you need in one install package (except for an IOS image). Dynamips only has a limited simulated Ethernet switch. There is a simulated switch module that can be installed in an emulated router that gives you good switching functionality -- but not all the correct commands you'd need to learn switching for the CCNA.

A hardware lab is preferable for learning -- but not everyone has the $200-$300 to spend or the time to do the research (which is a big mistake since you LEARN A LOT doing that) before shopping on eBay. You have to ask yourself -- would you trust the family minivan to a noob mechanic who practiced fixing car brakes on a computer simulation and has never touched a real car yet in his short career as a mechanic?

Chris Bryant has a CCNA Ultimate Study Guide that lots of people have turned to after failing they first try or two at the CCNA -- and if you don't mind spending the money or the time reading it, it's a great additional resource. I think he also offers a package that would include remote CCNA hardware rack time/lab access -- and he may also just rent CCNA rack time.

The odds of passing and earning your CCNA are directly related to your motivation and dedication and time and effort put into the reading and lab practice.

Welcome to the TE Forums!! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Mike, I got a question about that Odom's Certification Library. Did he go much deeper in that book? or is it similar to his ICND1 and 2 Official Exam Certification Guide?

EDIT: Never mind. They are the same. I got confused because it says 3rd edition.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Wow Mike, you may as well close this thread now. That pretty much says it all. icon_cheers.gif