Options

IF any one has time to review :)

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Yet another request for a review of a resume.

I really struggle with my written work, especially when trying to sell my self. So would be very great full if any one could have a look over this and point out any glaring errors.

thank you

aaron
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have seen a few resume threads over the past couple of weeks, take the time to go through them as they all contain good advice.

I'll be honest and in-your-face about your resume. I wouldnt call you for an interview based on this resume.

1. Take the logos off. Too tacky.
    2. Take the word "I" off from the entire resume.
    3. Absolutely take off the Skills and other IT Skills section.
    4. Work experience MUST be in bullet points. Your writing a resume, not a freaking essay mate. I dont need to know how you got a role either, tell me that during the interview.
    5. It's better to just say "Projects Undertaken (or completed)" instead of Some of the Projects I have carried out in addition to the total redesign of the main campus network.
    6. Absolutely move the Certs and Degree bits to the top pf the resume (i.e. after the objective).
    7. That Interests section is absurd to put in a resume, I dont want to know how many dogs you got or whether you went around the world on a bike in 60 days or something. I dont need to know if you read fiction, or just filthy pr0n stories.
    8. No certs in progress should be included.
    9. Keep the tenses the same throughout the resume.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Write the objective in the third person. The objective is good otherwise and sells you quite well.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    I have seen a few resume threads over the past couple of weeks, take the time to go through them as they all contain good advice.

I'll be honest and in-your-face about your resume. I wouldnt call you for an interview based on this resume.

1. Take the logos off. Too tacky.
    8. No certs in progress should be included.

I don't agree with these two. I think the logos are ok, especially after seeing Paul's resume. I am actually considering adding them to my resume. Also the certs in progress should only be included if you have passed part of the test. I don't think that putting CCNP as in progress would be bad if you had the switch or route exam done, just make sure you explain that.

I do agree with the other things pointed out. I know a CV is a little different than a resume here in the states but take interest out. I think it is very wordy and has a little to much fat. The formatting is kinda hard to read as well. The use of underlines is particularly odd.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Essendon wrote: »
    4. Work experience MUST be in bullet points. Your writing a resume, not a freaking essay mate. I dont need to know how you got a role either, tell me that during the interview.
    I agree. Instead of writing a paragraph on work experience, keep it short, relevant, and quantifiable in bullet points. You can probably remove the skills section entirely and instead include them in your work experience section.
    6. Absolutely move the Certs and Degree bits to the top pf the resume (i.e. after the objective).
    I have a different style and prefer to list work experience first as it immediately sets me apart from others who went to the same school as me or who have the same certs (as all of mine are entry-level). But, to each his own.
    9. Keep the tenses the same throughout the resume.
    Also do not use more than two font sizes and limit what text you underline or make bold. And above all else, proofread your work. There were several misspelled words that would definitely mark your resume for the trash bin.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    You need to format your resume with consistent font size.

Don't use huge paragraphs. A recruiter has hundreds or thousands of resumes to go through. They won't have time to spend more than 2 minutes on each one. They skim through it quick. Use bulleted points.
  • Options
    Points taken and understood :)

Cheers for the pointers guys. I think I got enough there to go away and tidy this up.. ;)

cheers again
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Hi,

does any one have a few pointers to tidy up this revised work experience please?

Looking after the network, and all network devices related devices in the company. (100% Cisco, including the 2900, 3500, 3700, 4500 and 1800 series switches and routers, across a multi building site with 1500+ end users)

Since taking over the network management 4 years ago, carried out site wide projects implementing among other technologies, VLAN’s, RSTP, QinQ, dot1x, ACS, HSRP/GLBP, Ether-channels, Wireless, port security, SNMP, EIGRP, OSPF, IPS, IOS Firewalls, VPN’s, 802.1q, VTP, SSH, TACACS+, Radius, SDM, and Fibre optics.

Responsible for sourcing all the new and upgrades required to the company network.

Insure the network if fully monitored and backed up, using SNMP and Syslog services for monitoring and alerting on the devices. Along with traffic monitoring software to track layer 2 through 7 for historical reports, and use during trouble shooting.

Al this of course is fully documented well above the high standards required from working with in the government sector. (Our department currently holds ISO 9001:2008 accreditation).

Aside from the main position of looking after the CISCO network, managed a lot of the support services, such as DHCP, DNS, UPS’s, AD settings, Linux servers and the site backup solution.

Cheers
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I noticed that there were two spelling mistakes. Experience and August.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    What, exactly, are you trying to say in the third entry as it needs rewording.
    Responsible for sourcing all the new and upgrades required to the company network
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    What, exactly, are you trying to say in the third entry as it needs rewording.

That any new building on site that requires a network, (we do lots of building) any equipment thats end of life and needs replacing, or any equipment that needs updating to meet business needs. IT's my job to make sure its the correct solution and delivered on time.
  • Options
    I noticed that there were two spelling mistakes. Experience and August.

:) cheers, defiantly have to give it a good proof read later, Wife is always good for that one :)

Would people suggest adding personal web address (networking blog) in the contact details of a CV or not?
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    :) cheers, defiantly have to give it a good proof read later, Wife is always good for that one :)

Would people suggest adding personal web address (networking blog) in the contact details of a CV or not?

That depends... if you created a website, then yes.

Don't put your facebook or twitter accounts on there. That would be mega trashy.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

Don't put your facebook or twitter accounts on there. That would be mega trashy.

I know a guy who puts his blog on his business card (but it is very popular and very professional). If you put facebook/twitter on there (which you shouldn't) you need to be very careful about what you put on your profile, especially if you don't have you stuff restricted.
  • Options

No no no :) what is this twitter thing you talk of??? ;)

no its a CISCO / Linux related Blog built designed and hosted by me. And one day I hope it will be very popular.
  • Options
    how do people think this looks now (compared to my earlier effort) ?

be harsh ;)
  • Options
    Looks a lot better. Mainly a few grammatical errors and I'm sure some people may find others.
    to them presented
    should be to present them
    Insure the network if fully
    should be is

Try to find a way to not do a page break in the middle of an experience section.
    misspelled variety, its self should be itself, in to should be into
    Should spell out CCNA, CCNP
    Don't have that little bit on third page. Find a way to get it to 2 pages or leave off the interests section.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, looks way better than before. Hope you have all the experience lines in bullet points on your actual resume. Also, IMO, the Trebuchet MS font looks the most readable. Verdana is also good. If I were you, I'd put the certs/education bit before the experience. Apart from all this, this edition is better than the previous one.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks so much for all the help guys :) I have to agree it looks a lot better :)

Now back to studying, I think I got a CCNP Switch exam tomorrow!!! (make that later today now!!!)