Options

Going in for interviews for helpdesk this week

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I have two interviews this week at two different companies for helpdesk positions. These are call center type positions for internal 1st level support. Ive worked desktop support and only covered the help desk guy when he was on lunch a few times. Are there any typical and/or common interview questions to be ready for?

Comments

• Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    It will probably be a mix of technical / customer service questions, such as how do you handle an irate end-user.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    make sure you focus on your customer service skills and your tech skill secondary and if they ask you a question about what you think about showing up on time for work, lunchs and breaks...run for the hills.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depends on the companies, but helpdesk could be interchangeable for desktop support. some companies have different levels. but if its true helpdesk, then its mainly logging issues, and walking them thru basic steps, or password resets, or acct config/unlock, etc., and its basically all over the phone & remotely, no hands on. if you've done desktop support, the problem solving of helpdesk is a cake walk, its just dealing with users thats the difference, and thats more so dealing with soft skills.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    I always do good with the technical questions. The thing about the customer service questions that gets me is that I haven't done any jobs involving customer service in a while and can't remember my examples to prove I was good with customer service. I can always cite how many years I've worked it haha but I can't remember any proof I can give to the interviewer.

As for the job it's a typical call center helpdesk. I'm just hoping to get into one of the companies and work my way up since no one interviewing me for desktop support positions cares about my previous desktop support experience because it was only a 9 month contract.
  • Options
    Going in for interview at 2pm today. Just got home from work half an hour ago (6:30am). Little nap and then interview! Wish me luck!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Countryboi wrote: »
    make sure you focus on your customer service skills and your tech skill secondary and if they ask you a question about what you think about showing up on time for work, lunchs and breaks...run for the hills.
    Yeah I've had this type of questionning before and it usually doesn't go good no matter what you say. I had one interview where they started down that road and then asked me how I'd deal with a coworker who was always late and stuff. I didn't necessarilly want to say it at the time but that's their responsibility to deal with that.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.