Options

SWITCH official cert guide practice exam

spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
Who here has the SWITCH official cert guide? I bought the foundations book which I believe did a pretty good job explaining everything. I bought the Odom books for CCNA and his practice exams were awesome. Is the practice exam in the SWITCH cert guide worth a damn? It's basically the only reason i'd buy the book.

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are a couple of posts around the forums about the Official Cert Guide not being that great of a resource. There's a lot of errata for the book on ciscopress.com. HTH

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The book did a decent job of explaining what it wanted to explain, with a few spelling errors along the way. Overall it was a good read, and I have used it as a resource for a few things already.

Most of the people who get aggravated on it I have seen have already taken the exam, and seem to claim that the book leaves out or does not go into enough detail on some obvious changes cisco wants from their CCNP candidates. While the SWITCH book does seem to cover all the grounds, it is arguable that it could have done it better. I agree though, it could have been better.

About the practice exams, unless you are in a time crunch I don't see why you wouldn't want to read the guide as well as take the exams. Think of how well you would have all the subjects after you read both books. The questions seem to be of similar quality to the associate level exams I had run into. Personally if I knew the topic I got all the questions right, if I didn't know the topic I didn't get all the questions right. So to me it tested what the book taught pretty well, but like I said that could not be enough.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    Another question:

for those who have alraedy taken the SWITCH exam and ahve the quick reference guide, does this do a pretty good job of covering all the topics(without violating NDA)? I'm just trying to finish up here and hit some weak areas I know I have.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did you read the Foundation Guide?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I thought the quick reference guide was handy for short (eg 15-20 minute) study sessions, and was good for a quick review before the exam - I didn't really learn anything new from g though. It essentially just gives u the cliffnotes of the official exam cert guide (well the SWITCH one did anyway)
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I think the SWiTCH Official certigication Guide is great explaining the concepts. I have not taken the exam and cannot comment about exam coverage but if you want to learn the concepts I think the book is top notch.

I would definitely recommend it.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.