Another resume thread

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I'm trying to break into IT; I have the CCNA and once the books arrive, I'll be studying for MCITP:SA. There's really not much for me to put on a resume, and I've never been good at writing one of these, but here's what I came up with.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    I'm always a big fan of keeping it simple, but you need to beef this up just a little. I understand you don't have a lot of experience, but you could go into a little more detail when describing your skills. Maybe describe what switches / routers you've worked on and what you've done with them, describe what flavors of Linux you have experience with, and try to come up with a few more computer skills if possible. My last suggestion don't assume everyone knows what "7" means even though that is Windows 7.

Good luck!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you've been the "goto guy" for family and friends add as experience Independent PC consulatant and put some of the things you're experienced with in there. Try to fill in some of the white space by expanding some of your explanations.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say spice that resume up a little bit. Put the expierence you do have with working for friends and family and put the expierence you have learn from labbing. It is all expierence.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First off: Thanks for your suggestions. I find it hard to embellish as I'm sure you could see! :)

OK, I've tried adding the suggestions you've posted, about maintaining my home/lab network, and being the 'goto' guy for friends/family.

I'm not sure I like the wording of everything, but I wasn't sure how else to word it. I'd originally added that the network uses RIP and OSPF routing protocols, but that seemed wordy; plus I was wondering if I should mention STP for the switches? Where do you stop? lol. Anyways, I'm not sure if I removed much 'white space', since I tried to group the experience more (OS's are all on 1 line now, etc).

I've edited the original post to have the updated resume attached.

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The summary is way too broad and could probably just be gone.
    Change experience to skills and try to expand more on your skills. I see you don't have the A+ but you could download those objectives from the Comptia website
    CompTIA A+ and see what of these you are comfortable with to see what else you can put.
    Have you worked on printers? If yes than you have performed preventative maintenance on peripheral equipment. Even if it was just cleaning them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't done much of anything with printers, although looking through the A+ things, some of the printer-ific things listed could apply to copy machines I used to work on about 15 years ago (replacing a drum!). That's probably too much of a stretch.

Other than that, I didn't really see anything much new - lots of network things (tcp/ip, etc), or pc/troubleshooting things (regedit, chkdsk) but I'd think that'd be assumed by what I've already listed.

OK, 2 things I thought up:
    1) should I put anything regarding virtualization? It seems to be the 'hot thing' right now, and I was setting up a new 2k8 installation in a virtualbox while reading this (part of my MCITP study). Also, should the minimal practice I've gotten with AD from this be listed at all?

2) I've ran a server box for years as part of my home network. It's pretty much always been a webserver, dns and mailserver (pop3, smtp), although I haven't used the DNS server to set up any ... I forget what they're called now; basically it just acted like a relay.