Options

LinuxRacr is now Security + Certified!!

LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed about 40 minutes ago with a score of 800. The wording was interesting for the questions. My advice to anyone taking the test: Get Darril Gibson's book, "CompTIA Security +: Get Certified, Get Ahead," and read it twice. I feel that if I had read it all the way through twice, I would have scored a little higher. Again, As Darril's book was my only resource for preparing for the test, it should speak volumes about the book. I'd like to send a personal shout out to Darril from me. Thanks for writing such a kick-ass book.
My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    Passed about 40 minutes ago with a score of 800. The wording was interesting for the questions. My advice to anyone taking the test: Get Darril Gibson's book, "CompTIA Security +: Get Certified, Get Ahead," and read it twice. I feel that if I had read it all the way through twice, I would have scored a little higher. Again, As Darril's book was my only resource for preparing for the test, it should speak volumes about the book. I'd like to send a personal shout out to Darril from me. Thanks for writing such a kick-ass book.

WOW!!!! CONGRATS, MAN!!!!!! I definitely overprepared for this exam! 800 with just reading Get Certified, Get Ahead once is a kick-butt score!! I did read it once, but I had other materials to supplement....but in the end, I really only needed Darril Gibson's book.

I think it's official....if you want to pass Security+, CompTIA Security +: Get Certified, Get Ahead is REALLY the ONLY thing you need. You really don't become a believer until you read this book (and understand what the chapters are about, of course) and pass the exam.

CONGRATS once again, I knew you could do it!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on getting your Sec+!
    I knew it would be no problem for you if you were using Darrils book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!

Is the CISSP up next? ;)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definately read the book. You don't need to read it twice, but you will probably want to review the sections that you are weak on. Cryptography is probably one of those sections.

Congratulations!
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I reviewed every chapter, and practice questions, and went over my weak areas. I only read it once myself though, but if I had to do it all over, I may have read the book twice...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well done icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PanderPander Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good job man congrats!

I like hearing that Darril's book works well as my copy is on it's way within the next few days.

Congratulations!
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Congrats on the pass! Looking forward to my exam on Saturday morning!
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass man! GL to those about to take it in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    LinuxRacr wrote: »

WOW! That is really saying something about Darril's book! I am going to get it this friday so I can get started on it. I just found out that my company is going to pay for my Security + too and I plan on taking the test at the end of October.

But congrats on the great score Linux!
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats. I am planning on it in a few weeks using Darill's book and the CBT Nuggets videos.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Congratulations on the pass.

CISSP next, oooh, fancy. I guess you'll be sitting at the "Cool Kids" table.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    ssampier wrote: »
    Congratulations on the pass.

CISSP next, oooh, fancy. I guess you'll be sitting at the "Cool Kids" table.

A buddy of mine who is a CISSP got his Security+, and then got his CISSP directly after. He told me that the Sec+ exam covers quite a bit of the domains of the CISSP, and that he only had to do a skim review of about 5 of the domains. The rest, he studied hard for, and then he took the exam and passed.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    That is interesting about CISSP. Best of luck to you on that exam. In an ideal world I want to work with IDP/firewalls more before I think about CISSP, but maybe you'll change my mind.

How about a CISSP trek thread (in the CISSP forum, of course)?
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Congrats on the pass!
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I think it's official....if you want to pass Security+, CompTIA Security +: Get Certified, Get Ahead is REALLY the ONLY thing you need. You really don't become a believer until you read this book (and understand what the chapters are about, of course) and pass the exam.

I completely agree. I passed today as well with an 868, and that was pretty much my only resource. I took the practice exams here and the one on the CompTIA site, but Darril's book was my only text. It's a great read and covers everything you need.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.