Options

Google Turbo Boost!

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
Apparently Google searches are instantaneous now?

Google Instant Searches the Web As You Type - PCWorld

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    They are taking over the world. Next thing you know, I'll be forced to shop at 'GoogleMart', drive around in 'Googlecars', be forced to rename my dogs to 'Googlemut' and drink 'Googlebeer'

You heard it here first ;) hehe
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This isn't google alone. Yahoo, Amazon, and Newegg use the same thing. And that is just off the top of my head. What they do is send you possible answers. Someone typing footbal is likely going to type football and so google will suggest football or football jersey.

It still takes time to actually search the webpage, they are just helping you with auto-complete.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mmmmmm googlebeer
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey that extra time saved will allow me to browse TE that much more!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This isn't google alone. Yahoo, Amazon, and Newegg use the same thing. And that is just off the top of my head. What they do is send you possible answers. Someone typing footbal is likely going to type football and so google will suggest football or football jersey.

It still takes time to actually search the webpage, they are just helping you with auto-complete.
    What Devilsbane said. It is just doing search suggestions whilst you type. The search boxes on the various browsers do the same thing. They're just making their main page do it now.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »
    What Devilsbane said. It is just doing search suggestions whilst you type. The search boxes on the various browsers do the same thing. They're just making their main page do it now.

I saw that demo'd a couple of weeks ago. That seems like it would thrash their server's something awful.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I saw that demo'd a couple of weeks ago. That seems like it would thrash their server's something awful.
    Honest! Those sites that are coming up are just Google suggestions! I've never searched for those terms before!

Yeah. I would expect this to significantly increase the load on their servers. The search boxes in the browsers do it already but the majority of their traffic is going to be on their main search page.

This is Google however who have many mysterious datacenters and connections with custom designed and built hardware so maybe they've finally reached the point where they've got enough processing power to handle this immense load.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405

No, this isn't just auto complete suggestions....

If you want the demo it actually shows the results for the search as you type. Updating the results along the way. I think it is awesome and will be useful.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    No, this isn't just auto complete suggestions....
    True.
    If you want the demo it actually shows the results for the search as you type. Updating the results along the way. I think it is awesome and will be useful.
    Most of the time you're just going to get a load of useless searches as you're typing though. If the root of your word is something potentially offensive then thats even worse! :D
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

That was my first thought...
  • Options
    True.

Most of the time you're just going to get a load of useless searches as you're typing though. If the root of your word is something potentially offensive then thats even worse! :D

When I am researching an error message or doing research on something I find that just adding a word or changing one of the words in the search can bring up quite different and sometimes more helpful results. I think this technology will make that process easier.

Bottom line is it's quite different then what is being described in this thread and "new" as far as what I've seen on other search engines.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Short of full page content changes, Google has been doing this in their various browser search bars for well over a year or two. Predictive searching is pretty awesome. I can only imagine what google's servers are working like now.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

This is going to be pretty awesome for employees who have their web browsing activities closely monitored icon_lol.gif

Sorry boss, I was searching for Japanese assassinations.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mmmmmm googlebeer

It will be free to drink, but it will report back your eating habits in addition to a variety of other non personally identifiable criteria to Google ;)
  • Options
    It will be free to drink, but it will report back your eating habits in addition to a variety of other non personally identifiable criteria to Google ;)
    Thats Google Gulp not Google Beer!
  • Options

Oh my god...
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I am researching an error message or doing research on something I find that just adding a word or changing one of the words in the search can bring up quite different and sometimes more helpful results. I think this technology will make that process easier.

Bottom line is it's quite different then what is being described in this thread and "new" as far as what I've seen on other search engines.

I think this is the exact point of this new approach.

yes if you are just searching for a single word its not really going to be much help, or make much difference.

but if you are the using longer search terms such a whole phrase the order of words (or changing an abrivation to the full version) can make big differences to the search results. being able to go back and change a word and see the changes in results with out having to click search each time will be a big help for some people.

I works in the science field and is shocks me the length of searches scientists will type in. So yes I can see this being a huge improvement for some people.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Short of full page content changes, Google has been doing this in their various browser search bars for well over a year or two. Predictive searching is pretty awesome. I can only imagine what google's servers are working like now.

This is again different thing, before google has just been suggesting what you might be looking for. Although it might have giving you a list of possible search terms you might be looking at. you query has not actual been sent to the search algorithms untill you pressed return or clicked search.

This new approach is not only suggesting search terms but is actual running the algorithms and returning the results as you type.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□

What will they think of next???

USGA approved meat......lolicon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

But, back to the topic. I think that its a good move, I was actually searching today and was wondering why it was auto-completing my sentencesicon_surprised.gif

@dynamik tell me about it, I didn't know it was a Google datacenter about 10 minutes away from me. Amazing what you learn talking to associatesicon_lol.gificon_profileright.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The browsers on these work computers are so outdated (IE5.5 I think) that google instant won't even run on them.. I'll have to try it at home when I get to a real machine, instead of these dinosaurs.
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    This is again different thing, before google has just been suggesting what you might be looking for. Although it might have giving you a list of possible search terms you might be looking at. you query has not actual been sent to the search algorithms untill you pressed return or clicked search.

This new approach is not only suggesting search terms but is actual running the algorithms and returning the results as you type.

Thank god... someone else is following along.

I was beginning to think I was going crazy when everyone keeps saying they've been doing this forever.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    This is going to be pretty awesome for employees who have their web browsing activities closely monitored icon_lol.gif

Looks like there is a blacklist on the more popular offensive words. Your example is still totally valid as an excuse though!
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    bertieb wrote: »
    They are taking over the world. Next thing you know, I'll be forced to shop at 'GoogleMart', drive around in 'Googlecars', be forced to rename my dogs to 'Googlemut' and drink 'Googlebeer'

You heard it here first ;) hehe

That's just silly. Google Shopping, GC1 by Google*, PupDroid, and Beer-Google**, respectively. The mail (post) will be renamed to GMail and delivered by Google though. All cards and letters will be scanned by a computer and delivered digitally. For an extra fee you can receive the actual item as well.

*GC1 = Google Car 1
    ** play on beer-goggles
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options

Not cool, I hadn't thought of that... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Not cool, I hadn't thought of that... icon_sad.gif
    For those "private" browsing sessions, you can always use Google SSL. You'll just have to make do with the little snippets.
  • Options
    For those "private" browsing sessions, you can always use Google SSL. You'll just have to make do with the little snippets.

True, but if they decide to provide a private certificate for their company's internet browsing than it's over with.
  • Options
    The next level of Google Instant is here and its Instant Previews. It appears to be a JPEG of their cache?
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The next level of Google Instant is here and its Instant Previews. It appears to be a JPEG of their cache?

I noticed this too. I think its a decent add-on but I think there were firefox plugins that did this already lol.