Options

Security+ Question

PanderPander Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone!

I have my A+ and Network+ and currently work in IT, but I don't really have any experience with Security.

I have Darril's book on order, but I was wondering what everyone recommends in addition to his book, if anything? Or better yet, what did you use to study?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CBT Nuggets was a pretty good addition for this one. I used Darill's book as well and felt a little overprepared (not to underestimate this test; its a trixster). The Sybex book I heard was helpful as well (the flashcards and CD questions are great). If you use wiki for some of the topics like the virus types then Darill's alone should be good enough but its all dependent on how confident you feel after reading it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like Transcender. A good practice exam really drives the material home for me.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I personally used the Sybex book and Labsim. Labsim is really a great resource for this and includes practice test questions.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Sorry to bump this one. Is it okay to use the old cbt nuggets for this exam? I havent seen the cbt nuggets for the 2009 objectives out there yet.
  • Options
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback.
    I will read Darril's book first, then depending on my confidence level, I will look into the ideas you have all listed above. I will keep them in my back pocket.
    Thanks everyone, appreciate your help.
    *taps foot patiently waiting for Darril's book to arrive*
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pander wrote: »
    Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback.
    I will read Darril's book first, then depending on my confidence level, I will look into the ideas you have all listed above. I will keep them in my back pocket.
    Thanks everyone, appreciate your help.
    *taps foot patiently waiting for Darril's book to arrive*

You can read the various posts (including my own thread on my Sec+ pass) on what I used, but between the Get Certified Get Ahead, Transcenders and MeasureUp, I was definitely overprepared. But I will qualify this by saying I'd rather be overprepared then fail. LMAO.

As rouge2shadow stated, I didn't want to underestimate this exam. I learned that mistake 9 years ago when I failed Net+ with the 99 objectives. 50 minutes in, and I was allll right. :D
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used only Darill's book, and passed the exam yesterday. It was a personal experience to see if I could pass with the book alone. After reading the book once, I went back over the pre-assessment test at the beginning of the book, and all of the end-of-chapter practice questions again, then took the practice exam at the back of the book for the first time. Before taking each test, I reviewed the End of chapter bullet points. Chapter 4 gave me my lowest score for the practice exams (78%). Any questions I missed, I went back over the material, and read the gray boxed summaries within the chapters. I studied for about 3.5 weeks, and then took the exam while the information was fresh on my mind.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I used only Darill's book, and passed the exam yesterday. It was a personal experience to see if I could pass with the book alone. After reading the book once, I went back over the pre-assessment test at the beginning of the book, and all of the end-of-chapter practice questions again, then took the practice exam at the back of the book for the first time. Before taking each test, I reviewed the End of chapter bullet points. Chapter 4 gave me my lowest score for the practice exams (78%). Any questions I missed, I went back over the material, and read the gray boxed summaries within the chapters. I studied for about 3.5 weeks, and then took the exam while the information was fresh on my mind.

When I checked yesterday, there were thirty-four 5-star ratings for this book on Amazon. Seriously, I thought it was all full of crap! But they all were verified as buying the book from Amazon and after reading it myself...I definitely understand....

Seriously, this is the book to buy if you want to pass! Hands down.
  • Options
    By the sound of it, ordering Darril's book was a good idea, thanks guys.

'newmove' brings up a good question though, if one were to use CBT Nuggets to study for the exam, is it okay to use the 2008 one? It seems to be the only one available. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Pander wrote: »
    By the sound of it, ordering Darril's book was a good idea, thanks guys.

'newmove' brings up a good question though, if one were to use CBT Nuggets to study for the exam, is it okay to use the 2008 one? It seems to be the only one available. Or am I missing something?

LOL..no question! I ordered the book this afternoon. Can't wait to dive into it. I am taking the test at the end of October.