Options

New guy here *lab checkup*

What up everybody. I found this forum while looking for info to build my CCENT/CCNA lab. I have been studying for my CCENT for a couple months and started my own lab but I ended up moving and all my equipment has been boxed up. I'm dying just reading and watching CBT vids....lol...I need my lab back.

Anyways, I currently have

Routers
3640 w/ FE and 4 slow serial ports (Frame switch whattttt)
3662 with 6 NM slots and 2FE ports (for future expansion)

Switches
1900 (too old, probably should have scratched these and the 2900's and just went for a few 2950s, live and learn)
2900XL
2900XL
2900XL

I started getting into Cisco based LAN/WAN about 8-9 years ago but then I stopped doing it and pursued programming. I burned out like crazy after 5 years of PHP coding. It hit me a couple months ago that I love networking and I was thinking to myself "WHY DID I STOP" so I picked up the Cisco official ICND1/2 books, CBT Nugget vids etc.. and bought a cheap little $100 CCNA lab on ebay to start. I love it.

Anyways If anyone has any cheap equipment suggestions that I could add, I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get a 2950 switch and your lab should be OK for CCNA

The 2900's are OK secondary switches, and of course the 1900's are good for boat anchors (you need at least 3 to have enough weight for an anchor)

:)
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're good on routers assuming they have enough memory to run a good enough IOS, but you're switches are a bit rough. The 1900's aren't really of any use since the commands aren't the same. The 2900's are good in cases where you want a 3rd or 4th switch, but I'd really suggest picking up a 2950 or two. In the mean time, while the 2900's are missing features, they will get you started.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    the 1900's are good for boat anchors (you need at least 3 to have enough weight for an anchor)

The 1900's can still be used if you're building an elaborate frame relay cloud. Though I can't imagine that you'd ever need more than one switch there. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The 1900's can still be used if you're building an elaborate frame relay cloud. Though I can't imagine that you'd ever need more than one switch there. icon_cool.gif

You know, you don't really need to run a 1900 to tunnel multiple FR routers - assuming you have enough ports, just use one of your good switches and put the FR's on their own vlan

Just trying to save you on the electric bill, buddy

• Options
    I know, I really do need to decommission the thing. But I've had it for years and for some reason I keep coming up with excuses to keep using it for something. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I got those 1900s for super cheap, less than 10 bucks a switch shipped.

I keep getting outbid on 2950's on ebay.

I just won 3 2620's I will use for Vlan routing. Less than $40 for all 3.

So I will make my next purchase a few 2950's. I see some lots of 2 or 3 2950's going for less than a hundred so I will just have to keep bidding :)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't forget a router that supports SDM.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I got those 1900s for super cheap, less than 10 bucks a switch shipped.

I keep getting outbid on 2950's on ebay.

I just won 3 2620's I will use for Vlan routing. Less than $40 for all 3.

So I will make my next purchase a few 2950's. I see some lots of 2 or 3 2950's going for less than a hundred so I will just have to keep bidding :)

That's the beauty of ebay if you don't have to have it right away. I was looking for a 2950 or two for myself, and found somebody selling off a stack of 3550's for $25 each because he thought they all had bad power supplies. I called BS on his diagnosis and bought one and it works just fine.

And as far as SDM, that 831 is listed as supporting it.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Just sell 4 of your switches on ebay and you should net enough to buy at least one 2950!
  • Options
    I just won a 2950 12 port for 18 bucks. Woo hoo. I have another auction for a 12 port going for the same price +/- shipping cost.

I canceled the order on 2 routers.

Here is my setup now.

Routers
    2514 2serial 2enet
    3810 2serial 1enet
    2611 2enet 1 csu/dsu
    2611 2enet 1 csu/dsu
    831 1fe 4enet
    2620 1fe
    2620 1fe
    2620 1fe

Switches
    2900XL
    2900XL
    2900XL
    2950 (auction ending in 1 hour)

I found some really good prices on NM-4T's so I canceled the 3600 series orders and I will use one of my 2600's as a frame switch. Buying 2 NM-4T's at $25 a pop is cheaper than buying a single 3640 with an included NM-4T. That way I can have a dedicated frame cloud and plug in my 2500/3800 and 2 26xx's.

I would really like a lab that will encompass 95% of the LAN/WAN configuration the CCNA will cover. Once I get proficient enough and to a level i'm acing all my practice exams I plan I turning all this equipment around back on ebay as a kit with all the cabling and upgrading to just a few 26xxXM's , a couple Layer 3 switches, and get into some newer IOS stuffs.

I have spent less than $350 on all this so far. I will need some more DCE/DTE cables though lol. It never ends.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent free/opensource network diagram software? I have tried quite a few and they are fail somewhat short of my expectations. Any help/feedback is awesome :)
  • Options
    No, it never does. Welcome to the addiction. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Okay I'd say you have damn near enough gear for a CCIE lab less ebay more study ;)

lol
  • Options
    i know i'm dying to play with the equipment. everything is on hold because i got married and moved into the wifes apartment. we are now moving to a 2 bedroom apt today and tomorrow. so i can finally unload all my boxes of gear lol
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I found some really good prices on NM-4T's so I canceled the 3600 series orders and I will use one of my 2600's as a frame switch.
    Did you verify that they are supported by your 2600's? Or find someone who's running one "unsupported" on a 2600?

I don't think the NM-4T is supported on the 2600 series except for the 2691 -- check the Module Cross Reference PDF (under the NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility section) on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page: Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    27zhobl.jpg

Its getting there. I have upgraded all the IOS to max the flash will allow, I still have three 2620's coming in at some point this week or next.

Dangit, you are right. Those NM-4T's are not supported by 2610-11-20-21 etc... Why are peeps are ebay selling it for them, thats just cruel lol.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Did you verify that they are supported by your 2600's? Or find someone who's running one "unsupported" on a 2600?

I don't think the NM-4T is supported on the 2600 series except for the 2691 -- check the Module Cross Reference PDF (under the NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility section) on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page: Portable Product Sheets - Partner Central

The picture is small but I think he has some 3640's there so he should be OK

At least I think so

• Options
    I keep running through configs and labs, right now i'm average dead on 80% for the Cisco Press/BOSON exams. I will keep at it until I average 95-100% then I'll go take it. I'm getting exciting, alot of stuff is starting to click.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    lookin' good. now add a 20U rack :). you should sell off those 1900s and 2900s and get a 3550 so you'll be ready for CCNP when you get to that point.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    mikej412 wrote: »

I have an NM-8A/S running on my 2650 for frame-relay switching... Mike is correct, the NM-4T is NOT supported by 2600/2600XMs. You should go with a NM-4A/S if you're going that route.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)