Options

Davenport University's MS IA Program

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
Whats there reputation like especially in the infosec community?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Whats there reputation like especially in the infosec community?

Don't know about the rest of the country, but they are well respected in Michigan.
  • Options
    Don't know about the rest of the country, but they are well respected in Michigan.

The price isnt to bad, about 6K a year in tuition
  • Options

I'm strongly considering their program from my MS. I honestly wish I had gone there for my BS when I lived in Michigan. Oh well, you can't turn back time icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Interesting program.

I see they put equal footing for security certifications:

Admissions Criteria
    Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline from an accredited institution
    Minimum 3.0 GPA on earned undergraduate degree
    A strong record of academic achievement, as indicated by official transcripts and proof of proficiency on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or one of the following Security certifications: Security +, CISSP, GSE, CCSP, SSCP, CIW, or RSA.
    Minimum passing score on a specific Security certification achieved within the last two years

Those without a bachelor's degree in technology and who do not provide proof of proficiency on the GRE or GMAT, or specified Security certification, must pass prerequisite courses with at least a B (3.0):
    Computing
    CISP420 Distributed Architectures
    Security
    IAAS481 Information Security & Assurance
    IAAS491 Cryptography
    Two letters of recommendation
    A comprehensive, three-to-five-page letter of application that focuses on your purpose in pursuing the Information Assurance MS, past experiences and future expectations

Davenport University - Master of Science Information Assurance
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    I just wanted to let you guys know that I was accepted into the MS IA program at Davenport University and start in January
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you taking it online? Let me know how it goes because I want to get into that program. Congratualtions on getting in.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Are you taking it online? Let me know how it goes because I want to get into that program. Congratualtions on getting in.

yes i am taking it online
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod

this got to be the best deal I've ever heard of so far, and looks like a good school. I'm interested in this program...or in any other affordable good programs.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    For those that are wondering, Davenport isnt a CAE but are expecting to become one by June 2011
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I went to Davenport for a couple of years but not online I went to classes a couple of nights per week. I liked the school because it was walking distance from where I was living, the classes were small and it was mostly non traditional students at night.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on admission!
  • Options
    For those that are wondering, Davenport isnt a CAE but are expecting to become one by June 2011

CAE = Center of Academic Excellence, right ??
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    CAE = Center of Academic Excellence, right ??

yep, i spoke with admissions and the head of the department and he said there on track to become a CAE by the summer of 2011
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I went to Davenport for a couple of years but not online I went to classes a couple of nights per week. I liked the school because it was walking distance from where I was living, the classes were small and it was mostly non traditional students at night.

How were the classes?

FYI for those of you that are wondering, I was accepted after completing my BS IT from WGU
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How were the classes?

FYI for those of you that are wondering, I was accepted after completing my BS IT from WGU

I went probably 7 years ago? I liked the classes, every one was taught by somebody that worked in the field. For example I had a computer tech who worked on computers for a number of years teaching my hardware/software class. They used the A+ book and he suggested we build a computer the final two weeks of class. Somebody wanted a new computer and volunteered to purchase the parts. So as we covered the hardware we would go online and search for motherboard, CPU, ETC and he would cover what to look for and we had to decide what was the best part and why.

Then we built the PC and tested it the last two weeks of class. It made the classes more enjoyable. He also pushed us to take the A+ test which two of us did, we got together twice a week and hit each other with flash cards we made. We both passed the A+ and got jobs in IT soon after lol.

Another class was a Win2K Server class, our teacher worked as a sys admin for a pharmaceutical company in our city. She had a lot of real world knowledge and advice.

I do kind of miss going to a brick and mortar school but its so hard with work, my current job would easily allow it though.
  • Options
    yep, i spoke with admissions and the head of the department and he said there on track to become a CAE by the summer of 2011

Good to know! I can't wait to get into the MSIA program.
    Booya!!
  • Options
    @Quertyiop: How are your classes going so far? Any thoughts you can share?
  • Options
    @Quertyiop: How are your classes going so far? Any thoughts you can share?

Honestly its going pretty good, the only class that I struggled on was my Application Security class and thats because it was taught from with the mindset of a developer and thats something that I never really had a passion for.

I have actually learned alot from them especially in my forensics course.

The best part about going there besides the cost to attend is that they are a CAE by the NSA/DHS and didnt give me any trouble when tranferring my degree from WGU
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    tagged for when im done with wgu

one question is it like wgu were you can take as many as you can or is it more traditional enroll in classes then wait till the term is over
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    It more traditional. Each term is split up int 2 sessions, each with one class each and each class taking 7 weeks.
    You can take more if you'd like, last term I took Advanced Computer Forensics and Wireless/mobile Security together.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ssampier wrote: »
    A strong record of academic achievement, as indicated by official transcripts and proof of proficiency on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), or one of the following Security certifications: Security +, CISSP, GSE, CCSP, SSCP, CIW, or RSA.
    Minimum passing score on a specific Security certification achieved within the last two years
    So Security+ is equivalent to a high GMAT/GRE score? Not a bad deal. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    According to their web site they have been granted the NSA/CAE credential:
    The demand for graduate-level cyber security and information assurance professionals continues to grow. The need to ensure protection of the global technology infrastructure is also increasingly critical. Davenport University is uniquely qualified to offer this program. We are proud to be:
    • Designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education (CAE/IAE).
    • Approved by The Committee on National Security Systems in conjunction with The National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for academic years 2011 through 2016.

http://www.davenport.edu/academics/graduate-studies
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So Security+ is equivalent to a high GMAT/GRE score? Not a bad deal. :)

Forget Security+, CIW's security exams are equivalent to a high GMAT/GRE score as well.

Objectively speaking (I mean that), it doesn't get any easier than that.
  • Options
    I just wanted to let all of you know that I submitted my thesis for the MSIA program at Davenport University and just found out minutes ago that I passed. I'm done though on paper wont be done until the 30th of August since that when the Summer term ends.
  • Options
    Congratulations :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Way to go! Can you post a review of your experience. Davenport is still in my top 3 list.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    nice

so it took you about 10 mths?
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    How fast did u complete the program?? is it useful and is it hard?
    I just wanted to let all of you know that I submitted my thesis for the MSIA program at Davenport University and just found out minutes ago that I passed. I'm done though on paper wont be done until the 30th of August since that when the Summer term ends.
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! :D
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    nice

so it took you about 10 mths?

started in January 2011 so more like 1.5 years

Now I can start studying for my CISSP