Options

Davenport University's MS IA Program

2»

Comments

• Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats. Let us know how the Master degree helps your career.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    started in January 2011 so more like 1.5 years

Now I can start studying for my CISSP

Do you think it is possible to finish in one year if one had a lot of time to dedicate to it?

Are there many/any group projects?

Do you have to be online for lectures or anything at specific times of day?
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MiikeB wrote: »
    Do you think it is possible to finish in one year if one had a lot of time to dedicate to it?

Are there many/any group projects?

Do you have to be online for lectures or anything at specific times of day?

It might be possible if you double up on your classes.

Every class and instructor is diffrent so some have group projects. I know for one of my projects we communicated via the phone and web chat.

From time to time some instructors schedule meetings especially when a big project is coming up but you can call in to listen to it. And most of the classes have daily discussion questions that have to be done
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!!!

Is it possible for us to read your thesis paper?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    MiikeB, it depends on both the program and your dedication. Generally, Master programs are ~30 credits (sometimes a bit more.) I had a classmate who was working a fulltime job taking 5 classes at 3 credits each. I was taking 2 classes and I was at times going insane, so I could imagine 5 classes. This classmate was part of a group project and we ended up getting a B (we communicated via Skype). Depending on the course, it can be asynchronous (no set time for lecture) OR synchronous (you have to avail yourself to when the professor wants to meet.) I'm pretty sure my Project Management course in September will be synchronous but I'm ok with that.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the [unofficial] graduation!

Please provide us with as much of a program review that you can, this school is also in one of my top 3
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Job well done. Nice work!
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for the congratulations.

I'm probably not the best person to write a review but ill post a few things about my experience there but feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

As most of you know I received my BS IT from WGU and they accepted that without a question. The cost to attend is approximately $3000 US per per term (thats for the minimum 2 classes) though I did take 3 classes on 2 of my terms so the cost for those terms went up to about $4500 US. Total I believe is ended up costing me about $18K. Don't believe what people tell you about this being an online school like UoP mainly because they are a brick and mortar school with about 8 campuses and has been around since 1866.

The classes were definitely tough and every instructor ran their classes differently. Most of the classes require you to post answers for 1 to 2 Discussion Questions a week plus about answer about 2 constructive responses to other students posts on atleast 4 different days.

Most of the classes have projects and papers that have to be submitted by the required date and a few of the instructors like to assign group projects.

I was surprised that only 2 of us were able to breeze through our Advanced Computer Forensics course because it relied heavily on Linux and open-source tools and as many of you can imagine most of my classmates were heavy Windows users.

I don't know what else to say but if you have any questions about my experiences feel free to ask.
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    Thank you all very much for the congratulations.

I'm probably not the best person to write a review but ill post a few things about my experience there but feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

As most of you know I received my BS IT from WGU and they accepted that without a question. The cost to attend is approximately $3000 US per per term (thats for the minimum 2 classes) though I did take 3 classes on 2 of my terms so the cost for those terms went up to about $4500 US. Total I believe is ended up costing me about $18K. Don't believe what people tell you about this being an online school like UoP mainly because they are a brick and mortar school with about 8 campuses and has been around since 1866.

The classes were definitely tough and every instructor ran their classes differently. Most of the classes require you to post answers for 1 to 2 Discussion Questions a week plus about answer about 2 constructive responses to other students posts on atleast 4 different days.

Most of the classes have projects and papers that have to be submitted by the required date and a few of the instructors like to assign group projects.

I was surprised that only 2 of us were able to breeze through our Advanced Computer Forensics course because it relied heavily on Linux and open-source tools and as many of you can imagine most of my classmates were heavy Windows users.

I don't know what else to say but if you have any questions about my experiences feel free to ask.

How do the Semesters work? Aug/Jan/Summer sessions?
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
  • Options
    How do the Semesters work? Aug/Jan/Summer sessions?

Semesters are broken up into 2 7 week sessions.

Fall - September to December
    Winter - January to April
    Summer - May to August
  • Options
    So to get done in 18 months did you do all 3 semesters all the time? Did you ever have to go to any testing centers or have tests proctored?

Thanks for all the information!
  • Options
    So to get done in 18 months did you do all 3 semesters all the time? Did you ever have to go to any testing centers or have tests proctored?

Thanks for all the information!

Thats correct, I went at it no stop.

The tests are not proctored and are ussually a series of questions that you can answer whenever though only 1 or 2 of my classes had these. most of the others had a group project.