Options

Strike One...ICND2

SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
So hard to use the word...FAIL icon_sad.gif

Well 68 points under , not so great but I'm studying hard again and when I earn this thing, it will be from sweat and not some ****. In my opinion ICND1 was a breeze compared to this one.

I was interested in some other ICND2 specific study materials. I've been using the Train Signal (Chris Bryant) videos, Odom book, Boson exam, Transcender exam, this website and some iphone apps.

I was a little disappointed by some conflicts between the Odom and Bryant stuff, Both are amazing but for example Train Signal focuses only on Local DLCI's and in my recollection doesn't even mention Global. Odom's section on Frame Relay barely mentions local DLCI's and focuses on Global. As well as a couple things that directly contradicted eachother in VTP theory.

Any advice ?

Comments

• Options
    And my lab too 4 routers & 3 2950's.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You're close, and now you know what you're up against. Hit the areas you were weakest in and get back there and kick that things butt.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Yeah, I've noticed some contradictions between the different videos/books too.

One example is the hold down timers for RIP. In CBT Nuggets, Jeremy says that once the timer starts, it won't believe any more updates from anywhere until the timer finishes. This will help with flapping interfaces. Yet some other material I've read or watched says that it WILL believe updates from the original source, which won't help with flapping interfaces at all! icon_scratch.gif

I just hope I don't get a question on this.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Yeah without revealing anything I definitely got a question where Odom seemed to say one thing and Bryant said another. I tried to laugh when I saw it. Not sure it helped.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Bad luck, I remember sitting that exam - it was a tough one.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wbosher wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed some contradictions between the different videos/books too.

One example is the hold down timers for RIP. In CBT Nuggets, Jeremy says that once the timer starts, it won't believe any more updates from anywhere until the timer finishes. This will help with flapping interfaces. Yet some other material I've read or watched says that it WILL believe updates from the original source, which won't help with flapping interfaces at all! icon_scratch.gif

I just hope I don't get a question on this.

I wasn't sure myself, so I thought I'd look and see what Cisco had to say. I learned a couple things about the hold down timer tonight. First, it's a Cisco thing, not a part of the actual RIP specification. Second, the Cisco site is incredibly lacking in documentation on the hold down timer (at least as far as documentation that I can find). So here's a couple other things that I found along the way that may help:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/12427
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/20422
    How basic are RIP timers? Test your knowledge now. | CCIE Blog

I'd still like to see what Cisco has to say on the topic, since they actually write the test questions. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Options
    SliznutSliznut Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have to take the CCNA the 23rd of this month. My school failed to tell me I had to buy my books (I assumed they were already covered like my last few courses), so I had a 2-3 week delay getting started even. I've taken practice tests on here and COMPLETELY BOMBED. I think I'm doomed.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sliznut wrote: »
    I have to take the CCNA the 23rd of this month. My school failed to tell me I had to buy my books (I assumed they were already covered like my last few courses), so I had a 2-3 week delay getting started even. I've taken practice tests on here and COMPLETELY BOMBED. I think I'm doomed.

What's your experience level with networking? Do you deal much with routers/switches for your day-to-day duties? Do you have any exposure to lab equipment? If so, then you shouldn't be too bad off. How long have you been studying? Why do you "have" to take it on the 23rd of this month? Can you push the exam back until you feel more confident?

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    Yeah...In my experience, you have to get to the point in which you are very confident with all the material and theory, hands on etc....then you can STILL have problems due to the pressure and timing.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    Sliznut wrote: »

I would put it off for another month, I feel you need to walk in saying there is nothing they can give me I'm worried about. Walk in as Chris Bryant say's and KILL IT"

I took my CCENT saying i think I got it and "just failed. Then I got the info walked in and killed it.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    And in my experience, there is no substitute for seeing this stuff happen on real equipment. Many times a concept like VTP config revision etc...only means so much from a page.