Repair Windows XP (help please)

Hi guys...I was hoping that I might find some assistance in this forum.

I have a Windows XP Pro machine that won't boot (get a BSOD after it flashes the Windows XP Logo - Unmoutable Boot Volume). Tried loading safe mode with Command Prompt, and notice that the BSOD happens each time it tries to load a file from /system32/drivers. I thought it was an issue with one of the driver (.sys) files, so I tried removing it (booted from Ubuntu and recovered my files + moved the driver file which I thought was causing the issue), however the same issue happens with multiple other /system32/driver/xxxxx.sys files.

I tried following the instructions here:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

However I am still not able to get the REPAIR option when I boot from the OEM XP Pro cd (I can get the recovery console though).

Given the scenario, would you have any other options I might try?

I don't want to wipe the system and do a clean install (yet).

Hoping to repair this one somehow...

Comments

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    From my experience, when it doesn't give you the option to repair, it's usually because the CD you are using isn't the same version that was used to install Windows. Even if they are both Home/Pro, they can still be different. Is this the XP cd that Windows was installed from?

Side note: "unmountable boot volume" sounds like it could be your hard drive. Have you tested it?
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Unmountable boot volume is typically some errors on the file system. Either boot into WinPE 2 or 3 or the XP Recovery Console and run a CHKDSK /r (Linux live discs arent gonna save you here)

If its a corrupted file, you can replace it with one from the disc using the same methods above

expand D:\i386\file.sy_ C:\windows\system32\file.sys
  • up2thetimeup2thetime Member Posts: 154
    Thanks for the responses guys
    xenodamus wrote: »
    Is this the XP cd that Windows was installed from?

No, I don't have access to that disc...
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Unmountable boot volume is typically some errors on the file system. Either boot into WinPE 2 or 3 or the XP Recovery Console and run a CHKDSK /r

Tried that...
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    If its a corrupted file, you can replace it with one from the disc using the same methods above

expand D:\i386\file.sy_ C:\windows\system32\file.sys

Tried that as well...

The problem is when it tries to use NTFS.SYS... I get the BSOD, and the computer restarts...

I replaced the file with the NTFS.sys from the OEM XP Pro Cd... No luck

Any other suggestions that could potentially avoid a fresh install...?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could just be a bad disk or a bad cable to the disk.

What did the chkdsk tell you?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • up2thetimeup2thetime Member Posts: 154
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Could just be a bad disk or a bad cable to the disk.

What did the chkdsk tell you?

Hey you know what...

I think I ran CHKDSK with the wrong switch...

I believe my initial attempt was CHKDSK /p

I took the suggestion above and did a CHKDSK /r ... this took a very, very long time to complete. It said that it fixed 1 or more errors. Then I did a restart. It appears that it is working correctly now!

I booted Windows, and everything is working as it should.

Thank you guys very much for the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated!