Options

Cisco 640-822 simulator vs. Packet Tracer

mjonesmjones Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone out there in tech land. It has been a while since I visited site and even longer posting a message/question. I will get straight to the point.

I work for a small 20-35 member company. The owner of the company has asked another gentleman and myself to attend the Cisco Networking Academy to hone our networking skills eventually obtaining the CCNA certification. I will be attending in Spring of next year. My boss wanted me to start practing with a simulator. I researched the Cisco site and located the 640-822 simulator. Should I purchase and download this? How does it compare to Packet Tracer (in which ONLY Academy student have access to)? Should I just wait until Spring eventualy obtaining the Packet Tracer software/program/material? Do you recommend any NON Cisco simulators? Finally, outside of the real deal hardware, is Packet Tracer THE BEST simulation software out there (is that why Cisco ONLY allows their enrolled students to have acces to it)? I have a super busy schedule I only want to practice/study with whatever is the best simulator/material out there that will help me obtain CCNA. Oh, by the way is there a new revision/test # for the CCNA coming out soon?

I want to thank any and all who respond and came help me in the right direction.

A.A.
B.S.
A+
Network+

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PacketTracer was designed specifically for CCNA students. Between it and the hands on with real gear that you'll get in the classroom, there's no way I would recommend purchasing an additional piece of software for the exact same task. I can't say PacketTracer is the best, but its more than adequate.
  • Options
    HardDiskHardDisk Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you checked out Dynamips/GNS Cisco router simulator. This simulator uses actual Cisco IOS so it is far superior to any other router simulator on the market and it is free.

Note: you must provide your own Cisco IOS to use with GNS3 due to licensing issues.

Below is a link to a YouTube video that walks you through the start-up processes.

YouTube - Install and Configure the Dynamips/GNS Cisco router simulator

I would also recommend that you download the file "GNS3-0.5-tutorial.pdf. Search Google or "The Cisco Learning Network" site to find this file.

I agree with Alan2308 when he says, " I can't say PacketTracer is the best, but its more than adequate.". I would add that being familiar with GNS3 is a big step towards becoming a true Cisco professional.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    I used and using one from ciscopress ccna network simulator. its broken up into the icnd1 and icnd2 with a total of 250 labs. If you dig online you can find a great deal and I feel its a great product.

product info
    CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ToddB wrote: »
    I used and using one from ciscopress ccna network simulator. its broken up into the icnd1 and icnd2 with a total of 250 labs. If you dig online you can find a great deal and I feel its a great product.

product info
    CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator

++++1, I have as well and getting back into it.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)