Options

Yahoo.. curious

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey everyone,

I was just given a link to yahoo and I have not thought about them in ages. Couple years at least. I remember I used to use them all the time. I had my rocketmail, geocities, chat, email and my news all setup perfectly. At some point I was bouncing between yahoo and google. Google for search, yahoo for services. More and more they started intermixing ads in with their news and trying to disguise it as news. And it was kind the last straw for me, so I went and switched my services to google.

Just curious, what made you (assuming you ever did use it) walk away from Yahoo?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I use it all.

MSN/Hotmail, Google, Yahoo, AOL
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I haven't walked away from yahoo... yet. I had for a time my private hotmail and yahoo addresses in parallel but then hotmail service was a real mess, unpredictable, unavailable at times, tons of spam you couldn't filter etc. so I stayed with yahoo.
    My impression is, the amount of news-vertisments online just reflects how bad it is off- line, with the rest of the media. TV just keeps getting worse, it isn't enough anymore that the original programming is just a pause between two waves of commercials now even the original programming is a commercial itself. Every TV station/channel now airs brain **** of varying amount. Of course the cancer will spread to online media, it seems there's no escape.
    Also, yahoo, google, hotmail/MSN, they are all into social networking now, so results are obvious. Social media is a heaven for advertisers. It's their wonderfull new playground with lots of guinea pigs to experiment on.
    Tell me one worthy online news resource without product placement and other forms of ad assault.
  • Options
    You have to watch a 30 second ad to see a 2 minute clip. And you better not miss any of it, because if you want to watch it again then you're gonna have to sit through the same ad again lol
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea, Yahoo! has lost their edge and delved into suckage. Until recently, i was getting better results from Ask.com

The adds that take over the whole screen enrage me (intrusive advertising i'm guessing). I stopped using Yahoo! and most of their services due to those ads and i give them an earful every time one pops up. Which i'm surprised they haven't banned me.

Advertising doesn't do much good when it drives away your customer.

As Devilsbane mentioned, having to watch advertising for every single video.

Delays when delivering attachments much over a few megs. I love when an email shows up 3 days later...

Having my password changed 3 times in one day and couldn't get their assistance (hacked i guess). Finally changed everything.

Oh and the best: I occasionally email myself from the same address and there is only one recipient (me). I do this occasionally, maybe once every few weeks. Well they decide to ban me from sending emails for 3 days on 4 different occasions. Way to save the internets Yahoo!!!
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I still use Yahoo! for every thing.

I hate how google and bing switch to my native language automatically icon_evil.gif.

And I actually enjoy the bits of news and other articles that I get on Yahoo's main page.

I hate hotmail's cluttered mail box + I have no idea why Gmail takes a long time to load the simple main page on a slow connection.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    wd40 wrote: »
    I hate how google and bing switch to my native language automatically icon_evil.gif.
    How is that a bad thing? You can just bookmark the generic US site anyway.
    I have no idea why Gmail takes a long time to load the simple main page on a slow connection.
    Use the basic HTML Gmail view if you're on a slow connection. The regular view may look simple but there is a lot going on behind the scenes with AJAX.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    How is that a bad thing? You can just bookmark the generic US site anyway.

Use the basic HTML Gmail view if you're on a slow connection. The regular view may look simple but there is a lot going on behind the scenes with AJAX.

My native language is read from right to left, reading English from right to left is annoying, screen shot attached, and I can not bookmark the US page, it redirects me to the local site.

Why use the basic GMail version if the full Yahoo! version loads fastericon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Never used y@h00 on purpose.

Thought it was pretty lame, and before google, I used AskJeeves and FTP, but earlier it was GOPHER and BBS days...

Perhaps if it had a better name, but every time I hear it I think Yoohoo.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    My native language is read from right to left, reading English from right to left is annoying, screen shot attached, and I can not bookmark the US page, it redirects me to the local site.
    Ahh. Go to Google and you can bookmark that. If you don't add anything to the end of the URL then it will do the country autodetection.
    Why use the basic GMail version if the full Yahoo! version loads fastericon_exclaim.gif
    True. I use Gmail because of the free POP3/IMAP and Android integration.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Never liked Yahoo anyway, so I never moved from it, because I was never with it.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    yahoo... serious

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint
  • Options
    I actually use yahoo as my home page. It is a capable search engine and I enjoy taking a peek at the headlines. I do have an email address/chat account but I rarely use it.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    My wife has used a yahoo email address for years and she finally decided to start using Outlook this weekend. So, I try to set up her Yahoo as POP3 and it turns out you can only POP Yahoo if you upgrade to Mail Plus for $19.99/year....wth?!??

Looked like there were some free programs out there to proxy between Outlook and Yahoo, but it really shouldn't be that much trouble. I never used them anyway, but definitely won't after finding that out.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I still use Yahoo. I enjoy reading Yahoo news and comics. Also I still have my yahoo email address; same one from 1996.

I think Yahoo has some good properties, flickr, del.icio.us, etc, but doesn't know how to tie them together and make them one.

Yahoo search hasn't been good for years. I use Google for search. I have mixed opinions of other Google services; some are great (Google Mail/Gmail), some are not so great (Postini really needs an interface update).
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    ssampier wrote: »
    some are not so great (Postini really needs an interface update).
    I wouldn't be surprised if Google acquired Postini for the filtering technology and not the service itself. Postini isn't really advertised that well unlike the other Google hosting services.
  • Options
    xenodamus wrote: »
    My wife has used a yahoo email address for years and she finally decided to start using Outlook this weekend. So, I try to set up her Yahoo as POP3 and it turns out you can only POP Yahoo if you upgrade to Mail Plus for $19.99/year....wth?!??

Looked like there were some free programs out there to proxy between Outlook and Yahoo, but it really shouldn't be that much trouble. I never used them anyway, but definitely won't after finding that out.

Use IMAP. I use it on my phone and it works great. Better than POP3 anyway.

My phone set it up automatically.
    Incoming server: palm.imap.mail.yahoo.com
    port 143
    Outgoing server: palm.smtp.mail.yahoo.com
    port 25

Apparently it doesn't use encryption though, at least not the default settings. I never use it anyway so I guess it isn't a big deal.
  • Options
    ssampier wrote: »
    Yahoo search hasn't been good for years. I use Google for search. I have mixed opinions of other Google services; some are great (Google Mail/Gmail), some are not so great (Postini really needs an interface update).

I user yahoo search all the time. I don't really see a difference between it and google. Things pop up in a different order, but I always find what I'm looking for. For a long time it was powered by google. Now I believe yahoo is in it with Microsoft and it is powered by Bing.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yahoo is fail at everything but some news. I have to pay to have yahoo forward to my mail client? What a load of bull.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Yahoo is fail at everything but some news. I have to pay to have yahoo forward to my mail client? What a load of bull.
    That has nearly always been a paid feature if it was a supported feature. It changed when Gmail came along with it as a supported free feature. If you don't like that policy then you'll just have to move. Not like you're paying for this service :P
  • Options
    That has nearly always been a paid feature if it was a supported feature. It changed when Gmail came along with it as a supported free feature. If you don't like that policy then you'll just have to move. Not like you're paying for this service :P

Hence why I don't use yahoo. AOL provided it as a free feature as well. That seems to set the standard pretty low if yahoo can't provide what AOL can. (Considering AOL likes to copy yahoo...)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    Hence why I don't use yahoo. AOL provided it as a free feature as well. That seems to set the standard pretty low if yahoo can't provide what AOL can. (Considering AOL likes to copy yahoo...)
    You can get free webmail from AOL without being a customer? Who actually willingly goes to AOL to get an address o.O

Gmail shook things up in the free webmail world with the free supported POP3/IMAP and large amount of storage space. Before them, you'd be lucky to get more than 20MB.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I wouldn't be surprised if Google acquired Postini for the filtering technology and not the service itself. Postini isn't really advertised that well unlike the other Google hosting services.

You're probably right. That didn't stop Google from trying to sell me a Google Postini package with a $700 setup fee. If you work for a corporation $700 is nothing. For our small org $700 was a lot of money. We went with a very nice reseller in Tennessee.

The interface baffled them sometimes, too.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    You can get free webmail from AOL without being a customer? Who actually willingly goes to AOL to get an address o.O

Gmail shook things up in the free webmail world with the free supported POP3/IMAP and large amount of storage space. Before them, you'd be lucky to get more than 20MB.
    True, you would open an account there only if you are a customer, which I had when I was a customer back in the era of dial-up. AOL is the original leader in the amount of news- vertising and ad assaults. Its client never went away despite all my uninstallation efforts on my old computer. The scariest AOL episode though happened to one of my neighbours: during a customer service call, it was accidentally revealed that AOL monitored all her web activity, web sites visited, messages over AOL messenger etc. AOL no more. Looking back, even today's Yahoo advertising practices look like a picnic compared to what AOL used to do.
    Yahoo actually shook things up first when they came up with unlimited storage while everybody else had limits. That was even before GMail came to be.
    Haven't checked my gmail account in ages. It's just scary how instantly a connection is made between gmail account info and YouTube.
  • Options

When you can skip AOL's webmail and use your own client? Why wouldn't you back in the day when it was that, yahoo, and no invite to gmail.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    When you can skip AOL's webmail and use your own client? Why wouldn't you back in the day when it was that, yahoo, and no invite to gmail.
    Everybody I know just used to use hotmail. You used to be able to get Outlook integration for free.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use and read yahoo everyday. I like the "my home page" features. I get to edit it with the news i want to read in little notes/widgets when i pop open my home page. I am sure google does the same, but yahoo does everything i want already and my email i do not wish to change it. I keep my needs simple (search engine/email/some news), yahoo has been there for more than 10years supplying my needs, i just use google as a secondary source search engine. I enjoy visiting CNN.com for my news articles. Other than that i dont see why yahoo can't co-exist with google.

Maybe someday Jobs will introduce iSearch website to compete with google and microsoft lol
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    chrisone wrote: »
    Maybe someday Jobs will introduce iSearch website to compete with google and microsoft lol
    As it is Apple, you'd have to conform to the iSearch guidelines and if you didn't pass the approval process for your site then you wouldn't get in. You'd also not be able to link to any competing search engines or make anything that is also an Apple product line :D
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My wife still uses a Yahoo! email address which she's been using since middle school. Yahoo! is old and busted and to me doesn't have any value when there are much better alternatives out there.

I do prefer Yahoo! fantasy football over any other service but my league is at ESPN this year so I'm even getting away from Yahoo! there.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    As it is Apple, you'd have to conform to the iSearch guidelines and if you didn't pass the approval process for your site then you wouldn't get in. You'd also not be able to link to any competing search engines or make anything that is also an Apple product line :D
    The scariest thing is, some corporate head somewhere is reading just this and is summoning his/her developer minions to execute exactly what you said icon_lol.gif Having the cloak of anonimity of social media, this would be justified by milions of users (although there's just some script somewhere on an iComputer tweeting in their names and updating their status) and there you have it. iSearch.icon_lol.gif