Options

killed my switch, xmodem is great

Well I was going to bed early but I decided to upgrade one of my 2900xl switches since it didnt support from of the VLAN commands my other 2900's support.

Long story short I ended up wiping it out and putting it into an un-recoverable state.

After playing around for about 2 hours I have now wiped and upgraded all 3 of my switches using xmodem. I feel accomplished...its my first IOS format/reload lol.

Now I can do it in just as much time it takes to transfer at 115200 baud.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    We never learn quite as much as when we really break something and have to fix it. You'll be the hero of the IT department the first time someone bricks a Cisco device in production because you'll be prepared to hop in and fix it. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You'll be the hero of the IT department the first time someone bricks a Cisco device in production because you'll be prepared to hop in and fix it. icon_thumright.gif

So true...
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's painful the first time, but trust me, you won't do it again icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    He might just for the practice.lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It's painful the first time, but trust me, you won't do it again icon_wink.gif
    Pfft. People do it one and a half times! Half of 9600 and then again at 115200 ;)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    Pfft. People do it one and a half times! Half of 9600 and then again at 115200 ;)

I stand corrected icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    bogidubogidu Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I was going to bed early but I decided to upgrade one of my 2900xl switches since it didnt support from of the VLAN commands my other 2900's support.

Long story short I ended up wiping it out and putting it into an un-recoverable state.

After playing around for about 2 hours I have now wiped and upgraded all 3 of my switches using xmodem. I feel accomplished...its my first IOS format/reload lol.

LOL! This is timely, I just bought a 3660 that was corrupted and didn't have the flash card, I had to learn to do the same thing. Xmodem, talk about a blast from the past! :D
  • Options
    Newer devices have TFTP support in ROMMON so it isn't quite as painful if you wipe those out. Still good to know and experience a proper XMODEM upload tho.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Newer devices have TFTP support in ROMMON so it isn't quite as painful if you wipe those out. Still good to know and experience a proper XMODEM upload tho.

One would think a new 3750 would support it, but guess how surprised we where sending an IOS over xmodem.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    One would think a new 3750 would support it, but guess how surprised we where sending an IOS over xmodem.
    Hmm... Thinking about it. I've only ever used TFTP in ROMMON from routers. Can you even do TFTP in ROMMON on a switch?
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hmm... Thinking about it. I've only ever used TFTP in ROMMON from routers. Can you even do TFTP in ROMMON on a switch?

Hmmm interesting thought. Now that I think about it as well that was the first switch I came across and had to use ROMMON to resolve it. It had been routers in the past as well.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    chmorin wrote: »

Hahah I hear you man , bricking a 2600xm had me sending an IOS over ymodem
    hours of fun... literally, hours
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jovan88 wrote: »
    Hahah I hear you man , bricking a 2600xm had me sending an IOS over ymodem
    hours of fun... literally, hours

For me, my new (at the time) 2950 died and it took hours to restore it

My wife had bought it for me and I thought she was a jinx until I fixed it

:)
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I screwed up my 2950 and had to do that xmodem as well. Pretty weird, but it worked eventually.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384

Good job man. I got a 2950 off of craigslist and one of them wouldn't load so i to go through the same grueling processes. needless to say, it definately makes you feel good when you're able to do it.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Yeah I did the same thing not long ago with one of my rotuers. After about 15 minutes on google and lot's of tinkering I feel very confident with upgrading, backup, etc.

There is nothing like having a real lab to break. It gives you true real world experience. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    bcall64 wrote: »
    There is nothing like having a real lab to break. It gives you true real world experience. icon_cheers.gif

Very true. I sometimes feel like I'm at work when something major breaks in my lab. Only difference is that my job is not on the line when I'm trying to fix something.

• Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Very true. I sometimes feel like I'm at work when something major breaks in my lab. Only difference is that my job is not on the line when I'm trying to fix something.

It makes it so much more fun when your job isn't on the line doesn't it? You can be a pure geek when it's your baby.
  • Options
    bcall64 wrote: »
    It makes it so much more fun when your job isn't on the line doesn't it? You can be a pure geek when it's your baby.

I don't know, I tend to feel a lot more accomplished when I averted a major disaster at work, as opposed to figuring out the same problem in my lab. There's something exhilarating about "surviving in the trenches", isn't there? icon_lol.gif

• Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We never learn quite as much as when we really break something and have to fix it.

+1

Crashed my first computer with Windows 95A playing the US Navy Fighters Gold F-14 simulator. (1996)

My computer privileges were taken away for a while.........LOL
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    I don't know, I tend to feel a lot more accomplished when I averted a major disaster at work, as opposed to figuring out the same problem in my lab. There's something exhilarating about "surviving in the trenches", isn't there? icon_lol.gif

I like it when everything is running smoothly and I have time to browse TechExams

• Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    I like it when everything is running smoothly and I have time to browse TechExams

Touche! :D

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    good old xmodem...... brings back bad old memories of the bbs days.

why oh why couldnt cisco at least support zmodem.
  • Options

I haven't had the chance to work a networking job yet. Mainly just help desk, 2nd level support, and technical support. As far as working in the trenches there it hasn't been anything terribly exciting.

I hope to have a networking job in the future.